• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality is not a mental illness.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Lost Soul said:
And I truly believe it is a mental disorder. I'm not gay, but I don't believe that being gay is.
None of this explains the tenor of your threads. Displaced self-loathing?

I don't believe you have a mental disorder. I'm sorry that you do.

Flappycat

Jensa said:
The APA has thankfully removed it from their list of mental illnessses, but has unfortunately added transsexuality. That is a whole 'nother can of worms, though.
Well, I think that the transexual might view it as an illness of a kind, but they're more likely to consider the problem one of having the wrong set of bits.

Fluffy

A fool
Im a bit late here but I've been thinking about this one for some time so Ill try and explain this one as best I can Lost Soul.

I am a major proponent of free speech and, like you, I do not like censorship. However, there are a number of reasons why censorship is actually fairly productive and necessary on RF.

Firstly, it is important to remember that RF is a privately owned site. Without Rex and Todd, we wouldn't even have this site available to us. Now firstly this obviously means anybody who uses this site is immediately indebted to their goodwill (or that is the way I feel about it at any rate) and so paying the small compromise of sacrificing one's own personal beliefs about censorship for the smooth running of this site does not seem like a lot. Secondly, it does mean that they are responsible for this site. If we allowed discussion of illegal activity for example, then RF might be closed down and Todd would have a legal responsibility to report the action to the authorities which is not exactly a pleasant position to be put in.

Additionally, this isn't just a free for all discussion site. This is a religious forum and with that comes a certain amount of structure that needs to be maintained in order for productive debate to be achieved. If flame wars or trolls were allowed to continue all the time then this would be near impossible.

Therefore, if a person has beliefs that are not congruent with homosexuality then that is fine. The expression of such beliefs is also fine as is debate of them if posted in the correct forum. However, at the same time, hateful and derrogatory language is not allowed and so any expression must avoid these pitfalls. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who hate homosexuals also believe homosexuality to be wrong. However, this statistical likelihood should not be used as evidence that RF discriminates against anti-homosexual views. It just seems intuitive that you will get more hateful language in anti-homosexual views than pro-homosexual views and therefore a gap in censorship will occur accordingly.