• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you come out?

Araceli Cianna

So I'm 23, and live with my mum. She is a Christian. After a confusing time after I reconverted to Christianity a couple of years ago (due to psychotic delusions that I was possessed by demons) but have not really come out since. I mean I have told her that I am 'doubting' and my faith isn't that 'strong', but not really told her I'm an atheist now.

Today we were walking out the supermarket, my mum was pushing me in a wheelchair (I have non-epileptic attack disorder so on my bad days struggle to walk), and this street preacher came to us and started praying for me. He asked if I knew about Jesus. I feel totally stupid now but at the time I looked up at my mum and back at this man and said "yes we're Christians"... then he said "so are you born again?" again I said yes. He was a really nice man and know his motives were probably kind. But I couldn't help feeling a bit irritated at the situation, pretending to go along with it as if I was okay with it. In reality I didn't care one way or another about his prayer, but more at the idea of feeling trapped in this lie I don't know how to burst.

I want people to know the truth but don't want to break my family's hearts (for the second time lol, since I already denied Christianity once years ago). The faith sort of brings the family together. Without that I fear what is there holding us together?

Advice? Stories of your own to share?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My mom is nonreligious agnostic theist and my dad is nonreligious theist with a strong Christian upbringing. Most of my mom's side of the family fondly refer to themselves as 'recovering Catholic.' Coming out to my family was pretty easy.

Yours I think will be more tricky, especially if you have feelings of vulnerability and fear about assistance with your health. A couple things might make it easier:
Are you agnostic? Agnostic atheism is a thing and if you fit you might find that's an easier sell.
Have interests in learning about non-theistic faiths like Buddhism? Telling her you're looking into that might also be an easy stepping stone.
Just work within your comfort level.

Above all, if you're already receiving counseling, that's a good question to ask your counselor. They will have more insight than we will for sure.

Araceli Cianna

I was having cognitive behavioural therapy but it ended, unfortunately. It's good you didn't have a hard time with it. After the first time I denied Christianity it caused a rift between me and my mum, but that was before my health problems. Now she is my carer and there is that sense of vulnerability with it now. I very much doubt she would neglect me as a result, but I don't want there to be bad feelings between us.