• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HOMOSEXUALITY: What the Bible Does & Does Not Say

greatcalgarian

Various Christian groups interpret Bible passages in totally different ways, and reach mutually exclusive conclusions:

topbul1d.gif
[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Conservative Christians: Many believe that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis 19, like passages elsewhere in the Bible, refers to homosexuality as a forbidden, detestable practice deserving of the most serious punishment -- death. God created the institution of heterosexual marriage as the only valid relationship for humans within which sexual activity can be performed without sin.[/font]
topbul1d.gif
[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Liberal Christians: Many believe that texts in Genesis and the rest of the Bible make it clear that Sodom was punished because of the violent, abusive, inhospitable, greedy, and unsympathetic behavior of its citizens towards visitors, widows, the poor and other disadvantaged persons. Genesis 19 may condemn homosexual rape simply because it is rape. It would then be consistent with Deuteronomy 22:25-29 which condemns heterosexual rape. The passage does not impact on consensual homosexual activities between consenting adults, and is totally unrelated to loving, committed, same-sex relationships, civil unions and marriages. [/font][font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]

Most religious liberals are are faced with the inescapable and rather surprising conclusion that the condemned activities in Sodom probably had nothing to do with sodomy. As one Christian editor wrote: "To suggest that Sodom and Gomorra is about homosexual sex is an analysis of about as much worth as suggesting that the story of Jonah and the whale is a treatise on fishing." 1

There is ironic aspect to this passage that is rarely discussed: God seems to condemn the citizens for insensitive treatment and harassment of others. But, this is the very passage that many conservative and some mainline Christian faith groups use to attack gays and lesbians.

The real story of Sodom may well have involved a mob driven by fear and hatred, attempting to humiliate, by rape, people that they do not know. Ironically, the Sodom situation has many parallels to gay-bashing today, with members of the public trying to assault gay and lesbian strangers who seek shelter from the mob.

[/font]
Perhaps a more sensible read into Sodom is from this web page:
[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibg.htm:jiggy:
[/font]

greatcalgarian

Pah: Would it be homosexuality with children and women in the crowd? ... or inhospitality at a time when strangers were very suspicious?

The Advent page arguement is that there was no evidence from the whole holy book of Bible that prove inhospitality could bring forth the consequence of destruction of the entire city, but HOMOSEXUALITY, the sin abhored by God, brought wrath to those poor soul of children and women. I am not agreeing with Advent:tsk: , I am just posting to show how the Catholics mind are working:bonk:

SoliDeoGloria

If this is how this should be started, so be it:
http://www.equip.org/free/DP801.htm
How many more would you like me to come up with?

The most beautiful word in the Gospel of Jesus Christ is "whosoever."
Which is always followed by a prerequisite for something. Take for instance the infamous John 3:16; "... that whosoever believes in Him should not perish..." So the term "whosoever" is not just a blanket term for everybody to not perish but everybody who follows the prerequisite of believing in Jesus.

All of God's promises are intended for every human being.
Following this logic, every human being should be able to just walk into Isreal and God will drive out it's inhabitants so that it can be theirs (Josh. 1:3-4)

How tragic it is that the Christian Church has excluded and persecuted people who are homosexual!
That is truly a tragedy especially when you consider that the Aposlte Paul had accepted people who had repented of that lifestyle (1 Cor. 6:9-11)

For many centuries, the Christian Church's attitude toward human sexuality was very negative: sex was for procreation, not for pleasure;
Is the best way to counter this unbiblical attitude with a negative steriotype? The Bible promotes both procreation and pleasue when it comes to human sexuality (see The Song of Solomon a.k.a. Song of Songs). With that being noted, I am curious if your solution to this negative attitude would be to promote sex for pleasure and not for procreation?

Such tradition often continues to influence churches today. Many teach that women should be subordinate to men, continue to permit forms of discrimination against peoples of color, and condemn homosexuals.
Do you have anything to validate this statement? I live in what has been called "The Bible Belt" and the Southern Baptist church I attend in the small Iowa town I live in does not promote these kinds of traditions. How many churches have you been to that do these things compared to how many that don't?

