• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu origin of Sikhism's 5Ks

ronki23

On Quora:

Sikhism is certainly a different religion but it started out as a reform movement. For example, I am sure (but not certain) Sikhism wanted to equalise the castes of Hinduism:

"The Word is the Yoga, the Word is the spiritual wisdom; the Word is the Vedas for the Brahmin.

The Word is the heroic bravery for the Kshatriya; the Word is the service to others for the Shudra.
The Word of all the Words is but One Word for one who knows this secret.
Nanak is the slave of the Immaculate Divine." ||3||

"Everyone says that there are four castes, four social classes. They all emanate from the drop of God's Seed. (2)
The entire universe is made of the same clay. The Potter has shaped it into all sorts of vessels. (3)"

"The four castes - the Kh'shaatriyas, Brahmins, Soodras and Vaishyas - are equal in respect to the teachings.
One who, as Gurmukh, chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is saved.
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, O Nanak, God is permeating the hearts of each and every being. (4)(3)(50)"

Sikhism sees no need for rituals. Sewa is more important

"I observe neither Hindu fasting nor the ritual of the Muslim Ramadan month; I serve the One, who at the last shall save. The Lord of the Universe of the Hindus, Gosain and Allah to me are One… I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines. I serve the One Lord, and not any other. I perform neither the Hindu worship nor the Muslim prayer. I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; and I humbly worship my Lord there. We neither are Hindus nor Muslims; our body and life belong to the One Supreme Being who alone is both Ram and Allah for us."

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, Sikhism has its origin in Hinduism. Sri Guru Nanak Sahib ji was a Punjabi exponent of Upanishads.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sikhism in its essence is monist (Advaita) and so are most Upanishads. IMHO, Sikhism being monotheist is an incorrect reading of Sri Guru Nanak.

"ikk(u) ōaṅkār(u) sat(i)-nām(u) karatā purakh(u) nirapà'u niravair(u) akāl(a) mūrat(i) ajūnī saipàṅ gur(a)-prasād(i)॥"
"Ekameva Adviteeyam"

"Those who recognize the One renounce the love of duality."

Last edited:

ronki23

Sikhism in its essence is monist (Advaita) and so are most Upanishads. IMHO, Sikhism being monotheist is an incorrect reading of Sri Guru Nanak.

"ikk(u) ōaṅkār(u) sat(i)-nām(u) karatā purakh(u) nirapà'u niravair(u) akāl(a) mūrat(i) ajūnī saipàṅ gur(a)-prasād(i)॥"
"Ekameva Adviteeyam"

"Those who recognize the One renounce the love of duality."

The reason I like Sikhism is that it renounces the rituals of Hinduism and Islam and instead is big on sewa.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The reason I like Sikhism is that it renounces the rituals of Hinduism and Islam and instead is big on sewa.
No problem with that. I appreciate it. But many readings from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji make it monist and not monotheist.

Karma77

On Quora:

Sikhism is certainly a different religion but it started out as a reform movement. For example, I am sure (but not certain) Sikhism wanted to equalise the castes of Hinduism:

"The Word is the Yoga, the Word is the spiritual wisdom; the Word is the Vedas for the Brahmin.

The Word is the heroic bravery for the Kshatriya; the Word is the service to others for the Shudra.
The Word of all the Words is but One Word for one who knows this secret.
Nanak is the slave of the Immaculate Divine." ||3||

"Everyone says that there are four castes, four social classes. They all emanate from the drop of God's Seed. (2)
The entire universe is made of the same clay. The Potter has shaped it into all sorts of vessels. (3)"

"The four castes - the Kh'shaatriyas, Brahmins, Soodras and Vaishyas - are equal in respect to the teachings.
One who, as Gurmukh, chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is saved.
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, O Nanak, God is permeating the hearts of each and every being. (4)(3)(50)"

Sikhism sees no need for rituals. Sewa is more important

"I observe neither Hindu fasting nor the ritual of the Muslim Ramadan month; I serve the One, who at the last shall save. The Lord of the Universe of the Hindus, Gosain and Allah to me are One… I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines. I serve the One Lord, and not any other. I perform neither the Hindu worship nor the Muslim prayer. I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; and I humbly worship my Lord there. We neither are Hindus nor Muslims; our body and life belong to the One Supreme Being who alone is both Ram and Allah for us."
Sikhism doesn't have its origin in Hinduism.
I would say that Guru Nanak Ji took the teachings from Hinduism and many other religions and showed us how everything is interconnected and how we are all One.

