• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Atheism The Mission To Convert Others Over To It?

Wannabe Yogi

There seem to be a lot of misunderstandings here.

There are no groups of organised atheists at all. Every single atheist is different - they accept different ideas and concepts, they express themselves in different ways, and their opinions on various topics and subjects are always different. Occasionally, I might agree with someone else, but that is really a coincidence - I like to form my own opinions, and so do other atheists.

As a generalisation, most atheists I know don't seek to convert anyone to anything, because there is nothing to convert you to. Atheists don't seek to dissuade you of your beliefs either - most are perfectly happy with you doing your own thing.

The only time I will disagree with religion or religious ideas is if practicing religion causes harm to yourself or others, or you attempt to impose it upon me. Otherwise, I have few problems with religion at all.

In my real life (not the internet) I know many atheists. Most of them have have no problems with my faith. None of them have tried to convert me to there way of thinking. It's the people who are a members of other religions that are always out to win over my soul to there one true God. Now online Atheists are a different story, some of them seem more upset. I think that is only natural many people seem very mad online.

Bware

I'm the Jugganaut!!
Thank you for the reply. I ask because I often wonder why atheist seem (to me) to be anti-religious rather than just saying religion is not for them, but to each his or her own. Maybe most/many atheist feel that way but we don't often here from them. I do agree with you that religon can lead to violence and intolerance but aren't at least some atheist violent and intolerant at times too?
I think part of the reason that it seems that way is probably because most athiests hear earfulls of how they are going to go to hell and need to change from everone, friends, family. Gets old real quick, my family will jump me all the time because I'm agnostic, not even athiest and I get an earfull just about every day with input by me, I NEVER start it. So I can see why it may seem many athiests have a chip on thier shoulders.

I don't believe that athiests are out to convert others, Christians on the other hand...

Bware

I'm the Jugganaut!!
I still say it is a belief or you and those like you wouldn't be here at a religious forum trying to convert others over to it.
?Some peoples hobbies include knitting or woodworking. Mine happens to be religion. I find it fascinating to learn about new religions and see new viewpoints on how people view the universe. I browse alot of different religious sites, and it seems to me that's it generally the Christians 90% of the time that start things with the athiests, not the other way around. After getting poked with a stick for a long time, some people tend to react rather harshly. Can't blame them. What is that old saying? "Hate the sinner, not the sin?" :sarcastic