• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grocery stores

I walk into a Walmart the majority of people there are obese.

I walk into a Trader Joe's and most people I see are thin yuppie types. They looked like they came from Gossip Girl!

I am not in favor of a nanny state like the one depicted in Demolition Man but I wish better food was more accessible to lower socioeconomic classes. Ever heard the term food desert?

I am not in favor of pumping food full of hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides. Call me a food snob I don't care.

Deidre

I don't shop at Walmart, but you can buy healthy foods there. It just takes effort to select and prepare. Vegetables, lean protein sources, and whole grains are all sold at Walmart, so...just a matter of making better choices. One doesn't need to spend a boat load of $$ in order to eat a healthy balanced diet of good fats/proteins and whole grains.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Never really grew out of my "ramen noodles or mac & cheese" phase.
The only healthy food I enjoy is carrots, I stay from the rest.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am not in favor of pumping food full of hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides. Call me a food snob I don't care.
There are plenty of reasons to oppose such things. Unfortunately though, due to "convenience" foods being flooded everywhere, many people do not know how to cook. And you have to make just about everything yourself if you want to eat healthy and cheap.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I walk into a Walmart the majority of people there are obese.

I walk into a Trader Joe's and most people I see are thin yuppie types. They looked like they came from Gossip Girl!

I am not in favor of a nanny state like the one depicted in Demolition Man but I wish better food was more accessible to lower socioeconomic classes. Ever heard the term food desert?

You're not really. I don't see people as "food snob" or "lazy eater" as neat little compartmentalized boxes.

I DO agree in the problem with food deserts. There are a few folks who are flying under the radar with their urban farming in severely economically depressed areas (LOTS of abandoned lots) and not only providing local free-range and pesticide-free organic food to the neighbors, but are changing their local economies for the better when Walmart even gives up on their communities.

Most successful ventures that produce longer-term, healthier choice, and community-built eating is from more "food-share" programs. Locally harvested, or fished, or picked, or butchered, or gleaned from a few *silent* but cooperative grocers who hate throwing away food into the trash just because of rotating inventory. I've helped in a few. But they're spearheaded by the most invisible....homeless veterans, elderly minority women, kids from high-trafficked areas...I think those are the grassroots movements that hopefully take hold in more neighborhoods.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't shop at Walmart, but you can buy healthy foods there. It just takes effort to select and prepare. Vegetables, lean protein sources, and whole grains are all sold at Walmart, so...just a matter of making better choices. One doesn't need to spend a boat load of $$ in order to eat a healthy balanced diet of good fats/proteins and whole grains.

Walmart has the best Asian varieties of rice, cheap. Thai red, a couple of blacks, basmati brown.