• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have monotheists ever considered the possibility that Satan could be the good guy?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Yes I was aware about the Jewish view. That answers my question from the Jewish perspective. Christians and Muslims seem to disagree.

I don't think Christians realize how much their views about Satan might make him sound good to non-Christians. As for Muslims well- the Quran doesn't allow for the conclusion of a good Satan. However, that same Quran makes Allah seem infinitely worse in relation to Satan.

I could never see it that way. Based on the Bible, we would have been free from labor, pain, death, grief, and all these other things that came along with sin. Including spiritual death. The Bible refers to Adam and Eve's eyes being open. This put shame into the world. It also put knowledge of the future. Since we are aware of the future, we are forever in slave to it. We work today, so we can sustain the future. Satan is the tempter who causes the occurrence of evil in the world.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Bible refers to Adam and Eve's eyes being open.
I'd rather have my eyes open that be a mindless drone.
Since we are aware of the future, we are forever in slave to it.
How are you defining this? As in a determinist sense that we know what is going to happen? An abstract notion that we know the future will happen? Or something else?
We work today, so we can sustain the future.
That's basically the set up of any social being, both for society and the individual.
Satan is the tempter who causes the occurrence of evil in the world.
Yet, who created him? Who, according to the Bible, gives him permission to do so and even says "go ahead and do it?"

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Kind of like saying to a Buddhist have you ever considered that Mara is the good guy, and the Buddha is the bad guy

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Your question assumes "satan" is both real and in a sense an individual. Since I believe that the Divine is One, from my perspective that is not the case. "Satan" is a symbolic representation of the forces of darkness, evil, but not in any sense a separate identity. Therefore I don't accept the belief of those who believe in manichaeism, that there is a struggle between good and evil as separate beings.

Liu

When I was a monotheist (if I every actually was), I didn't believe in Satan. That wasn't part of the very liberal and almost non-theistic kind of protestant Christianity around here, treating the whole bible as a neat collection of parables.
I think we did read Job in sunday school, but the interpretation was rather close to the Jewish view, if I recall that correctly.

Kind of like saying to a Buddhist have you ever considered that Mara is the good guy, and the Buddha is the bad guy
Dunno about Buddhism and Mara, but in some forms of Hinduism, Maya/illusion, which I would consider related to Mara, is equated with the Shakti-aspect of the divine, so...

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
When I was a monotheist (if I every actually was), I didn't believe in Satan. That wasn't part of the very liberal and almost non-theistic kind of protestant Christianity around here, treating the whole bible as a neat collection of parables.
I think we did read Job in sunday school, but the interpretation was rather close to the Jewish view, if I recall that correctly.

Dunno about Buddhism and Mara, but in some forms of Hinduism, Maya/illusion, which I would consider related to Mara, is equated with the Shakti-aspect of the divine, so...

Mara and Maya are two very different things, Mara seems to represent evil, Maya represents illusion or delusion??

Liu

Mara and Maya are two very different things, Mara seems to represent evil, Maya represents illusion or delusion??
But isn't Buddhism about overcoming the illusion of reality and the delusion of desire? Thereby, those things are "evil" in Buddhism and what Mara tried to tempt the Buddha with.
Or that's how I understand it with not that much knowledge of Buddhism, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner

I believe Nagarjuna identified the source of Mara's evil when he talked about the ancient war between the Devas and the Asuras. He was almost certainly drawing on the same tradition as the Mahabharata.

Mara is presented as the chief Asura. Because of his grudge with Indra and the Devas for losing, it is inferred Mara tries to entrap people in Samsara out of pure spite. He knows the gods following Indra care about humans, so he knows of no better way to hurt them, than through keeping humans bound and suffering.

Mara appears to be a being of pure hatred and spite, who will never forgive the gods.

In some alleged dialogues between Shakyamuni and Mara- the Buddha pities Mara most of all. Because Mara has been a spiteful devil for so long, he won't let it go. He tells the Buddha that he knows how redundant and ultimately pointless keeping things trapped is, but that he won't give it up because it's who he is.

Mara seems to refuse to change from what he told the Buddha. He's made the devil inseparable from himself, and played that part long enough, so that he cannot cast it aside.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you know how many different sects of Judaism there are?
Lots. I'm aware there are exceptions and I should have said so, but it seems to be the dominating view. Kind of like most but not all Christians are Trinitarian.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Those who do are called Satanists.

For Christians, it is an impossibility to take that position.
Yeah, I've had a couple of Satanist friends. Most moral people I've ever had the pleasure of conversing with. I still mourn the loss of one of them.

I can't play for Satan's team because I think he's a jerk. However, the bible provides Satanists with tons of ammo for their position, so I don't fault them for it at all.

In some alleged dialogues between Shakyamuni and Mara- the Buddha pities Mara most of all. Because Mara has been a spiteful devil for so long, he won't let it go. He tells the Buddha that he knows how redundant and ultimately pointless keeping things trapped is, but that he won't give it up because it's who he is.
So, Mara is essentially the poster child for the negative consequences of attachment?