• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heiarchy of humans and animals

sparc872

While reading through the Humanure Handbook, I came to a page where the author addresses religious history and our relationship to the environment.

He brings up the issue of man as the central focus of creation (Judeo-Christian) or an integral part of nature (most Eastern religions like Buddhism, Hinduism). He calls the debate The ego vs The eco.

Do you think this is a valid theory as to the differing approaches towards the environment between the West and the East? Eastern cultures have a tradition of recycling their byproducts back into the fields whereas in the West, that sort of behavior is oftentimes shunned.

Do you think the connectedness and focus on nature in Eastern religions came first, followed by the religions or was it the other way around? Likewise, was the image of the 'steward over the land' first or religion first in Western religions?

Super Universe

Defender of God
I think revelation has been the same to all people but they pick and choose the parts they feel are important and those that are not important at all to them.

If I could expand your question slightly to include all life, the heirarchy would be:
Plants
Animals and insects
Humans

All have life giving spirit but is there a genetic cause that gives an animal instincts and a human sentience or is there a difference in the spirit?