Other churches today are influenced by a century of psychoanalytic thought promoted through a powerful minority in the field of medicine. They see homosexuality as some kind of sickness. Although this view has now been soundly discredited by the medical profession, some churches and clergy continue to be influenced by the idea. They say that homosexuals are "imperfect" and in need of "healing."
And you keep using the term "homosexuals" and "gay men and lesbians". While I agree with this statement, isn't using those terms treating people who have chosen to live such a lifestyle as if they are a different kind of human rather than a human who has chosen to life a certain type of lifestyle? There are Christian ministries trying to educate other Christians why they shouldn't even be using terms "homosexuals, or "gay men and lesbians" for that very reason.

Biblical interpretation and theology also change from time to time. Approximately 150 years ago in the United States, some Christian teaching held that there was a two-fold moral order: black and white. Whites were thought to be superior to blacks, therefore blacks were to be subservient and slavery was an institution ordained by God. Clergy who supported such an abhorrent idea claimed the authority of the Bible. The conflict over slavery led to divisions which gave birth to some major Christian denominations. These same denominations, of course, do not support slavery today. Did the Bible change? No, their interpretation of the Bible did!

New Information Refutes Old Ideas
What influences lead us to new ways of understanding Scripture? New scientific information, social changes, and personal experience are perhaps the greatest forces for change in the way we interpret the Bible and develop our beliefs. Scientific awareness of homosexual orientation did not exist until the nineteenth century
You would probably really be interested in the history of this. I know I am. What I find interesting is your acknowledgement that not all Christian denominations taught such an abhorrent idea (BTW, you are very right about this). In other words, before New scientific information, social changes, and personal experience, there were Christian denomiations not teaching the abhorrent idea you gave as an example. If that is the case, the next question should be, what exactly influenced the denominations that didn't teach the abhorrent idea especially when you consider that, as you stated, the Bible doesn't change?

Second, all of Sodom's people participated in the assault on Lot's house; in no culture has more than a small minority of the population been homosexual
First off, I don't know exactly what translation of the Bible you are using, so I won't get into that. I personally preffer the NASB. The way it renders Gen. 19:4 is "Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the peolpe from every quarter."
This verse is not trying to state that there were old ladies with canes and babies outside the house causing problems but clearly validates twice that what is meant by "all the people from every quarter" is all "the men of Sodom". Second, with that being noted, this was not even all the men of the "culture" but rather just the city which is very different. But, if you want to go there anyways, you should check out Scandinavia http://www.weeklystandard.com/content/public/articles/000/000/003/660zypwj.asp

Third, Lot's offer to release his daughters suggests he knew his neighbors to have heterosexual interests.
That still deosn't negate that these neighbors of his also had sexual interests in the visitors that he had in his house who were portrayed as males(it's called bisexuality) but rather, when kept in it's proper context, validates that their interests were, as you confirmed, sexual in nature, and not to "have thorough knowledge of... intent to examine the visitors' credentials". Why would Lot have offered his daughters to a bunch of guys looking to examine the visitors credentials?

Fourth, if the issue was sexual, why did God spare Lot, who immediately commits incest with his daughters?
Didn't you just confirm that the issue was sexual? But as far as Lot goes, the answer to that question can be found in Gen. 18:20-33 and why Abraham was so concerned about the city being destroyed. Lot was a relative of Abraham's. When Sodom had fallen in a war (Gen 14), Abraham had gone to rescue his relative Lot (Gen. 14:16) and when the king of Sodom offered Abraham the "goods", Abraham refused (Gen. 14:21-24). So while it is clear that Abraham could probably care less about Sodom, it could be easily and logically concluded that God had saved Lot on Abraham's account and nothing more.

EZEKIAL 16:48-50 states it clearly: The people of Sodom, like many people today, had abundance of material goods. But they failed to meet the needs of the poor, and they worshipped idols
It then states in verse 50 "Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before me..." The question then becomes, what exactly were these "abominations"? there are many things that are listed as abominations to God in the Bible.

Christians today do not follow the rules and rituals described in Leviticus. But some ignore its definitions of their own "uncleanness" while quoting Leviticus to condemn "homosexuals." Such abuse of Scripture distorts the Old Testament
meaning and denies a New Testament message. "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." These words occur solely in the Holiness Code of Leviticus, a ritual manual for Israel's priests. Their meaning can only be fully appreciated in the historical and cultural context of the ancient Hebrew people. Israel, in a unique place as the chose people of one God, was to avoid the practices of other peoples and gods.
Are you attempting to turn the Hebrew people inta a race? Do you know what the term proselyte means(Exodus 12:48; Ezr. 6:21)? On top of that, both Leviticus chapters 18 and 20 start of with "speak" or "say to the sons of Isreal" not "say to the Levites" which would've made those chapters specifically preistly laws.

