• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have people become too self-centered?

finalfrogo

I was talking with...an associate :sarcastic... recently. He claimed that modern people, specifically the new generation, have become excessively individualist. He said that people care too much about themselves and about what they personally want. "I don't know how they [people of the new generation] are going to protect our country in Iraq," he said.

I simply could not agree with him. (Probably because he was basically calling me egotistical through his brief, ignorant speech.) :mad:

What do you think?

evearael

He claimed that modern people, specifically the new generation, have become excessively individualist. He said that people care too much about themselves and about what they personally want.
I don't know your age but it sounds like he is bitter not to be young anymore, and taking it out on you. It sounds as if he is projecting his insecurities and regrets about his younger days onto you. Our culture is a bit self-centered, but guess which generations are selling it to the new generation... The CEOs grow wealthy on young people proving their individuality and worth through conspicuous consumption.

"I don't know how they [people of the new generation] are going to protect our country in Iraq," he said.

As a military wife, I find this insulting. So, was he career military, or does he just feel military duty only falls on other people?

finalfrogo

evearael said:

"I don't know how they [people of the new generation] are going to protect our country in Iraq," he said.

As a military wife, I find this insulting. So, was he career military, or does he just feel military duty only falls on other people?

I'm not sure if he had a military career.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sounds like an inane variation on the theme, "Things were better in the Good Old Days", and delivered by an especially borish person. I think he was abusing your time and patience, finalfrogo.

I pity his spouse, children and relatives: He's probably got a ton of opinions like that on every subject. Have you asked him why he's not a talk show host yet?

finalfrogo

Sunstone said:
Sounds like an inane variation on the theme, "Things were better in the Good Old Days", and delivered by an especially borish person. I think he was abusing your time and patience, finalfrogo.

Interesting that you said that. I tried everything to get out of the discussion, but he just went on and on and what should have been a 5 minute conversation became a 30 minute lecture.
:computer:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
finalfrogo said:
Interesting that you said that. I tried everything to get out of the discussion, but he just went on and on and what should have been a 5 minute conversation became a 30 minute lecture.

Sounds like he himself was too self centered to notice or care whether you were interested.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I can tell by the way people drive. Things have changed over the last 20 years. People cut you off, trying to be 1st to an exit. It's all about them, not caring about anything else. The coasts are the worst. The mid-west isn't as bad, except in the big cities. Even fellow truckers cut you off, don't signal. Never used to be that way.

Booko

Deviled Hen
finalfrogo said:

After 5 minutes, that's when you get a confused look on your face, answer your cell phone (that you pretend was on vibrate), answer it, and quickly excuse yourself on the grounds that your wife is (supposedly) calling and is having some emergency at home. :D

finalfrogo

Booko said:
After 5 minutes, that's when you get a confused look on your face, answer your cell phone (that you pretend was on vibrate), answer it, and quickly excuse yourself on the grounds that your wife is (supposedly) calling and is having some emergency at home. :D

:biglaugh: I have to do that someday.

Booko

Deviled Hen
jeffrey said:
I can tell by the way people drive. Things have changed over the last 20 years. People cut you off, trying to be 1st to an exit. It's all about them, not caring about anything else. The coasts are the worst. The mid-west isn't as bad, except in the big cities. Even fellow truckers cut you off, don't signal. Never used to be that way.
I agree completely about the driving, though I'd add there are more cars on the road than there used to be, too, and the roads haven't gotten that much more spacious.

That aside, yes, I think things have gone downhill in some ways in the past few decades. What used to be called "manners" especially.

However, considering I'm from the generation that tossed that baby out with the bathwater, I figure I'm not in much of a position to complain. :eek:

People do seem to be generally more rushed and stressed out, though. That doesn't make for much civility either.

Booko

Deviled Hen
finalfrogo said:
:biglaugh: I have to do that someday.
I've found it useful a couple of times when dealing with a couple of particularly flighty moms at the local school. They always understand that if your kid is sick or something, you gotta RUN. ;)

My husband and I use our cellphones to get us out of all manner of difficult situations without offending anyone.

For example, on Tuesday evenings he's usually at a meeting that is supposed to end at 9:30 pm and rarely does.

We have what we call "Plan B" -- that means if he hasn't called me by some appointed time to say the meeting has ended, I should call him. That's his excuse to say, "well, friends, gotta get home to the wife and kids now..." Works like a charm.

If we don't have any prearranged plans, he can discreetly put his hand in his pocket, speed dial me, wait for it to ring once or twice, then hang up. That's my signal to call back right away, because things have gotten very silly and he'd like to leave.

Sometimes cellphones can be an interruption in life and create an atmosphere of rudeness, and sometimes they can be a Godsend and help you do what you need to without hurting someone's feelings.

It's all in how you use them.

Ain't technology grand? :kat:

(I just had to use that kitty kat!)