• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homophobia causes the problems, not homosexuality

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How would you fit bi-phobia into this equation?
I'm not really sure how to answer this. Bi people are queers. That usually means a ton of stress, especially when young, vulnerable, not fully formed. Exactly how that would affect any given person I just don't know.
Knowing that it comes predominantly from LG people and is framed as a 'confused' position that hasn't made the courageous affirmation that the LG community has so boldly made?
Well, I would take a bit of issue with that. "Predominantly from LG"? That doesn't seem right to me. Religionists and busy bodies seem to be the bigger problem.
However, I do know that being queer doesn't necessarily mean that one is understanding and supportive, even of other queers. It seems more to bring out the extremes. There are plenty of shallow, vicious and self absorbed queers. Assuming that any random gay guy will be sympathetic to your problems is risky. Queers are perfectly capable of "us v them" thinking and seeing you as a "them". Especially if they see bisexuals as "gay lite" or trendy or posers. Or worst of all, dishonest closet cases. I kinda see it that way myself.
I never did it with a guy until way into my 20s. I kept my secret buried under denial. I was a serious closet case. But I never was really bi.
I guess I also don't see what real problems bi people have. You can pretty much do anything you want, including marry. You just keep your private life private, which I do anyway. If it weren't for wanting a partner I wouldn't have bothered coming out at all.

I'll think about the rest of your post and try to come up with some coherent thoughts. What do you think about this much?
Tom

Acim

Revelation all the time
I'm not really sure how to answer this. Bi people are queers. That usually means a ton of stress, especially when young, vulnerable, not fully formed. Exactly how that would affect any given person I just don't know.

Everything from young person perspective and mixing sexuality in it, along with adults who think of you as a little idiot that can't possibly consent, makes for stress and challenging times.

Well, I would take a bit of issue with that. "Predominantly from LG"? That doesn't seem right to me. Religionists and busy bodies seem to be the bigger problem.

It is right. If I have a homophobic-type ask me questions, such as do you like girls, my answer is yes. I've had this happen. More times than I care to count. I've also had same type of people as me "are you gay?" To which I say no. Thus, from their perspective and with me being just slightly (truly slightly) on guard with own truth, they think - I'm just like them. Yet, with gay person, it is routinely a claim of "you wanna be like me, but you haven't figured that out yet, maybe one day you will." I don't think its as zealous as what a religious zealot might express about bisexuality when it comes to same-sex relations, but it is more bias, and a bit of phobia (not a lot) when compared to heterosexual counterparts. I think the phobia in LG community is acting as if all same-sex concerns impact B in the same way, and that's why B better be on board with the cause. Whatever B wants exactly, can be put aside as trivial concern to that LG is fighting for.

However, I do know that being queer doesn't necessarily mean that one is understanding and supportive, even of other queers. It seems more to bring out the extremes. There are plenty of shallow, vicious and self absorbed queers. Assuming that any random gay guy will be sympathetic to your problems is risky. Queers are perfectly capable of "us v them" thinking and seeing you as a "them". Especially if they see bisexuals as "gay lite" or trendy or posers. Or worst of all, dishonest closet cases. I kinda see it that way myself.

First part of the paragraph relates to me. Last sentence, draws the line. I appreciate you being honest. Me, I don't find in RL 100% homosexuals, thus to me, they're all bi, but self reference otherwise. This would be my prejudice. You have yours, I have mine.

I never did it with a guy until way into my 20s. I kept my secret buried under denial. I was a serious closet case. But I never was really bi.
I guess I also don't see what real problems bi people have. You can pretty much do anything you want, including marry. You just keep your private life private, which I do anyway. If it weren't for wanting a partner I wouldn't have bothered coming out at all.

What if a bi person was not in the closet, and was wanting to marry a person of each gender they are, by definition, attracted to. That equals polyamory / polygamy. Suddenly the bias meter goes way up. Not only is it the anti-SS people, but all the people that are pro-monogamy as the only righteous form of marriage that the bi person has to do intellectual battle with. I think in a most liberated society where however adults wish to marry is seen as 'perfectly okay' that bi types would marry more than one, as would non-bi types. But still makes sense to me, given inherent definition of bi, that bi people have (solid) reason to marry more than one. So, if marriage equality were truly a concern, this would be fought for now. Instead, because some bi types are monogamous and seemingly okay with having flings on the side to satisfy that part of themselves (or no flings and no satisfying that part of themselves), the whole marriage equality thing is seen as let's only tackle SSM now, and consider the other item down the road. IMO, the principle is marriage equality, not only SS equality through marriage. Such that if someone brings up the case for polygamy, the homosexual better have more than puritan/phobic rhetoric to bring to the table of principles. Not to mention that it is assumed 10 times out of 9, that those people who really want to right now have SSM (as in be involved in such) are gay. Can't possibly be bi, and is very rarely presented as such. And yet, from my prejudicial view, they are all bi (without exception).

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Due to some other threads lately, I felt inclined to bump this thread.

It's old, and some of the posters don't participate on RF any more. But there are new folks who might care to chime in.
Tom

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
But who will I blame all the natural disasters on?
Kittens

upload_2018-8-17_10-28-27.jpeg