The Hebrew word for a male cult prostitute, qadesh, is mistranslated "sodomite" in some versions of the Bible.
O.K. so use a more accurate version of the Bible. That still would not negate that these male prostitutes may have been used for satisfying homosexual desires.

Given the strong association of toevah with idolatry and the canaanite religious practice of cult prostitution, the use of toevah regarding male same-sex acts in Leviticus calls into question any conclusion that such condemnation also applies to loving, responsible homosexual relationships.
That same word is found in Deut. 12:31 where the emphasis has to do with the idolatros act of burning sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. would you use the same conclusion there as if there was such a thing as a loving was of burning one's children in a fire to theirs gods?

Such concerns were ultimately reflected by Jesus Christ, who said nothing about homosexuality, but a great deal about love, justice, mercy and faith.
Amen!!! And the Love Jesus was refferring to was not a naive acceptance of anything whether it is good or bad but rather "does not rejoice with unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth" (1 Cor.13.6)

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

greatcalgarian

This brings us to Lot again. He is just one of many characters in the Bible who make those in even the most risqué of modern novels look almost saintlike. Sodom was presumably so morally corrupt that Yahweh deemed its destruction necessary, but because Lot and his family were "righteous," Yahweh sent two angels to the city to warn them to flee before the destruction. The "righteousness" of Lot, which prompted this divine intervention was later described in the New Testament.

For if God did not spare the angels who sinned but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness to be reserved for darkness... and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly; and delivered righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds)­then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment... (2 Peter 2:4-9).

Upon reading this, one would think that Lot was the very epitome of sainthood. So just how "righteous" was Lot? In earlier articles, I have already summarized his part in the story about the destruction of Sodom. When a group of homosexual ruffians surrounded Lot's home and demanded that he send out the two men (angels) so that the mob could "know them," Lot pleaded with them to take his virgin daughters instead and "do to them as you please"(Gen. 19:1-11). After the angels had zapped the mob blind, Lot and his family fled the city, but when the fire and brimstone rained down on Sodom, Lot's wife looked back and was turned into a pillar of salt. (Am I actually having a discussion with someone who believes that such nonsense as this really happened?) Then when Lot and his daughters had escaped into the mountains, they got him drunk on alternate nights, took turns seducing him, and as a result became pregnant and gave birth to Moab and Benammi, the eponymous founders of the Moabites and Ammonites (Gen. 19:30-38).
http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/2000/5/205fury.html
Farrell Till has explained Lot's episode nicely.

anders

SoliDeoGloria said:
First off, I don't know exactly what translation of the Bible you are using, so I won't get into that. I personally preffer the NASB. The way it renders Gen. 19:4 is "Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the peolpe from every quarter."
This verse is not trying to state that there were old ladies with canes and babies outside the house causing problems but clearly validates twice that what is meant by "all the people from every quarter" is all "the men of Sodom".
It is unfortunately true that many translations write "men". Exceptions are at least Russian zjiteli "inhabitants" and Hindi logõ "the people". I interpret the Hebrew 'anšê as "inhabitants".

That word has several meanings, including "humanity, mankind", and is used to indicate belong to a person or a people. One example is Gn 39:14 anšê `ibrî "a Hebrew person". Regarding the age of the spectators, The Revised English Bible has "both young and old, everyone without exception", and, to drive home the point in v. 11 "both young and old". Other languages have the same repetition.

Bass04life

A man and a woman are designed to reproduce, when God created Eve, he made her fully capable of reproduction. How do you know that? Gen. 3: 16 , "To the woman He said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." That makes it obvious that God intended for Adam and Eve to reproduce at some point and that the womans desire was intended for her husband.He also instructs Noah to bring two of each species, male and female, and after the flood orders them to reproduce and fill the earth. In Chapter 9: 1 He orders Noah and his sons to, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth." and in verse 7 "As for you, be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it." Realize that I am not trying to condemn homosexuals, I have friends who are homosexual myself but I'm asking supporters of homosexuality to look at the facts and judge from a position devoid of passion and love, rather from a position of logic and a desire to find truth. I have listened to your argument so please listen to my very simple but well grounded belief and judge it accordingly. If it's a lie, tell me and give me proof as to why so that I can correct my ways, but if what I say is true, re-evaluate your position and judge for yourself if homosexuality is something God supports.

