• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herman Hesse: The Glass Bead Game

What a wonderful book! I'm curious to see how many have read this and feel compelled to ask, has anyone attempted to create such an amalgamation? I can only think to train the mind on such a device would be heavenly, if not a bit painful to start!
:angel2:

4consideration

Premium Member
What a wonderful book! I'm curious to see how many have read this and feel compelled to ask, has anyone attempted to create such an amalgamation? I can only think to train the mind on such a device would be heavenly, if not a bit painful to start!
I've read it. It was a long time ago, 1987.

I was a great fan of Hermann Hesse's back then and I think I read all (or nearly all) of his novels. By the time I got to the last book, Magister Ludi -- The Glass Bead Game I was expecting it to be a sort of culmination of understanding for me.

When I completed the book, I think I actually ended with the response "Huh?" :) I think I missed his point completely. I think I didn't see what the whole point of it was. Maybe it's time for a re-read. It's bothered me over the years that I didn't quite get it back then.

I first attempted to read it about three years ago, and having picked it up again have been delighted, without question Hesse has inspired in me a greater devotion to both God, and man.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
-another fan of Hesse here, I read it a long time ago ... 1971 or so, can't remember a thing.

4consideration

Premium Member
Mostly what I recall from that book was the various stories at work. As a literary device, I understood the use of it and I understood the stories themselves. What I remember was really not liking the whole math component. I just couldn't seem to relate at the time. Also, I remember that I kept thinking "why?" (I don't remember what the question of why was referring to.)

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
It was easier for me to understand The Glass Bead Game after reading both Siddhartha and Steppenwolf first.

Herman Hesse also started me on my spiritual quest when I was in my late teens, along with a few other books I was reading at the time, mostly popular stuff by Shirley Maclaine and Tuesday Lobsang Rampa (remember him?) with offerings from the Theosophical Society and classics like The Prophet by Khalil Gibran.

Herman Hesse continues to be my favorite author and I have all his books in my library. Amazing man...amazing.

apophenia

An all-time favorite.

I played with algorithmic music composition for some years, and of course used a computer to do that. Silicon chips = glass beads ? It is possible to use any kind of data to generate music this way. For example, MusicWonk or ArtWonk by John Dunn of Algorithmic Arts can use DNA sequences, or even digital images, to generate musical output.
Algorithmic Arts Home

Castalia was re-presented in Asimov's Foundation trilogy IMO.

P.S. is that Morning Glory Heavenly Blue (ipomea tricolor) in your avatar ?

4consideration

Premium Member
Great book. Many levels.

I hope you do mind, but I'd like to ask your opinion on something about the book. It might seem a little strange.

It has been so long since I read it and I would have had no concept in the '80's when I read it of anything like spambots. Do you think there is a connection with the kind of activity of the kinds of game played in the book and the current "games" played by programs like spambots?

An all-time favorite.

I played with algorithmic music composition for some years, and of course used a computer to do that. Silicon chips = glass beads ? It is possible to use any kind of data to generate music this way. For example, MusicWonk or ArtWonk by John Dunn of Algorithmic Arts can use DNA sequences, or even digital images, to generate musical output.
Algorithmic Arts Home

Castalia was re-presented in Asimov's Foundation trilogy IMO.

P.S. is that Morning Glory Heavenly Blue (ipomea tricolor) in your avatar ?

The site is very much appreciated! It may be now that I'll be inspired to be more studious with my piano. Also, I thank you for the book reference. Finally, yes - how were you able to notice that?

I notice a lot. (Sshhh ! ;) )

So, you know about the Heavenly Blues, even subtly embed them in your avatar ... you are a definite candidate for Castalia. :yoda:

It's been some time since I last logged but was delighted by your comment - if only Castilia didn't look so much like a Russian Charm School...