• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Radhastami

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Happy Radhastami, everyone.

This is definitely more the festival for me; I do not enjoy the crowds of Janmashtami but Radhastami tends to be a bit more laid back,

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Happy Rādhāshtami!

I should have fasted but I didn't. I don't do well with fasts. :( There was nothing special at the temple for Rādhāshtami, afaik. Nothing on the schedule of events.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Happy Rādhāshtami!

I should have fasted but I didn't. I don't do well with fasts. :( There was nothing special at the temple for Rādhāshtami, afaik. Nothing on the schedule of events.

It's interesting; the only place I know that really celebrates Radhashtami is the Hare Krishna temple. It doesn't seem to be celebrated at more... er... wider temples? It's certainly not celebrated at my temple.

I'm going to the Hare Krishna mandir today for the celebration.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh jaya Radhe! The personification of Krsna bhakti, she is as dear to Krsna as Hanuman is as dear to Lord Ram!

radha-love-krishna-photos1.jpg

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Sharing my favourite Radhashtakam, glorifying Her:

kunkumakta-kancanabja-garva-hari-gaurabha
pitanancitabja-gandha-kirti-nindi-saurabha
ballavesha-sunu-sarva-vanchitartha-sadhika
mahyam atma-pada-padma-dasya-dastu radhika

Her splendrous golden complexion steals the pride of a golden lotus flower anointed with a tinge of red kunkum powder. Her sweet fragrance mocks the fame of the aroma of a lotus flower sprinkled with saffron powder. She is fully qualified to fulfill all the desires of the son of the king of cowherd men. May Sri Radhika always bestow upon me the service of Her own lotus feet.

kauravinda-kanti-nindi-citra-patta-shatika
krishna-matta-bhringa-keli-phulla-pushpa-vatika
krishna-nitya-sangamartha-padma-bandhu-radhika

Her amazing and colorful silken garments make the splendour of coral feel ashamed. She is a garden of blossoming flowers where the maddened bumblebee named Krishna performs amorous pastimes. She worships the Sun-god daily in order to attain the continual association of Her beloved Krishna. May Sri Radhika always bestow upon me the service of Her own lotus feet.

saukumarya-shrishta-pallavali-kirti-nigraha
candra-candanotpalendu-sevya-sita-vigraha
svabhimarsha-ballavisha-kama-tapa-badhika

Her charming youthful delicacy negates the fame of freshly-sprouted leaves. Her refreshing form is worthy of being served by the cooling moon, sandalwood paste, lotus flowers, and camphor. When She touches the master of the gopis, She dispels the burning heat of His desires. May Sri Radhika always bestow upon me the service of Her own lotus feet.

vishva-vandya-yauvatabhivanditapi ya rama
rupa-navya-yauvanadi-sapada na yat-sama
shila-harda-lilaya ca sa yato 'sti nadhika

Although the goddess of fortune Lakshmi Devi is adored by other youthful goddesses, who are themselves glorified throughout all the universe, still Sri Radhika is unique in the matter of beauty, praiseworthy youthfulness, or other divine feminine opulences. There is no one in the material or spiritual worlds superior to Radhika in the expression of naturally loving pastimes. May Sri Radhika always bestow upon me the service of Her own lotus feet.

rasa-lasya-gita-narma-sat-kalali-pandita
prema-ramya-rupa-vesha-sad-gunali-mandita
visva-navya-gopa-yoshid-alito 'pi yadhika

She is very learned in many transcendental arts, such as performing in the rasa dance, singing, and joking. She is decorated with many divine qualities, such as loving nature, exquisite beauty, and wonderful garments and ornaments. Even among the cowherd damsels of Vraja, who are praised by the entire universe, She is the best in every way. May Sri Radhika always bestow upon me the service of Her own lotus feet. (5)

nitya-navya-rupa-keli-krishna-bhava-sampada
krishna-raga-bandha-gopa-yauvateshu kampada
krishna-rupa-vesha-keli-lagna-sat-samadhika

