• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

H.R. 347 | Outlawing the Occupy Movement

dust1n

Zindīq
Ok, I only just heard about this and the only media coverage I can find is on the extremist side. For example.

Outlawing the Occupy Movement: H.R. 347 Makes Free Speech A Felony | PRLog
Outlawing the Occupy Movement: H.R. 347 Makes Free Speech A Felony - Salem-News.Com
Congress Passes Bill Severely Curtailing First Amendment Liberties

Is the bill as bad as these pundits say it is? Does it really target the Occupy movement?

Bill Text

Another blow to civil rights, widely ignored by media.

Very dangerous bill that will likely be passed with little resistance.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Ok, I only just heard about this and the only media coverage I can find is on the extremist side. For example.

Outlawing the Occupy Movement: H.R. 347 Makes Free Speech A Felony | PRLog
Outlawing the Occupy Movement: H.R. 347 Makes Free Speech A Felony - Salem-News.Com
Congress Passes Bill Severely Curtailing First Amendment Liberties

Is the bill as bad as these pundits say it is? Does it really target the Occupy movement?

Bill Text
Based upon my reading the actual bill, i have to say that all the nonsense talking about "free speech is a felony" is nothing more than attempted fear mongering.

dust1n

Zindīq
Based upon my reading the actual bill, i have to say that all the nonsense talking about "free speech is a felony" is nothing more than attempted fear mongering.

Oh, definitely crazy exagerrated on the web, it's not the endgame or anything... it's still bad legislation, though IMO, and my main concerns with what events are deemed to be of national security, like G8 summits and RNC/DNC's..., which are classically protested heavily, and my concern is that this legislation might make persecution of activist leaders easier... but these are generally accompanied with arrests, usually with exciting riot charges anyways.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
what did you expect? do you really think the one percent is gonna let a serious political movement by the people, for the people..truly breathe......a movement that is growing into a international wave..and whose intent is to bridge the gap between the greedy rich and the rest of us....lol..you must be kidding.

McBell

what did you expect? do you really think the one percent is gonna let a serious political movement by the people, for the people..truly breathe......a movement that is growing into a international wave..and whose intent is to bridge the gap between the greedy rich and the rest of us....lol..you must be kidding.
I do not know about Trey of Diamonds, but I would have expected, at the very least, for people to actually find out what is being changed BEFORE they make posts about it...

I suspect I expect to much....

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
I would not be surprised at all if they "made it" illegal....so much for free speech, and true political dissension...kiss your civil rights goobye...while the rich facists, laugh at your unemployment, and downward spiral and say things like 'get a job!"...if you tell someone "get a job!"..you really dont' know whats happening in America right now.

Trey of Diamonds

I do not know about Trey of Diamonds, but I would have expected, at the very least, for people to actually find out what is being changed BEFORE they make posts about it...

I suspect I expect to much....

If you are talking about the media I suspect so. I did a search on the Bill name and only the fringe media was even covering it and they all seemed to think it was a conspiracy. Still, the absence of it in the mainstream media is troubling as it does make the nation more restrictive. Not to create more fear mongering but it does make me think of this quote.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

~ Martin Niemöller

McBell

If you are talking about the media I suspect so. I did a search on the Bill name and only the fringe media was even covering it and they all seemed to think it was a conspiracy. Still, the absence of it in the mainstream media is troubling as it does make the nation more restrictive. Not to create more fear mongering but it does make me think of this quote.
That is because certain individuals are trying to get OWS back into the news.
So they have taken to declaring this bill an attack on OWS.
As we can see from this thread alone there are people who take what they are told and run with it without bothering to check and see what the bill actually says.

I actually read the differences.
Well, what there are of them....

And the whole "free speech is illegal" mantra is nothing but fear mongering.
A sad attempt at trying to paint the OWS movement as some kind of weak helpless victim of the big bad oppressive government.

Trey of Diamonds

That is because certain individuals are trying to get OWS back into the news.
So they have taken to declaring this bill an attack on OWS.
As we can see from this thread alone there are people who take what they are told and run with it without bothering to check and see what the bill actually says.

I actually read the differences.
Well, what there are of them....

And the whole "free speech is illegal" mantra is nothing but fear mongering.
A sad attempt at trying to paint the OWS movement as some kind of weak helpless victim of the big bad oppressive government.

Yeah, I got all that too. To be honest, I was more concerned with my tax dollars going toward Secret Service protection for Presidential wannabes.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I have free speech. I can tell you what I think. I cannot start sleeping in your living room on the couch every night to make my point.

I can have a rally or parade and easily get a permit. We can have speeches and carry signs, it could even last all weekend. I cannot decide I am going to live in a park now for God knows how long.

Protests and rallies are fine. It does not take months to get your point across however.

Freedom of speech does not entitle you to occupy a park for months and erect structures to live in.

If this where the case, we all could find some wonderful park with a great view and start living there for the rest of our lives. Thats not freedom of speech, it's vagrancy.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
I have free speech. I can tell you what I think. I cannot start sleeping in your living room on the couch every night to make my point.

I can have a rally or parade and easily get a permit. We can have speeches and carry signs, it could even last all weekend. I cannot decide I am going to live in a park now for God knows how long.

Protests and rallies are fine. It does not take months to get your point across however.

Freedom of speech does not entitle you to occupy a park for months and erect structures to live in.

If this where the case, we all could find some wonderful park with a great view and start living there for the rest of our lives. That not freedom of speech, it's vagrancy.

Is it okay to throw a glitterbomb at Santorum?

McBell

Is it okay to throw a glitterbomb at Santorum?
What is a glitterbomb?

I ask because there are several different things refered to as "glitterbomb".

Your rights end where another's rights begin.
And I fail to see how throwing something at someone is not an assault....

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't like how they defined what is off limits, as this can be used to silence opposition, but it seems to be a gross exaggeration of what the bill does.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
oh, I don' t know occupying a certain space..may be the only way to get anyone attention...cause writing a few letters to the editor or calling on radio show is not gonna do anything. Have you noticed how many homeless people have suddenly appeared, have you found yourself stretched at the end of the month..every month....you think the 1 percent..cares..or feels your pain....lol..loolo....lolololololl