• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guru Ramdass Sabha (Pittsburg Ca)?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
(UPDATE! Title of post should read Guru Ravidass not Ramdass, sorry! Can anyone fix?)

I was searching Bay Area Hindu temples via Google (I check once in a while as there are each year or so yet another opens in the Bay Area and greater area), when I came upon a site listing temples that had a listing for "Guru Ravidass Sabha Temple" in Pittsburg Ca.

I had never heard of it before.

When I went to the link it didn't have a lot of information, but it seemed to be similar to a Sikh Temple, I visit a Sikh Temple on occasion located in Fremont.

But it seems it is not a Sikh Temple, but a temple related to an Indian saint who opposed the caste system of birth based discrimination, and this immediately caught my attention and I am thinking of visiting this temple since that is what I like to do is visit temples. The temple is very large from viewing google street.

But before I do, since I am totally unfamiliar and may not be welcome for a visit, a few questions:

* Are there any members pf Ravidass Sabha religion on this forum?

* Which Indian community is following Guru Ravidass?

* Which time is typical to visit the temple for artik or ceremony or song/lecture other, and is the temple typically locked otherwise or can someone "just sbow up"?

* Would I be considered unwelcome or out of place?

* Do I remove shoes?

* Are lunches served as is common in Gurdwara?

* How does one give hundi?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Treks

Hello :)

I can't help you with information about how their temples work, but there is a connection to Sikhi (unfortunately including violence in 2009 :( )

Wikipedia has information on Ravidas Sahib Guru Ravidass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And information on Ravidassia Ravidassia religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of his bania were included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. They are profound! I have often thought of crossing from Sikhi into Ravidassia, but their communities are few and far between, and my Sikh tendencies deep down prevent me from following any particular human sant.

Here's part of one of his bania, appearing on panna 487 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji:

ਮਾਟੀ ਕੋ ਪੁਤਰਾ ਕੈਸੇ ਨਚਤੁ ਹੈ ॥
Mātī ko puṯrā kaise nacẖaṯ hai.
How does the puppet of clay dance?

ਦੇਖੈ ਦੇਖੈ ਸੁਨੈ ਬੋਲੈ ਦਉਰਿਓ ਫਿਰਤੁ ਹੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Ḏekẖai ḏekẖai sunai bolai ḏa▫ori▫o firaṯ hai. ||1|| rahā▫o.
He looks and listens, hears and speaks, and runs around. ||1||Pause||

ਜਬ ਕਛੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਬ ਗਰਬੁ ਕਰਤੁ ਹੈ ॥
Jab kacẖẖ pāvai ṯab garab karaṯ hai.
When he acquires something, he is inflated with ego.

ਮਾਇਆ ਗਈ ਤਬ ਰੋਵਨੁ ਲਗਤੁ ਹੈ ॥੧॥
Mā▫i▫ā ga▫ī ṯab rovan lagaṯ hai. ||1||
But when his wealth is gone, then he cries and bewails. ||1||

ਮਨ ਬਚ ਕ੍ਰਮ ਰਸ ਕਸਹਿ ਲੁਭਾਨਾ ॥
Man bacẖ karam ras kasėh lubẖānā.
In thought, word and deed, he is attached to the sweet and tangy flavors.

ਬਿਨਸਿ ਗਇਆ ਜਾਇ ਕਹੂੰ ਸਮਾਨਾ ॥੨॥
Binas ga▫i▫ā jā▫e kahū▫aʼn samānā. ||2||
When he dies, no one knows where he has gone. ||2||

ਕਹਿ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ਬਾਜੀ ਜਗੁ ਭਾਈ ॥
Kahi Raviḏās bājī jag bẖā▫ī.
Says Ravi Daas, the world is just a dramatic play, O Siblings of Destiny.

ਬਾਜੀਗਰ ਸਉ ਮਹਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਬਨਿ ਆਈ ॥੩॥੬॥
Bājīgar sa▫o mohi parīṯ ban ā▫ī. ||3||6||
I have enshrined love for the Lord, the star of the show. ||3||6||
If you would like to read more, visit www.srigranth.org and go to the button 'Advanced Gurbani Search' and do an Author Search for Devotee Ravidas.

If you visit their temple I'd love to hear how it goes. :)

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Yes I plan on visiting soon, and all the info provided was fantastic!
I am not sure if photos are allowed, if so I will also post photos.
The only question is when is the best time to visit and which part of the day.
I will be disappointed if I go and the gate is closed.
Don't want to be an intruder, either.