• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hierarchy of Need

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
In my opinion, the goal of any religions / philosophy is self-actualization, at least at the core. This is gone about in different ways, yet it's similar to the minor and major differences between culture. While Christians wanting to be Christ like and Setians wanting to come into being seen different to the average person, at the core they are both self-actualization. What makes a "good" religion then is one that helps followers reach this goal. I've known "true" Christians, I've known seemingly enlightened atheists, and I've known Satanists happy as can be. It's not the symbolism or belief, but the act of walking the path. So, a religion that stifles base needs like sexuality, food, etc would be "bad", or one that preaches a hostile environment of spiritual or physical warfare, etc.

Thoughts?

From Wikipedia on "self-actualization".

"What a man can be, he must be."[10] This quotation forms the basis of the perceived need for self-actualization. This level of need refers to what a person's full potential is and the realization of that potential. Maslow describes this level as the desire to accomplish everything that one can, to become the most that one can be.

Last edited:

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
So basically, "a religion or ideology that is there to progress who you are is good. A religion to stunt that progression is bad".
That's what I got out of it, please correct me if I'm wrong.

But that raises a question I have for you.
How many religions are honestly like that?
I can understand rules, those are fine.
But having idiotic things such as "don't eat pork or you'll go to hell" is nonsense.
Why would an omnipotent omniscient and possibly omnipresent being give a single crap about whether or not you eat pork.
Actually why would it even care if you worshiped it? What does it get out of praise from things that are basically ants in comparison.

Questions, questions, questions.

This is supposed to be about the focus of the religion on the people.
So, to me, this is what would make it perfect:
Follows set rules of morals that treat everyone equally.
Systematically creates societies where everyone feels obliged to help out one another.

That's about it.
No special God worshiping day.
No strict or pointless requirements.
No effing favoritism.

But that simply does not fit reality.
#pipedream

sule007

g.png
good answer, Thanks