• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell or Nonexistence?

Which would you prefer after death?

• Hell

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Nonexistence

Votes: 28 80.0%

• Total voters

TyMac

If you believe in Hell you know that you don't get to choose. It's either Heaven or Hell... which makes this kind of silly. But if God somehow gave me the choice it would be non-existence. You guys are rather... no really brave to say Hell. IMHO.

lasthope

You go to church on Sunday mornings to go to hell?

The option wasn't for heaven or hell. It was for hell or non-existance. If I went *poof*, then I was obviously following the wrong faith.

Smoke

Done here.
TyMac said:
You guys are rather... no really brave to say Hell. IMHO.
If you don't believe in hell, it doesn't take much bravery. (However, even when I did believe in hell, long ago, I reached the point where I told God, "Look, I'm going to do what I have to do, and you do what you have to do.")

TyMac

MidnightBlue said:
If you don't believe in hell, it doesn't take much bravery. (However, even when I did believe in hell, long ago, I reached the point where I told God, "Look, I'm going to do what I have to do, and you do what you have to do.")

Well the real point I was trying to drive home is the definition of Hell. Which means more pain than anybody can toloerate... forever. Obviously if you do not believe in Hell you might not really understand the definition. That's why i think the question is silly. It's like me saying "Hey I can come by tomorrow and light your dog on fire in front of your kids if you want... or I'll just hang out at home and not come over... what do you want?"

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
lasthope said:
The option wasn't for heaven or hell. It was for hell or non-existance. If I went *poof*, then I was obviously following the wrong faith.

And what I'm saying is, unless you're following a left-handed path faith, obviously you would be following the wrong faith if you wound up in hell too.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I don't see what's so terrible about non-existance. I would really prefer not to live forever. It would get boring after a few hundred years.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I don't believe in hell, and, as I believe that we will ultimately all return to God, I guess that is what you might call heaven. Therefore I didn't vote.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I believe in Hell for the truly evil among us, but since I believe most of us going to 'return to God' in Heaven as Michel nicely stated it, I was not able to vote in the poll either.:162:

Melody

If I can't have heaven, then I chose non-existence. I mean what would be the point of eternal damnation?

sparc872

Definitely non-existence for all the reasons stated above and more. The thought of existing for much longer than this term on earth and being conscious of it seems to me like it would get pretty boring.

Not believing in Heaven and Hell allows me to see life for what it is; our one shot at existing. So revel in it and soak it up as much as you possibly can, this is it, the only life you will ever have. Ever.

The thing is...even if you don't believe in heaven or hell now (I believe in them both), if you were to go to hell, then you would KNOW that someone is having it much better in heaven. If you just didn't exist anymore, then there wouldn't be the knowledge that someone is having it better than you. Not to mention the fact that hell would be a lot more painful then non existing or existing forever in heaven. I also don't think that heaven will be more boring in hell, and I can't imagine having fun in hell anyway. I would choose non-existence over hell.

Ðanisty

Well the real point I was trying to drive home is the definition of Hell. Which means more pain than anybody can toloerate... forever.
Well, that's your definition of hell. Not everyone is going to define things the same way you do.

sparc872

I welcome nonexistance. To me it's no different than eternal peace.
Definitely. It would be similar to an eternal sleep. What is so wrong with that? Who doesn't enjoy a good nap or a great night sleep anyways?

I see nonexistence simply as returning back to nature, being reincorporated into the earth. Death is irrelevent, it is my contributions during my lifetime will ultimately effect the future, so I focus all of my energy in life on making sure that impact will be a positive one; I see no point of worrying about an afterlife or death. Death is just ultimate peace anyways. The way I see it, if there is an all-knowing God, he won't condemn me for trying to live a good life and using the reasoning ability to doubt his very existence. I have made a more earnest attempt at understanding than most people do who blindly accept what it is they believe, and any God would see the merit in that.

Sorry...got a little sidetracked :)

lasthope

You go to church on Sunday mornings to go to hell?

It is so nice to know that I can post my opinion here and have it be picked on by someone who obviously didn't understand what I meant or just wanted the quick rush of self gratification that comes from making a sarcastic remark and knowing that other people will laugh about it. So here is your gratification :
Oh yes, ha ha ha, you got me. By misconstruing what I said, you turned it into a funny. I sure do go to church to get to hell. Thats my plan. Isn't it everyones? Hahahahaha.
Ok. Now that that is over, please allow me to explain to those reading this the point I was trying to make and obviously didn't get across to many. I don't believe in non-existance after death. So for the poll at hand, I have to choose hell because the other choice does not exist to me.

M

Majikthise

Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
Non-existence. Without question. Even though the mere thought of non-existence is nearly enough to make my head explode....

Thats funny, the thought actually gives me peace.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Majikthise said:
Thats funny, the thought actually gives me peace.

Same here. I was thinking that the mere thought of a constant fire under your arse would make you want to explode.

mr.guy

crapsack
Buttercup said:
I was thinking that the mere thought of a constant fire under your arse would make you want to explode.
That's constipation, buttercup. A hell in it's own right, i suppose.