• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism and Marriage

Bishka

Veteran Member
Questions for y'all

Does either family or the woman or man pay a dowry?

Is intermarriage between faiths allowed?

Age allowed to marry?

Engagements?

Is Pre-Martial Sex Allowed?

How is Marriage defined (man and man, woman and woman, man and woman)?

Is marriage required?

Is divorce okay?

:eek:m: So were are my fellow devotees........i come to this site quite often but there are no new posts, in order for krsna to be represented in the right way more of his followers need to make there presense known here at this site....OR shall i be krsna's only voice here.:tsk:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm sorry you feel that way, Archetype*. :flower:

Reading your perspective on this issue wouldn't be something I'd dismiss. I'd personally like to see what you think. :)

Peace,
Mystic

thirlstane

My wife, who follows Hinduism, disobeyed her Guru and had an affair. This did me very serious harm. Since I do not follow Hinduism, does she have to do anything as part of her atonement to help heal the injury she did to me? What does she have to do in a situation like this, where she not only disobeyed her guru but did great harm to another person by disobeying her guru?

:flower2: Oh mystic my beloved it is good to talk to you as well....if you do have any questions feel free to ask, but i must say sorry now for sometimes my responses my be alittle late:eek: ........and as for you thirlstane your wife or ex-wife is in a great deal of woe....one of the first laws of the bhagavad-gita that krsna set in motion is that you must allways obey your guru no matter what because sri-guru is krsna's represenitive on earth, what she must do now is repent for her actions and let the bad karma that she created play it self out and approach krsna with a humble heart so that he may possibly lighting the load, outside of that there is nothin more she can do......also she must tend to the people or person she hurt with loving-kindness, that may also lighting the load.......oh thirlstane do not lament, if she is truely sorry for her actions in the end krsna will forgive her in time, but she has a long road to travel to get to that point....beloved i hope i anwsered your questions somewhat, many blessings to you:eek:m:

patelvipulk

This e-book can be downloaded from the literature englsih section of the website for All World Gayatri Pariwar www-dot-awgp-dot-org.

Arkangel

I am Darth Vader
Moses the God Archetype* said:
:eek:m: So were are my fellow devotees........i come to this site quite often but there are no new posts, in order for krsna to be represented in the right way more of his followers need to make there presense known here at this site....OR shall i be krsna's only voice here.:tsk:
I am back my friend, but i think you would be as good or even better than anybody being krsna's voice.:)

paying a dowry is a offensible act in India among hindus.

intermarriage faiths are on the raise, many Hindu scholars and leaders now promote and even organise interfaith marriages for poor people who cant afford marriages.

18 years for both genders is the age allowed accoring to Hindu Law book

Engaments, yes

pre-marital sex is a big no

marriage is man and women

is marriage required as much as it is required by any religion

is divorce okay, as long as it ends well. Divorce is not widespread but nobody force anyone to live together if they do not wish too.

Jyothi

dowry depends from region to region, in the south and east of india matrilineal (i hope i spelt it right) is practised and all wealth passes from mother to daughter. in north and west patrilineal system is practised and wealth passes from father to son. in the south, men use dto pay women with clothes and gifts, in the north women were paid a sum by their parents as inheritance. all these practices are disallowed now.

other points i agree with arkangel