• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi everybody

jewscout

Religious Zionist
New to the forum and looking to have some good intellectual conversations. Just a little bit about me i'm a college grad with a degree in History and have recently begun a process of converting to Judaism.

robtex

Veteran Member
what is your first name? What religion did you depart and what type of Judism (orthodox, othodox reform or messianic Jew)? Did your accrued knowledge in history affect your decision to convert and if so how?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Hey thanks to everyone for the welcome! robtex i'm converting in to the Conservative movement of Judaism and i wasn't a part of any religious group before that. I had always felt like history lended some level of credibility to the stories in the Torah, much of the biblical archeology done in the past few decades have shown that these things may have happened (though i believe in a more mundane way than the actual stories themselves say). But ultimately, like all things in this world, it was a girl that brought me to Judaism.:D
She helped me to find a home in this faith.

robtex

Veteran Member
jewscout said:
But ultimately, like all things in this world, it was a girl that brought me to Judaism.:D
She helped me to find a home in this faith.
i had a sneaking suspicsion you were gonna say that. I am dating a reform Jew and her parents ask me to convert which is funny cause the religion does not ask so much but I declined..i am happy with UU.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Well i had been on a spiritual journey since my freshman year of college (1999) and hadn't come across one that particularly felt connected to. Honestly i hadn't even looked into judaism at the time. I had dated girls who were religious christians and it never worked out cause i never bought into the whole death on the cross, resurrection, salvation thing. When i started going out with my present gf i had the same apprehension about Judaism as i did with others. But after a few months of dating and my experiences with her and her family i couldn't deny the overwhelming spiritual sensation i was experiencing.
and so here i am.