Two men cannot reproduce, Two women cannot reproduce. A healthy man and a healthy woman can. When a man and a woman create a child, they give glory to God because they create life. God is life. Even in situations such as rape do you believe God frowns on the child? Of course not, a life is a life and God sees every new child as a potential to accomplish something great. So for a man and a woman to create a child whether they do so in love or not, they create another life that has the potential to glorify God and witness for him. Two men who love each other and claim to love God cannot give that glory to him. Two women who love each other and claim to love God cannot give that glory to him. The only justifications for a homosexual relationship are love and pleasure. Rather, the two motivations for marriage is love and sex. Now lets pretend we have the "perfect" homosexual couple. They love each other, love God, and have commited to saving themselves for each other in marriage. How is that wrong? Love can be found anywhere, for instance, all churches can show love, all parents can show love, all friends can show love etc. So the only real reason for a "God fearing homosexual couple" to commit to a homosexual relationship is for pleasure alone since sex is the one form of love that is supposed to only be shared in marriage. Therefore a "homosexual christian" cannot exist because he/she is commited to giving glory and pleasure to him/herself rather than God. The devil wants glory for himself, the devil is concerned with self-pleasure. A homosexual couple exemplifies that aspect of the devils character perfectly then because they are incapable of reproducing, but unlike some males or females who are born incapable of reproducing they make a blatant choice to act out the devils character by refusing to give glory to God when taking part in what is supposed to be the most sacred part of marriage.

That would also explain why God did nothing when Lot had children by his daughters. If you look carefully at Chapter 19 verses 30-38 of Genesis, you will read that his daughters made a planned out choice to get him drunk and sleep with him and the bible states that, "he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up." What the bible also does here is give a motive as to why, verse 31,32, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father." They did not do it for pleasure. And if you look closely I have no doubt that you will find both Moabite and Ammonite children who accomplished a great deal and gave much glory to God. Thanks for the open-mind, if you still believe that I'm wrong, please show me why and correct me. Thanks again.

Pah

Uber all member
Bass04life,

I'll address the procreation issue.

If God had intended only reproduction for sex, then he has a funny way of showing it. First, not all of his creations even has sex for reproduction. Some of his creation is set up so that, in some species, only reproducing females exist for a period of time and when it is warmer some of the females change to males. Some species keep the genders apart and when in rut the female will have sex with many males. Many species have females that "wander" for sex when the "husband is not looking (I'm not speaking of humanity but birds and primates do this).

If the only pattern for sex stated in the bible is the moralistic monogomy of Genisus and we can observe what really happens in nature (God's creation). then the Boible is only telling a small part of the story. Nature does not have exclusively "one man, one woman" and even the Bible recognizes that in the concubines and multiple wives of many biblical characters.

We can even observe in nature, homosexual sex among hundreds of species documented by science. The prohibition against homosexuality is a social construct within the morality some societies adopt. The bible is only the book of one such society. And the book clearly states in the New Testamant that love is the primary emotive purpose of humaity and God which places the "sin" of homosexuality in a contradictory position.

Now of this address the clitoris

Bass04life

"God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27 Directly after this statement he tells them "Be fruitful and increase in number, fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over very living creature that moves on the ground." He set us apart from his other creations and clearly expected more of us. If human's were made in the image and likeness of God, then the sexual tendencies of other species in nature has no bearing on how we should conduct ourselves. Look at the garden, what tempted Eve? A serpent. God created the serpent who tempted Eve the same as he created everything else. So looking to animals who weren't created in the image nor likeness of God for justification of our actions isn't right. Oh yea and the reason why I keep going to Genesis is because your question deals with a relationship between two people. I believe Genesis would be the perfect place to look for answers then because Adam and Eve were the only couple who (for a short time) did not sin. They were perfect and were as God intended them to be. I believe its due to God's mercy that he allowed society and culture to distort his original plan for a relationship between two humans, but since Genesis is the only showing of God's original intentions for a man and a woman, I focus on that book for this question.

