• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! :-)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
is an annual celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's difficult victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza.[1][2]
Cinco de Mayo - Wikipedia

Anyone else gonna celebrate with me!
180430170804-02-cinco-de-mayo-brooklyn-file-restricted-super-tease.jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Mexican victory at Puebla was against a much better equipped and larger French army, which provided a significant morale boost to the Mexican army and also helped slow the French army's advance towards Mexico City.

I would also like to honor the Mexican soldiers who fought valiantly against American aggression.

And honor the Irish Catholic deserters from the American Army that joined the Mexican Army.

They bravely fought for a just cause.

They are heroes, in my book, and the United States government had no right to take those lands.

RIP!

Phantasman

I celebrate it at my next door neighbors house who is Mexican and like a son to me. He, his wife and three young children are a part of my family. Maria is an excellent cook and we are always given dishes to take home of her Mexican dishes and desserts throughout the year.

I spoke with Jesus today, and he said he was going somewhere else tonight as a wedding was in place for this years event. But my heart is with them, no matter where they are.

When they are happy, I am happy.

So happy Cinco de Mayo.

godnotgod

Thou art That
And honor the Irish Catholic deserters from the American Army that joined the Mexican Army.

Yes! Few know about this story. The Irish soldiers were abused by the Americans and deserted over to the Mexican side. An excellent movie made of the story, here:

... the United States government had no right to take those lands.

Americans are taught that we won the Mexican-American War fair and square, and not just that, but out of the goodness of our hearts, we even PAID the Mexicans for the land that was 'won'. Truth is, we instigated that war KNOWING we would win, in order to secure Texas and the SouthWest to expand slavery. On top of that, we also secured Utah and other states with the Gadsden 'Purchase', which was actually extortion, by which the American generals told Santayana that he had best accept the 'payment' or we would invade Mexico again. He had no choice, but the Mexican people branded him as a traitor. Mexico all told lost over 1/3 of her northern territories, millions of square miles of lands over which the Mexican flag legitimately flew.

Today, America is paying for that bad karma with the infusion of drugs and the immigration 'problem'.

For those interested in the real truth of the matter, see here:

The Hispanic Experience - Stolen Birthright

godnotgod

Thou art That
Legitimately?
You must not be an Aztec or any other indigenous descendant.
Tom

Oh, but I am.

What I meant by 'legitimately', was in the same sense that America flew its flag over its own territories.

The lands to the north of what is now Mexico was always considered to be a 'happy hunting ground', called 'Aztlan', so these lands were nothing new to the children of the Spanish-Aztec conquest. Today, Aztlan is still a vibrant metaphor for the Mexican and the indigenous Indio.

A hundred thousand Mexican nationals lost their land overnight after the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, as the US would not recognize the Mexican title deeds that the government of Mexico had legally granted them. Mexican immigrants, who spoke little if no English, and who mostly were poor, had little chance of defending themselves in court. They were forced to go back to Mexico. In Texas, Mexicans who had title to lands which were now occupied by land and cattle companies, returned to them as employees, land upon which their grandparents were buried.

BTW, it was the Spanish, not the Mexicans, who invaded the Aztec lands. It was not yet Mexico.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
They are heroes, in my book, and the United States government had no right to take those lands

Thank you for bringing this up. Very good for (non)americans to realize what kind of president USA has now

Few weeks back I read Trump said:
"USA needs to confiscate all the oil in Middle East [we will make huge profits that way]. Because we lost so many men fighting there, and they should be compensated, now they live on the street". Then the reporter asked "but is the oil not theirs"."Oh, yes we can give the people of the Middle East also a little of it".
[This is not just Donald Duck funny dumm, this is serious Donald Trump psycho dumm]
[Hitler, Kim... also believed they were doing the right thing; that much dumm IMHO]

I dare americans to say this was a good quote of their president
I dare americans to vote again for a president making this claim

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
Few weeks back I read Trump said "USA needs to confiscate all the oil in Middle East [we will make huge profits that way]"

Trump brazenly trumpets what the US has done clandestinely or hand-in-glove all along anyway.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Footnote: Before the Mexican-American War, the US-Mexico border was not the Rio Grande as it is today; it was the River Nueces, north of the current border. The US moved that border south to its present location, thus securing some 55% (!) of Mexico's land for itself.

"The U.S. War on Mexico was inevitable because Mexican officials absolutely refused to sell their northern territory despite repeated offers by the United States to buy it. Once the leaders of the U.S. finally understood that the Mexican people would never sell their birthright in North America, they were committed to war and sought a pretext to justify their aggression. Although Jackson's "disputed" territory strategy failed in Texas in 1836, President Polk employed it to create a pretext for war in 1846. The "disputed" territory this time was the 145-kilometer (90 mile) wide strip of land between the Nueces River and Rio Grande in south Texas.

Historically, the Nueces, which empties into the Gulf of Mexico at Corpus Christi, was the northern border of the Mexican state of Tamaulipas. President Polk urged the Republic of Texas to claim the Rio Grande, which runs south and roughly parallel to the Nueces and empties into the Gulf at Matamoros, as its southern boundary. Polk knew that Mexico would go to war over the annexation of Texas, and dispatched U.S troops under the command of General Zachary Taylor to Corpus Christi on the edge of the "disputed" territory. In his Personal Memoirs, Grant explained the mission of the U.S. Army in south Texas, "We were sent to provoke a fight, but it was essential that Mexico should commence it." The plan worked. The U.S. annexed Texas in February of 1846, and Polk immediately ordered Taylor to proceed to the Rio Grande. One of Taylor's patrols skirmished with a Mexican detachment and lost over twenty soldiers, including eleven dead, five wounded, and several captured. Polk immediately called for war. In his bellicose message to the U.S. Congress, the President announced that, "American blood had been shed upon American soil." He got his declaration of war."

The Hispanic Experience - Stolen Birthright