• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi Wiccans!~~

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*nods happily* For example, I call myself 'me'!

(Oooo, I've got a PM from over yonder that I've still got to send ya, Kreeden. I'll try to be sure I don't forget it!)

turk179

I smell something....
michel said:
I thought a warlock was a male witch ? - or is that something different?:confused:
In Wicca, a warlock is someone who has broken an oath and has been ostracized and ignored from a community. Or at least that is one of the definitions. I am and do call myself a witch:D

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Wow thanks turk, I was thinking alongside the same lines as michel, and thankyou all those who've helped with my question. Now when I visit my g/f's coven I won't sound like a completely newbwitch.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
My ex calls me a witch, but I am not a practicing wiccan. I am too afraid that I will do something wrong, and that can be bad.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
EnhancedSpirit said:
My ex calls me a witch, but I am not a practicing wiccan. I am too afraid that I will do something wrong, and that can be bad.
I'm guessing that's why he's your ex? :p

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
If they don't treat you nicely just because you happen to use the 'wrong' term for something... Well, let's just say that they've got issues! :) I hope that they're just happy to have someone willing to learn about them.

(But, yeah, 'warlock' is something that some people get really upset about being called.)

Fluffy

A fool
The term "warlock" as defined by www.dictionary.com means "A male witch, sorcerer, wizard, or demon.". Mostly when it is used, such as in role playing games, it has negative or evil connotations and so I would assume that most Wiccans would attempt to avoid it.

Most Wiccan writers have come up with their own definitions of the word warlock, the most common one being that it originally meant "poisoner" or "betrayer" in Scottish but I do not know the validity of such a claim. However, the general trend amongst leaders in the Wiccan community is to discourage its use, for various reasons, with regard to male witches and Wiccans.

Unedited

Luke Wolf said:
Followers of Wicca, whether they be male or female, a called witches.
Because I'm picky about this: Followers of Wicca are called Wiccans. Practicers of witchcraft are called witches. Not all Wiccans practice witchcraft. :)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Unedited said:
Because I'm picky about this: Followers of Wicca are called Wiccans. Practicers of witchcraft are called witches. Not all Wiccans practice witchcraft. :)
Not all Wiccans practice withcraft? Wow. So is the Wiccan religion more druidic with witchcraft being a sect or....???

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think she was simply stating the more proper terminology for things. "Wiccans are called Wiccans" and witches might be Wiccans, but then again, might be from another form of paganism instead. (For example, I consider myself a witch, but I'm not a Wiccan.)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
This is turning into a riddle :help: .

So a Wiccan is not necessarily a Witch and a Witch not necessarily a Wiccan.

No wonder you ride brooms :p

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
FeathersinHair said:
I think she was simply stating the more proper terminology for things. "Wiccans are called Wiccans" and witches might be Wiccans, but then again, might be from another form of paganism instead. (For example, I consider myself a witch, but I'm not a Wiccan.)
Many religions employ witchcraft. Even some Asatruar employ magic (mostly restricted to women). Wicca, like Asatru, is a religion and witchcraft is a practice/skill/art of some of its' members.