• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Maha Shivratri 2015

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Maha%2BShivaratri%2Bimage%2B20157.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Here we have abhishekhams at 7, midnight, 3, and 6. There is a homa at 10. I'll probably go until 12:30 or so. Have an austere and meditative night, my fellow Saiva bhaktars.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
My dearest Shaiva comrades:

Har Har Mahadev!

iu

"To Rudra, Lord of sacrifice, of hymns and balmy medicines, we pray for joy and health and strength.
He shines in splendor like the Sun, refulgent as bright gold is he, the good, the best among the Gods." -R.V.1.43.4-5

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Maha Shivratri greetings, friends.

My wife will have a whole day fast and she is not really feeling well, as I mentioned earlier, flu. Her fasts worry me. But she said she can eat cashew nuts, almonds, peanuts (probably). But then, she would take just a wee little bit where I would have consumed in kilograms. Then for some reason (I have not asked her yet why), she has a fast on the next day as well. :bang head:

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
I will be on fruit tomorrow for fast and I will keep the vigil over night. I am looking forward to it!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
[QUOTE="Aupmanyav, post: 4171071, member: 11823"(I have not asked her yet why)[/QUOTE]It is her father's death anniversary, that means one meal.

Last edited:

Stormcry

Hail to mighty Rudra, who's supreme among all gods and who's the Guru & worshipable deity of Shri Hari. Death feels fear from him. Om namah Shivay! :)

Shantanu

Maha Shivaratri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia states:''It is the day Shiva was married to the goddess Parvati.The Maha Shivaratri festival, also popularly known as 'Shivaratri' (spelt as Sivaratri, Shivaratri, Sivarathri, and Shivarathri) or 'Great Night of Shiva', marks the convergence of Shiva and Shakti.''
Whoever thought of it it was certainly a very powerful combination potentially when the Destroyer was combined with Shakti so that they can jointly pursue a mission of destruction.

Stormcry

'Shivashtakam' of Adyashankaracharya. ऋक्सामवेदमुनिभिः स्तुतिसंयुताय गोपाय गोपनमिताय नमः शिवाय ॥८॥ (Salutations to Him) Who is served by the Sun-God (Aditya), Moon-God (Soma), Rain-God (Varuna) and Wind-God (Anila), 8.2: (And) Who resides in the smoke of the best Yagyas and Agnihotras, 8.3: Who is invoked by the hymns of Rig Veda, Sama Veda and the eulogies of the Munis (Sages), 8.4: Who is the Protector of All, and is worshipped by the Protectors (guardian deities); Salutations to that Shiva,

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We had a mixed crowd, as usual. This festival tends to draw out the unusual in a way. I was too busy helping to get much out of it, but once the first main puja was over, a couple of devout Brahmins came in to recite Sri Rudram. It was much quieter by then as people had either gone home, or were downstairs visiting. I love listening to the sacred slokas.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Saw the temples and aradhanas on TV at various Shiva temples around the country, Vishwanath (Varanasi), Baidyanath (Deoghar), Mahakaleshwar (Ujjain), Somnath (Gujarat), Onkareshwar (Madhya Pradesh). Crowds, crowds, crowds of devotees (that only India can generate).

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Several hundred came to my temple to offer respects. There was a line extending from the entrance and out the car park.

I kept the vigil but it was really hard at first. It went much faster when everyone else had left!

Shantanu

:D with all that millions of liters of diluted milk being poured on the Shiva lingas all around the country. Not to worry, India is the largest producer of milk in the world.
Human living has no other meaning than living to the gods who give us our thoughts and our motives for living. We show are respects to these gods. This gives us peace of mind. Story over. No worries about where all the milk is coming from or its negative effects on ethical living.