• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guru Purnima Day- honoring the teacher

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Today/tomorrow (depending on your timezone) is Guru Purnima Day. It occurs on the first full moon after the Summer solstice. And this year it's July 4th or July 5th. In India, the focus is on honoring with gratitude one's spiritual teachers.

I had the thought that we might all take a few minutes to honor those who we feel are our true teachers in life no matter what our religion or lack thereof.

I am deeply grateful to the ones who have walked before me to illumine the way, walked beside me as my friend and walked behind me to pick me up when I repeatedly fall.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
OM GUM GURUBHYO NAMAHA!
Salutations again and again to the peerless Guru!

Words will ever fail to describe what it is like to have one's guru, the destroyer of spiritual darkness (ignorance), appear in your life. It is a gift of supreme grace from God and alters everything--what you say, what you think, what you do--forever. There are no words of praise or explanation which will suffice to convey the magnitude of the event. May all be blessed to have that experience. Tatastu, Amen, so be it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I honor my gurus, Buddha and Sankara. I also honor my grandpa and my supervisor in one of the jobs that I held, who explained to me the meaning of Gita's 'Anasakti' (non-attachment) that one has to be without anger or hate even when one goes to a war.