• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hanuman's Bell

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namaste All,

I have noticed in many depictions of Lord Hanuman that he has a bell tied to his tail. I can't seem to find a clear answer as to what it might signify. Do any of you know?

Thanks in advance =)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Really? Never heard or seen that, though the Lord visit me frequently. Yeah, checked and found it true. He does not show the bell to me because around me the glory of Lord Rama already reigns supreme.

"The bell plays on important role in Hindu culture. It has a special meaning in Madhva tradition. It is used during times of prayer to declare the reign of the Supreme deity in Madhva tradition. The ringing of the bell causes fear in the hearts of the evil powers and the same causes a soothing happiness in the minds of the devotees. The ringing of the bell signifies something special to the devotee. The overall control and presence of the Supreme Lord existing in the sound, in the medium, existing in the person ringing it and in all the people hearing it. Now this wonderful accompaniment to prayer is dedicated to Mukhyaprana Devuru or Hanuman in Madhva tradition as he is the most exemplary devotee as well as the most qualified soul to praise the Lord. The ability of each soul to praise the Lord is different and the highest ability belongs to the jivotyama, Hanuman."
Significance of the bell tied to the tail of Sri Hanuman

"Monkeys love their tails. It’s their pride. However in Hanuman’s case, he tails is shown as destroyer of pride. Two Important Examples:
  1. Hanuman destroys Lanka by setting it on fire through its tail. Thus destroying Ravana’s ego.
  2. When Bhima path is blocked by Hanuman, Hanuman asked him to move his tail and move forward, however Bhima couldn’t even lift it. Thus Hanuman’s tail subdues arrogance and pride that Bhima had in his power.
Thus I think Hanuman’s tail is represented as ego destroyer."
https://www.quora.com/What-does-Hanumans-tail-represent-figuratively

Last edited: