• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happiness is the ultimate purpose of everything you do.

Faint

Victor said:
Well, I would gain more pleasure from doing the right thing in this case. Cheating, and hurting the feelings of a girlfriend who trusted me to keep a promise would cause me MORE pain than the momentary physical happiness was worth. Even if the girlfriend didn't find out, I would feel anguish because of the betrayal, and I would feel like less of a man because I would have to lie in order to keep a girlfriend. Of course, considering that I don't commit myself to just one woman anymore, and considering that I am honest about this with any girl I get involved with, I don't have this problem. The girls I sleep with know that I sleep with other girls. Some encourage it, a few have joined in. Not every girl is into this of course, but some people are too possessive for an open relationship. Those people should stick to monogamy, and then try to hide under the bed when desire comes knocking.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Faint said:
Well, I would gain more pleasure from doing the right thing in this case. Cheating, and hurting the feelings of a girlfriend who trusted me to keep a promise would cause me MORE pain than the momentary physical happiness was worth. Even if the girlfriend didn't find out, I would feel anguish because of the betrayal, and I would feel like less of a man because I would have to lie in order to keep a girlfriend. Of course, considering that I don't commit myself to just one woman anymore, and considering that I am honest about this with any girl I get involved with, I don't have this problem. The girls I sleep with know that I sleep with other girls. Some encourage it, a few have joined in. Not every girl is into this of course, but some people are too possessive for an open relationship. Those people should stick to monogamy, and then try to hide under the bed when desire comes knocking.

In this case you would. I wonder if you would in every case? ;)
Either way, your pleasure is a horrible guide for morality.

~Victor

Faint

Victor said:
My pleasure? Or pleasure in general?
I think when you get right down to the root of it, it's the only guide. Otherwise, how do you know what is "good" unless you feel it is good? What else would you suggest to guide moral decision? Thought? Reason? Ultimately you will "think" about and "reason" out what feels right for you (especially those of you who lean so heavily on faith and throw reason aside in favor of belief).

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Faint said:
My pleasure? Or pleasure in general?
I think when you get right down to the root of it, it's the only guide. Otherwise, how do you know what is "good" unless you feel it is good? What else would you suggest to guide moral decision? Thought? Reason? Ultimately you will "think" about and "reason" out what feels right for you (especially those of you who lean so heavily on faith and throw reason aside in favor of belief).
Incorrect. You can reason to something and get absolutely no feelings.

~Victor

sdotbrown

I have mulled over this question many times in my own head. I still don't have a clear answer. Even calling someone else selfish is selfish. It is never ending.

turk179

I smell something....
Victor said:
In this case you would. I wonder if you would in every case? ;)

~Victor
I guess it all depends on your definition of morals is, or maybe what you feel is right or wrong. Faints bedroom lifestyle would not make me happy in the long run. I am more of a one woman guy. But as long as there is nothing going on that could cause anyone harm and everyone is consenting adults then to each his own. I just don't see where morals plays into that.