• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holidays; Are There Going To Be Anymore?

Anonymouse

It still surprises me how much people cherish their holidays. For many who work hard this is a welcome reprieve from the daily grind of work and family life.

What constitutes a day becoming a holiday? If a holiday is centered around the celebration of a famous historical individual, why aren’t there more? Why don’t we celebrate John F. Kennedy’s birth date but still acknowledge Martin Luther King’s? For holidays that are centered around historical events, why is there no holiday for September 11th? Would a day set aside for 9/11 be a holiday just for New Yorker’s or could be it be a holiday shared by the whole world? Why can’t we acknowledge and benefit from Canadian and Jewish holidays? Why isn’t Super Bowl Sunday a holiday yet? Is there a chance that a holiday could be cancelled only to be replaced by a more important remembrance? What is the criteria for starting a holiday and how many holidays during a year could be considered too much?

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
If there were to be an exchange of holidays in order to maintain a certain number of federally recognized holidays then I'd suggest swapping Christmas for a 9/11 Remembrance Day. Christmas is a religious holiday anyway and shouldn't be recognized by the government in the first place. This way everyone still gets the same number of holidays and everyone is treated equally to boot.

lunamoth

Will to love
... I'd suggest swapping Christmas for a 9/11 Remembrance Day. Christmas is a religious holiday anyway and shouldn't be recognized by the government in the first place.
I understand the reasoning, but it will never happen. Christmas is a huge shopping holiday and no one wants to mess with that.

Rakhel

It still surprises me how much people cherish their holidays. For many who work hard this is a welcome reprieve from the daily grind of work and family life.

What constitutes a day becoming a holiday? If a holiday is centered around the celebration of a famous historical individual, why aren’t there more? Why don’t we celebrate John F. Kennedy’s birth date but still acknowledge Martin Luther King’s? For holidays that are centered around historical events, why is there no holiday for September 11th? Would a day set aside for 9/11 be a holiday just for New Yorker’s or could be it be a holiday shared by the whole world? Why can’t we acknowledge and benefit from Canadian and Jewish holidays? Why isn’t Super Bowl Sunday a holiday yet? Is there a chance that a holiday could be cancelled only to be replaced by a more important remembrance? What is the criteria for starting a holiday and how many holidays during a year could be considered too much?
Well, in New York, all public schools honor the Jewish holidays. Probably because of the large number of Jewish students. They also get 9/11 off. Some, but not all, federal offices are closed on those days, as well.