She possesses the opulence's of eternal youthful beauty, eternal pastimes, and eternal love for Krishna. Her ecstatic feelings of love for Krishna cause the gopis, who are also in love with Krishna, to tremble. She is always attached to meditating on Sri Krishna's beautiful form, ornaments, garments, and pastimes. May Sri Radhika always bestow upon me the service of Her own lotus feet.

sveda kampa-kantakashru-gadgadadi-sancita
marsha-harsha-vamatadi-bhava-bhushanancita
krishna-netra-toshi-ratna-mandanali-dadhika

She is graced with the eight ecstatic symptoms (sattvika-bhava), such as trembling, perspiring, standing up of bodily hairs, tears, faltering of the voice, and so forth. She is adorned with different ecstatic emotional ornaments, such as impatience, joy, contrariness, and so forth. She is decorated with beautiful jewels that give total delight to the eyes of Krishna. May Sri Radhika always bestow upon me the service of Her own lotus fee

ya kshanardha-krishna-viprayoga-santatoditaneka-
dainya-capaladi-bhava-vrinda-modita
yatna-labdha-krishna-sanga-nirgatakhiladhika

If She is apart from Krishna for even half a moment, She becomes stricken with wretched suffering, restlessness, and a multitude of other ecstatic symptoms of separation. When She regains the association of Krishna after some effort, then all Her anguish immediately vanishes. May Sri Radhika always bestow upon me the service of Her own lotus feet.

ashtakena yas tv anena nauti krishna-vallabham
darshane 'pi shailajadi-yoshid-ali-durlabham
krishna-sanga-nanditatma-dasya-sidhu-bhajanam
tam karoti nanditali-sancayashu sa janam

It is very difficult for Parvati and other exalted goddesses to attain even a glimpse of Srimati Radharani, who is dear to Lord Krishna. But if someone glorifies Her by reciting these eight verses, then She who is delighted by Krishna's continuous association will grant the sweet nectar of Her personal service to that person, who thereby enters the assembly of Her similarly delighted girlfriends.

Srimati-RadhaRani.jpg

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Pranam Nitai dasa ji, may you post a lovely story about Radha's sweet love for Krsna? I am ignorant on this matter

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Radhe-Radhe. Not celebrated everywhere but still honored in our hearts. Vraja Bhoomi, the playground of young Krishna.

Vraja Bhoomi1.jpg
Dwarika1.jpg

Prabhasa Kshetra, where Lord Krishna is supposed to have concluded his avatara. Also the location of the first Jyotirlinga of Shiva, Somnath. Mool Dwarika (Original Dwarika) as per peoples' belief.

Last edited:

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Pranam Nitai dasa ji, may you post a lovely story about Radha's sweet love for Krsna? I am ignorant on this matter

He Nitai, how can a glorify Her? Even Sri Krsna can't glorify Her fully. I will speak one of my favourite lectures by Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaj on the glories of Radhika:

"Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami has revealed some of the names of Radhika in his Caitanya-caritamrta Adi-lila chapter four. One of Her names is Govinda-nandini. Govinda is the controller of everything. He is the extreme limit of the conception of the Supreme Lord, Sri Krsna. He is full with unlimited opulence and sweetness. Who can give happiness to Him? Only one personality can do so - Krsna Himself in the form of Srimati Radhika.

She is Govinda-mohini. Krsna attracts all living entities, including animals, trees and creepers. He especially attracts all the Vraja gopis, but Radhika can attract Him. Krsna bewilders everyone in this world by His maya-sakti, and in the spiritual world He bewilders all by His beautiful form, qualities, and pastimes. He can bewilder everyone; yet Srimati Radhika can bewilder Him.

Radhika is Govinda-sarvasya. She is everything to Krsna. She is the be-all-and-end-all of Krsna; for Him, nothing remains.

