• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heroic Indonesian Air Traffic Controller dies guiding a passenger jet off the runway safely...

ajay0

A heroic young Indonesian Air Traffic Controller died in the recent Indonesian earthquake while guiding a passenger jet off the runway safely....

Indonesian air traffic controller killed in earthquake hailed as a hero

21 year old Anthonius Gunawan Agung stayed at his post in the four storey air traffic control tower until he had safely guided a passenger jet while his colleagues had left the tower earlier following the earthquake.

Agung jumped from the four-story tower as it began to collapse. He suffered broken bones and internal injuries on landing. He was given basic treatment but died while being taken to a better-equipped hospital.

Icoze Ezoci, the pilot of the rescued plane, posted tributes to Agung on Instagram.

"Thank you for keeping me and guarding me till I'm safely airborne," he wrote. "Rest peacefully my wing man. God be with you."

Ezoci posted footage from the cockpit, which he said showed the tsunami waves that followed the earthquake.He said that if he had tried to take off 30 seconds later, he and his passengers would not have been able to get airborne.

Agung was eulogized by Indonesian socety for his heroic conduct.

Spokesman for Air Navigation Indonesia, Yohannes Sirait, said the decision may have saved hundreds of lives. Sirait added that Agung’s rank has been posthumously promoted by two levels, as a way of honoring him and his commitment to his duty in the midst of adversity and danger.