You also argue that, "And the book clearly states in the New Testamant that love is the primary emotive purpose of humaity and God which places the "sin" of homosexuality in a contradictory position.". If I'm understanding your argument correctly, your saying that If God is love then he loves everything. Your argument also is saying that if he loves everything, then the "sin" of homosexuality contradicts God's love right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I disagree completely if that is what your trying to argue because if homosexuality is a sin, your saying that unless God loves that sin he is not love. Is murder a sin? Should God love murder or does he love the murderer, despite his sin? So my beliefs don't just condemn a homosexual relationship, but all sexual relationships that don't give glory to God. I see abortion equal to the sin of strapping on a condom equal to the sin of homosexuality. Do I seem like I'm trying to point fingers? I'm not, I'm subject to the same law that I believe everyone else is. Is it hard to follow? Yes, if and only if your concern is self rather than God. So does that make the pleasure of sex a sin, even if it's shared in marriage? No, it doesn't. Who declared that glorifying God had to include suffering? It's obvious a martyr gives glory to God, but so does a preacher who loves what he does and gets a great amount of pleasure and satisfaction from preaching every week. So pleasure isn't wrong, God created it. It's just a matter of who your giving the glory too.

Pah

Uber all member
A few fundemental misconceptions about what I said, Basso4kife.

The reference to love was intended to reflect human love for the homosexual commanded by Jesus and unconditional love means an acceptance of that total persona.

I was also talking about the nature of God's creation. If he thought is was okay to give the animals homosexuality why do you think that he would not okay the same thing in his greatest animal.

true blood

"And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept; and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh. And the rib, the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, "This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh'. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

The words of Adam are interesting mainly because they are his own, not God's. And this was pre-downfall era. A time in which Adam held the scepter of power of the world (given to him by God, of course). It was Adam who first declared heterosexualness as an eartly law. (Lot's daughters said something like "a man and woman sexually together is the custom all over the earth".) Adam was the first human created and was given the power to set up such an earthly custom. After reading over the scriptures again, it seems that Adam had some different needs like not being alone that God wanted to take care of so creating all the beasts and fowl was awesome but there was still no "help meet" for him. All the different species are mating, homosexual to heterosexual, etc.. except Adam. God's solution was to make him a "help meet". And Adam declared heterosexual mankind. Since such a command was spoken while Adam held the scepter of such earthly matters perhaps the will of God adopted a heterosexual "help meet" walk of life that is official.

Pah

Uber all member
true blood said:
"And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept; and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh. And the rib, the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, "This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh'. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

The words of Adam are interesting mainly because they are his own, not God's. And this was pre-downfall era. A time in which Adam held the scepter of power of the world (given to him by God, of course). It was Adam who first declared heterosexualness as an eartly law. (Lot's daughters said something like "a man and woman sexually together is the custom all over the earth".) Adam was the first human created and was given the power to set up such an earthly custom. After reading over the scriptures again, it seems that Adam had some different needs like not being alone that God wanted to take care of so creating all the beasts and fowl was awesome but there was still no "help meet" for him. All the different species are mating, homosexual to heterosexual, etc.. except Adam. God's solution was to make him a "help meet". And Adam declared heterosexual mankind. Since such a command was spoken while Adam held the scepter of such earthly matters perhaps the will of God adopted a heterosexual "help meet" walk of life that is official.
Sorry, you are not relating to reality. History of a people perhaps but not the whole of nature.

Bass04life

Thanks for clearing things up Pah but I still hold my stance. Jesus' command was for us to love everyone that I would agree with, but I'll jump back again to a previous analogy. A murderer, or a child molester comes to church, should I love and accept his ways? Love him, yes, accept his ways, no. Instead you should try to show him the error of his lifestyle in a loving manner, right?