Sri Radha is Sarva-kanta siramoni, the crown jewel of all Krsna's beloveds. All the gopis were searching for Krsna after His disappearance from the Rasa dance. When Her own svapaksa gopis (the gopis from Her own group) saw Her footprints along with Krsna's, they became very happy – knowing them to be Hers. However, when the other groups of gopis saw them, not knowing to whom they belonged, they could only understand that this particular gopi had served Krsna more than any other – and therefore He left the Rasa dance with Her alone.

Sri Radha Herself has become Candravali and all the other gopis. There is no other beloved of Krsna – only Srimati Radhika. She Herself has become all the Laksmis (Goddesses of Fortune), and all the queens of Dvaraka. If one thinks deeply about this, he will understand Her greatness. Sita-devi and all the Laksmis are manifestations of Radha, and she assumes these forms to fulfill Krsna's desires.

She is Krsna-mayi; She sees Krsna everywhere – inside and outside of Herself. Wherever Her mind or senses go, it is only for and about Krsna. When She sees a tamal tree She thinks, "Oh, there is Krsna." Her name is Radhika because She fulfills all the desires of Krsna and because He Himself worships Her. An example of His worshipping Her is when He took Her to a solitary place after leaving the Rasa dance, at which time even the vipaksa-gopis (rival party) also confirm this. Radhika is Para-devata, just as Krsna is: She is the most worshipable of all. Moreover, She is worshiped by Krsna Himself. Is she not therefore worshipable by everyone?

Once Radhika asked Vrnda-devi, "Where are you coming from?" Vrnda-devi replied, "I'm coming from Radha-kunda. I saw Krsna there." Radharani asked, "What was He doing?" Vrnda-devi replied that He was dancing. Radha then asked, "Oh, who was His dancing teacher?" Vrnda-devi told Her, Your reflection, Radhika, which He sees in every tree.

Whatever prema exists in this world comes from Radhika. She is the mother of everyone because she nourishes everyone by giving them prema. Krsna is the principle Deity of all jivas, and Radhika is also. This is confirmed in the Brahma Samhita:

ananda-cinmaya-rasa-pratibhavitabhis
tabhir ya eva nija-rupataya kalabhih
goloka eva nivasaty akhilatma-bhuto
govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami

["I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, who resides in His own realm, Goloka, with Radha, who resembles His own spiritual figure and who embodies the ecstatic potency (hladini). Their companions are Her confidantes, who embody extensions of Her bodily form and who are imbued and permeated with ever-blissful spiritual rasa."]

Sri Radhika is Sarva-Laksmi-mayi, which means that all the various gopis emanate from Her, and She is therefore the predominating deity of all the sakhis. As many beloveds as there are, She is their controlling deity.

She is Kanti, which means that during Rasa-lila, only She could fulfill all the desires of Sri Krsna. There were hundreds of millions of gopis dancing, but when Radhika left, the Rasa dance stopped. Krsna appears as Mahaprabhu in order to taste all of Radhika's loving moods; He cannot do so in Vraja-lila.

What are Krsna's thoughts when He is in Mathura and Dvaraka and feeling separation from Radhika? He prays to Her, "O most worshipful Radha! My mind always remains with You. I'm always anxious for the dust of Your lotus feet. Somehow, in some form, I stay in Vrndavana. O Srimati Radhika, I am roaming in those forests, playing on My flute, only in search for You. O Radhika, I go to the Yamuna, not to take bath, but only to meet with You. Otherwise there is no need to go there. I sit on the bank of Yamuna only to meet with You and serve You.

"I stopped grazing cows, and I stopped all other activities. Seeing Your beauty I became so eager; My eyes moved here and there and My mind was restless. I used to wait underneath a kadamba tree, thinking, 'When will She come by this way?' I am meditating upon Your qualities, and upon Your beauty which is like the auspicious svati-naksatra (constellation). The skylark (cakora bird) won't drink any other water besides the water coming from the clouds at the time of the svati-constellation. Similarly, I am like a cakora bird, and Your beauty is like rain falling during that constellation. I am eagerly waiting for You, to have Your darsana. Your beauty and qualities steal My heart. I don't want those qualities to steal My heart, but I forget everything else in My separation from You."

Hearing this, Radhika replied, "O Prananatha, lord of My life's breath, I am Your eternal servant and You are My life and soul, the only love in My life. I surrender Myself unto Your lotus feet. You may love Me or neglect Me, in Your life or by Your mind. You can leave Me and thus bring Me suffering. Whatever You desire, Your happiness is My happiness and Your life is My life. I don't want anything other than Your happiness in my life. As You realize My happiness and sorrows, so I can realize Yours. You feel happiness by seeing Me, but by seeing You I become millions of times more happy. There is no comparison to My happiness in these worlds. I am happy only by seeing Your happiness. I am always blissful because I have no concept of the happiness of others; I only desire Your happiness. I want to see Your happiness from morning to night, and night to morning.

"By seeing Me You become happy, and therefore I decorate Myself in many ways with srngara (ornaments) and alankara (decorations). I do this for You only; I do this because by seeing Me with all these ornaments and decorations You feel great happiness. I dedicate Myself unto Your lotus feet only to increase Your satisfaction and fulfill Your desires. I become so happy when You say to Me, 'You are My beloved, My mistress, My life and soul.' No one can understand the happiness I feel; there is no comparison to it in this world.

"When You say to Me, 'O Swaminiji, O Pranesvari Radhike, O My kanta,' My heart becomes overjoyed, because You are happy when You taste the words Radha-Pranesvari, etc. I feel shy to hear this, and yet I am also very happy. Externally I feel shy, but internally I am extremely happy."

Then Krsna said to Radhika, "You are the abode of matchless love. O Vrsabhanu-nandini, (daughter of Vrsabhanu Maharaja), You are the abode of all rasas, and what am I? I am always moving from one forest to another to graze cows. I'm foolish and irreligious. Other than to herd cows, I have no intelligence at all. I don't know the rules and regulations of love, and only You can teach Me these principles. I am always running after cows and playing hide and seek and other games like a village boy, whereas You are the river of prema. I'm just like terribly hot sand in the summer and You, on the other hand, are the river of love. How can there be any comparison between Yourself and Myself? When You give Me the darsana of Your love, I immediately become happy –there is no comparison to my happiness. When You bestow Your mercy and look towards Me, I become indebted to You." Krsna also told the gopis during rasa-lila: "I have no qualification. I am only a beggar of Your love."

na paraye 'ham niravadya-samyujam
sva-sadhu-krtyam vibudhayusapi vah
ya mabhajan durjara-geha-srnkhalah
samvrscya tad vah pratiyatu sadhuna

["I am not able to repay My debt for your spotless service, even within a lifetime of Brahma. Your connection with Me is beyond reproach. You have Me, cutting off all domestic ties, which are difficult to break. Therefore please let your own glorious deeds be your compensation." (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.32.22)]

Now He confirmed this, as He told Sri Radha, "I am so indebted to You. How can I become free from this debt? Please be merciful; You are the abode of mercy. Only You can give Me love and fulfill My desires."

Hearing this, Srimati Radhika became shy and replied, "O Syamasundara, O You whose eyes are like lotus petals, O You who are the son of the king of Vraja. You steal My heart. To meet with You I shall give up all the rules and regulations of society. I will leave My in-laws house, I will give up all consideration of shyness, respect from others, religion, and irreligion. I want to come to You and keep You as My own. I want to keep You, even for a moment, but I am only a village girl. I have no quality at all and I am not beautiful. You, on the other hand, are extremely qualified and beautiful, and You are the ornament of Your dynasty. There is no rasa in me. I have no idea about rasa, whereas You are the abode of rasa. You are the ocean of mercy, so please bestow Your mercy on Me. This is My desire."

Such is the sweet conversations between Radha and Krsna. Jaya Radhe!!

radha-krishna-of-shodash-ge.gif