The 'Word' being talked about here is also called a 'Tao' in Chinese', It's also called 'Ram Dhun' in Hinduism or 'Holy Ghost' in Christianity.
This 'Word' is referred to in the Bible also, where it states-

"In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God."

Guru Nanak Ji taught us that we are the SOULS (atma) that are beyond religion, color, caste & gender.
He taught that the SOUL must be connected to the WORD for self-realization & God-realization.
In fact, Sikh Scriptures are all about the mahima (praises) of Word.

My friend had actually sent me this article on 'Word' just yesterday on Guru Purnima, you should check this out -

ronki23

Sikhism doesn't have its origin in Hinduism.
I would say that Guru Nanak Ji took the teachings from Hinduism and many other religions and showed us how everything is interconnected and how we are all One.

The 'Word' being talked about here is also called a 'Tao' in Chinese', It's also called 'Ram Dhun' in Hinduism or 'Holy Ghost' in Christianity.
This 'Word' is referred to in the Bible also, where it states-

"In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God."

Guru Nanak Ji taught us that we are the SOULS (atma) that are beyond religion, color, caste & gender.
He taught that the SOUL must be connected to the WORD for self-realization & God-realization.
In fact, Sikh Scriptures are all about the mahima (praises) of Word.

My friend had actually sent me this article on 'Word' just yesterday on Guru Purnima, you should check this out -

The founders of Sikhism (the Gurus) were born into Hindu Kshatriya families. The only reason that it's 'important' to know this is because they have a common lineage. The Gurus rejected the caste system and that in itself is one of the reasons Sikhism came into existence:

"Meaningless is caste and meaningless (caste) names,
The same shadow protects all beings"

"Discern the light; do not enquire (one’s) caste;
There is no caste in the hereafter"

"Do not enquire about (one’s) caste and birth
Preach the True Sastra
Caste and honour are determined by deeds"

"Dharma was now established on its four feet and all the four castes (through fraternal feeling) were converted into one caste (of humanity). Equating the poor with the prince, he spread the etiquette of humbly touching the feet."

The Sikhs saw no need for rituals; they found meditation and sewa to be more important and fulfilling

"The Sky is Your platter, The sun and moon are the 'Deepaks' the lamps (lights), The Stars in the sky are the pearls,The 'Dhoop' (Incense) is the fragrance, That the wind propels, The whole forest is Your flowers."

"O Lord, Your name is the Aarti, Your name is the Flower, the saffron, and the sandalwood That is offered to You. Your Name is the (Deeya) The Lamp, the oil and the cotton That is lighted in it. With the Light that Your Name gives out, The whole world is brightened. Your Name is the Thread and Your Name is also The Flowers that are strung into that thread. All that I offer to You is Yours. Your Name is the flywhisk, that you use, The (Chant of Your) True Name, We offer to You, All is false except Your Name!"

"The Aarti is adorned by the lighted lamp And the fragrance of the incense. All is Auspicious. Thou art the Supreme and Pure Light. Thou art the Lord of the Goddess of Wealth. My obeisance to Thee. And to the Lord Rama, Beautiful Govinda, Who is described as Replete Pure Bliss! Sain prays to Thee, Who obliterates all Fear."

"Dear Lord! The Greatest of Yogis have not been able to comprehend You, Those who worship the Unmanifest, Fail to realize You. Even though they have persevered in their quest. Your Name resounds unheard (By the worldly) And only He can hear (On who Your Grace descends) Pray to Your satguru! Almighty Lord! Accept the Aarti, with the oil, Lit with the Chant of Your Name, By You, the Lord of the Universe! Kabirdas performs the Aarti of the 'Beyond Description' and the 'Without Form'"

"O Gopaala, (Accept) your Aarti! You grant the wishes of those who worship You! I ask for my basic sustenance (food, oil, lentils, good quality grains) Which makes me feel fulfilled. I also pray for a good wife, good clothes, good grain, a horse, a cow…"

"The Lord is pleased by the penance, prayers, rituals recitation of the Scriptures, Meditation, music, dance of the Celestial Beings, adorned with vermilion, various musical instruments, Ringing of bells and the showering of flowers, and the tune of the Aarti . The cosmic worlds rejoice and chant the Divine Name."

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"Lakum deenukum wa liya deen."

For you is your view, and for me is my view.
Al-Quran, Surah Al-Kafirun (109.6)

idea

Question Everything
Caste and honour are determined by deeds.

I like it, although deeds are often determined by education, environment, circumstance - a hero's deeds attributed to strong DNA, happenstance of birth, of education - cannot condemn one and praise another over their chance environment.

we're all connected, we create one another's environments, we help one another perform deeds.

is there any system which does away with caste and deeds?