Also, you assume God, "Ok'd homosexuality in his other creations." Where is your foundation for that assumption? Should I emulate the serpent who was also God's creation simply because since God created it, I believe he "ok" his actions of betraying his creator and lying to Eve? If I took your standpoint, then it seems the serpent did nothing wrong, simply because God created him. Take another look through creation and you see that not only Adam and Eve have sinned, All Creation disobeys God. Where did I find that? Look at the commands he gives while creating the earth. He seperated light and darkness making them day and night, but there are now exceptions to the rule. In certain areas of the world it is dark save for one short period of time a year. Their "day" and their "night" is governed by a clock, not the light that God created to govern day and night. His second command is a creation of sky where he separates the water from water or water from clouds, the in-between he called sky. But doesn't fog defy God's command then? There is no sky if there is no in-between. He calls for vegatation, but in our time we see places where not even a single blade of grass can grow. He then creates the sun and the moon, declaring that the moon, or "lesser light" will govern the night. But the moon has phases, and sometimes there is no moon at all. God then creates the birds of the air and the fish of the water, but does a suprising thing with these creations, he blesses them. Certain fish don't swim and certain birds don't fly, but this marks the first blessing of time, which makes me wonder what exactly a blessing is. (Just a sidenote, you seem to enjoy studying the word so maybe you can give me some insight, thanks in advance). Next he makes the creatures of the land, he does not bless them, unsuprisingly enough it is then a creature of the ground that defys God and tempts man to sin. So why in the world should I look to anything in nature for justification of my actions? Animals kill each other, they betray one another, certain animals hate each other. God also made us unique by giving us a
conscious, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I have yet to see an animal pray for forgiveness or feel sorry for any of his actions. So please explain how you came to the understanding that God does not frown on the behavior of a wild animal and that he gave the "ok" for them to be their own God. I'd also like to thank True Blood for his insight, I had totally missed that point up until now. It makes you wonder if God ever intended for a man or a society or a culture to add to his original law in the first place?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I can see no mention of I.P.C.E in this thread; it is well worth a read (although it is hard going)

"I.p.c.eis a forum for people who are engaged in scholarly discussion about the understanding and emancipation of mutual relationships between children or adolescents and adults."
"In this context, these relationships are intended to be viewed from an unbiased, non-judgmental perspective and in relation to the human rights of both the young and adult partners."
http://www.ipce.info/ipceweb/
:)

SoliDeoGloria

It is unfortunately true that many translations write "men". Exceptions are at least Russian zjiteli "inhabitants" and Hindi logõ "the people". I interpret the Hebrew 'anšê as "inhabitants".

That word has several meanings, including "humanity, mankind", and is used to indicate belong to a person or a people. One example is Gn 39:14 anšê `ibrî "a Hebrew person". Regarding the age of the spectators, The Revised English Bible has "both young and old, everyone without exception", and, to drive home the point in v. 11 "both young and old". Other languages have the same repetition.
The problem with that logic is that there are two different words here. The Hebrew word for men in this verse is:
[font=BSTHebrew, SLHebrew]Xwna[/font] 'enowsh, en-oshe'; from 0605; properly, a mortal (and thus differing from the more dignified 0120); hence, a man in general (singly or collectively):--another, × (blood-)thirsty, certain, chap(-man); divers, fellow, × in the flower of their age, husband, (certain, mortal) man, people, person, servant, some ( × of them), + stranger, those, + their trade. It is often unexpressed in the English versions, especially when used in apposition with another word . Compare 0376

The Hebrew word for people in this verse is:
[font=BSTHebrew, SLHebrew]~[[/font] `am, am; from 06004; a people (as a congregated unit); specifically, a tribe (as those of Israel); hence (collectively) troops or attendants; figuratively, a flock:--folk, men, nation, people.

There are obvious reasons for the use of two different words in this verse, but what is most noteworthy is how it is well known how women of that time were considered almost nonexistent and more like property than actual persons. Another thing to take note of is that both hebrew words used in this case strongly emphasize men in their definitions, not females or children but men. It is nice to know that you
interpret the Hebrew 'anšê as "inhabitants".
Although I am curious as to what makes you an authority on such matters.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

Melody

pah said:
.and unconditional love means an acceptance of that total persona.
Unconditional love means you love that person "in spite" of everything. Your love is not limited by their actions. You can love them unconditionally without accepting everything they do.

For example, even if my child goes out and murders someone, I will still love them. It doesn't mean I approve of what they did...just that it has no bearing on my love for them.

Reactions: Pah

wiskeychris

Wow, I really cant believe this is being debated. Biblically, Homosexuality is as wrong as adultry and fornication.

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">1Timothy 1:10

greatcalgarian

wiskeychris said:
Wow, I really cant believe this is being debated. Biblically, Homosexuality is as wrong as adultry and fornication.

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">1Timothy 1:10
What about this:
Exodus 6:20 And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses: and the years of the life of Amram were an hundred and thirty and seven years.

Sin or no sin? As in Leviticus?
18:12 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman. 18:13 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister: for she is thy mother's near kinswoman. 18:14 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's brother, thou shalt not approach to his wife: she is thine aunt. 18:15 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy daughter in law: she is thy son's wife; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness. 18:16 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy brother's wife: it is thy brother's nakedness. 18:17 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter, neither shalt thou take her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness; for they are her near kinswomen: it is wickedness. 18:18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time.