• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Me Decide!

HopefulNikki

I'm sure that this type of thread has been circulated plenty of time before, but...Why should I become a member of your religion? Are there any religions should I definitely not become a meber of? Please, don't tell me, "do what feels right to you" or anything like that, nor tell me to fill out a Belief-O-Matic style quiz. Tell me what you personally think and what evidence leads you to that conclusion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You should become a member of Girls On Trampolines because it's fun to bounce!

kadzbiz

I'm sure that this type of thread has been circulated plenty of time before, but...Why should I become a member of your religion? Are there any religions should I definitely not become a meber of? Please, don't tell me, "do what feels right to you" or anything like that, nor tell me to fill out a Belief-O-Matic style quiz. Tell me what you personally think and what evidence leads you to that conclusion.

Where does one find one of those Belief-O-Matic style quizzes?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Do you find inspiration in Nature?

Zeno

I don't think you should believe in any religion. Especially if it concerns Andy Roddick. :p

But in all honesty, there is no need to self identify with any religion. If you are still interested in developing close friendships and being involved in a community type of thing, you can try out some of the more open-minded ones like Unitarian Universalism.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do you mean by inspiration? I enjoy watching sunsets and playing in warm waves at the beach, but is that something to formulate an entire religion around?

No. But some religions are nature oriented, so I was wondering if you have a strong affinity for nature. It doesn't sound like you do.

HopefulNikki

No. But some religions are nature oriented, so I was wondering if you have a strong affinity for nature. It doesn't sound like you do.
I like nature a lot; I love the ocean, swimming, SCUBA, snorkeling, hiking, etc etc, but I don't worship the water or the mountains that I enjoy, or believethat they are the summation of all life or meaning.

HopefulNikki

Ok, I got it this time. How bout Pantheism?
I think I would agree more at first glance with Panentheism, but Wiki also says this under that section:
Many of the major faiths described as pantheistic could also be described as panentheistic, whereas naturalistic pantheism cannot (not seeing God as more than nature alone). For example, elements of both panentheism and pantheism are found in Hinduism. Certain interpretations of the Bhagavad Gita and Shri Rudram support this view.
The view doesn't reduce down to a single religion! It doesn't help me much, although it is an interesting concept to ponder. But, I was hoping this thread would be more about others trying to convince me rather than me just defining what I already think.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I like nature a lot; I love the ocean, swimming, SCUBA, snorkeling, hiking, etc etc, but I don't worship the water or the mountains that I enjoy, or believethat they are the summation of all life or meaning.

Fair enough. Then I don't suppose a nature religion would resonate with you. But might I ask where you find the source of your values?

Dream Angel

Hey nikki!
I never asked, did you take that quiz? what did it come out for you? You need to ask yourself some questions based on what you know are the focus points of religion -

Do you believe in God? I think you said you did! and you dont believe in multiple Gods?
Do you believe in Jesus Christ? If so as the Son of God (Christianity) or just a messenger
Do you believe in the Trinity? (as I said with me, thats quite a big one if you dont, as it wipes out most of the christian religions)

I think they are the three biggest ones. The look for a religion which believes the same and research it - if you find something you dont like and dont believe in - move onto the next! (That sounds awful doesnt it - its like shopping for religion! :) )

For example, I have always questioned the trinity, believe in Jesus as Son of God, so when I met a JW to start with and found out they didnt celebrate Christmas and some other ideas and beliefs they have that I didnt agree with, I knew it wasnt for me. I dont think its possible to find a religion you 100% absoutely agree with and everything they practise you will find easy to do - but there is no point being in a religion where you dont agree with the main points.
Hope this helps!
:)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think we would all suggest the faith we follow our selves.

For me That is the Anglican Faith.
It Has a common route with the Catholics... services and beliefs are very similar indeed... but it is nevertheless protestant in that it dos not recognise the pope as it's head.
It allows Women to be Priests. The head of the Episcopal church in the USA is a woman. ( they are part of the Anglican Communion)

It is a very broad church and allows views from the extremely conservative evangelical to the extreme Liberal; all with in the same framework of belief and canon.