• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HAPPY ALL HALLOWS EVE (OR AS THE DEMONS ROAM SO GOES THE WORLD)

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
Halloween is a very old pagan holiday. Some traditional Christians go all fire and brimstone against anything Halloween related. I as a christian think its originally was to ask for demons to assist in this or that. Halloween preceded the Druids who also celebrated the holiday. Demonology is dangerous if only for ones spiritual health. Anyway how do you celebrate Halloween? For Christians; do you feel its wrong to allow your children to participate in trick or treating ? Ah ... the real reason I am posting this thread is because I wanted to hang my Photoshop doodle here.

everyone have a blessed day ....

Last edited:

MrMrdevincamus

I couldn't get this to post on the OT...

upload_2018-10-28_12-25-26.png

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In many -- or perhaps most -- ancient societies, there were festivals marked by their satirizing the existing social order and/or beliefs of the society. Saturnalia, among the Romans, was just the most famous of these. It was a festival in which the social order was upturned and reversed. Masters pretended to become slaves, slaves pretended to be masters. Each satirized the other for five days annually.

Halloween can be seen as such a festival. The social order is not upturned, but rather the order or relationship between nature and supernature. Seems the same purpose is served, however.

It appears to me the purpose of those festivals was to put things in perspective. To remind people of the "proper" order of things by celebrating the opposite of the proper order. And perhaps to encourage people not to take their social order and/or beliefs too grimly.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Halloween is now national dressup day.
The best demon costume I have seen is the High Priest of Mammon costume.
shopping.jpg
Tom

MrMrdevincamus

In many -- or perhaps most -- ancient societies, there were festivals marked by their satirizing the existing social order and/or beliefs of the society. Saturnalia, among the Romans, was just the most famous of these. It was a festival in which the social order was upturned and reversed. Masters pretended to become slaves, slaves pretended to be masters. Each satirized the other for five days annually.

Halloween can be seen as such a festival. The social order is not upturned, but rather the order or relationship between nature and supernature. Seems the same purpose is served, however.

It appears to me the purpose of those festivals was to put things in perspective. To remind people of the "proper" order of things by celebrating the opposite of the proper order. And perhaps to encourage people not to take their social order and/or beliefs too grimly.

Thanks for the extra info Sunstone. Modern people often times ridicule or make fun of the belief systems and ancient ways of worship that includes sacrifice and paying homage to supernatural gods and objects. I was one of those people that thought the ancients were backwards. But even before I began searching for a personal belief system I noticed that our own system of government that's been around for about 300 years has struggled at times. In Europe not many governments have lasted a even a thousand years. Compare that to the ancient civilizations, many who enjoyed a stable* government for thousands of years! Egypt and the Sumerians for example. Even aboriginals of the Americas and Australia manged to create long lived societies that unlike modern man did not pollute their own water or air so much that some areas are uninhabitable !. So I don't call them backwards etc, they were in some ways far advanced than modern man, and they depended on the supernatural to achieve that.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Always liked Halloween but I think the best thing about it is the Mexican grocery and bakery I like to go to always starts making their version of the "bread of the dead" about a week earlier ahead of the day of the dead. While picking up some supplies the other day one of the workers brought out a tray of four large ones still hot from the oven with the gooey cinnamon and nut filling oozing a little. In a few months they will start making their Three Kings rings which are better than any King cake I've ever had.

MrMrdevincamus

Always liked Halloween but I think the best thing about it is the Mexican grocery and bakery I like to go to always starts making their version of the "bread of the dead" about a week earlier ahead of the day of the dead. While picking up some supplies the other day one of the workers brought out a tray of four large ones still hot from the oven with the gooey cinnamon and nut filling oozing a little. In a few months they will start making their Three Kings rings which are better than any King cake I've ever had.

Oh baby you are speaking my language! I am a a baked goods fiend! Most hillbilly's like myself are addicted to soul food and or anything deep fried. Not me, I like variety, give me a market with a good bakery and international foods section, I will be a customer for life. I love Mexican food, it's one of my favorites, they know how to eat well,"¡A huevo!".

MrMrdevincamus

My favorite version of this costume also comes with something like costume hook hands, but instead of hooks it's tiny doll hands.

Jesus didn't despise money. He did not want the love of money to come between man and God. A quote by JC; " No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon". Jesus said we should not use moneys power to gain control over others. (Matthew 18:23-34; Luke 7:40-43; 20:9-16). We live in a capitalist nation which can be and is the most sinful kind of government because it runs on greed, the love of money. I am not saying a capitalist government is worse than most dictatorships only that the goals of a capitalist system are sinful by its nature. Actually on paper a communist government would be the most fair system. Well, as a christian should I vote for Trump or a communist candidate for President? Personally I do not believe 99% of the rabid Trump haters claims. Besides if Trump did commit some of the things he is accused of he still wouldn't be as bad as Clinton or JFK or a bunch more.