• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Philosophy of Puranas

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Here is a great story from puranas
Revati was the only daughter of King Kakudmi a powerful monarch who ruled Kusasthali, a prosperous and advanced kingdom under the sea, and who also controlled large tracts of land, including Anarta kingdom. Feeling that no human could prove to be good enough to marry his lovely and talented daughter, King Kakudmi took Revati with him to Brahma-loka (the plane of existence where Lord Brahma, the Creator, resides) to ask Lord Brahma's advice about finding a suitable husband for Revati.
When they arrived, Lord Brahma was listening to a musical performance by the Gandharvas, so they waited patiently until the performance was finished. Then, Kakudmi bowed humbly, made his request and presented his shortlist of candidates. Lord Brahma laughed loudly, and explained that time runs differently on different planes of existence, and that during the short time they had waited in Brahma-loka to see him, 27 chatur-yugas (a chatur-yuga equals to 4,320,000 human years) had passed on Earth. Also see the astronomical explanation. Lord Brahma said to Kakudmi, "O King, all those whom you may have decided within the core of your heart to accept as your son-in-law have passed away in the course of time. Twenty-seven chatur-yugas have already passed. Those upon whom you may have already decided are now gone, and so are their sons, grandsons and other descendants. You cannot even hear about their names."abhiyātaḥ — have passed; tri — three; nava — nine; chatur-yuga — four yugas; vikalpitaḥ — thus measured. [1] 'for many successions of ages have died whilst you were listening to our songsters: now upon earth the twenty-eighth great age of the present Manu is nearly finished, and the Kali period is at hand.' You must therefore bestow this virgin gem (i.e. Revati) upon some other husband, for you are now alone, and your friends, your ministers, servants, wives, kinsmen, armies, and treasures, have long since been swept away by the hand of time."[2]
King Kakudmi was overcome with astonishment and alarm at this news.[2] However, Lord Brahma comforted him, and added that Lord Vishnu, the Preserver, was currently incarnate on Earth in the forms of Krishna and Balarama, and he recommended Balarama as a worthy husband for Revati.
Kakudmi and Revati then returned to earth, which they regarded as having left only just a short while ago. They were shocked by the changes that had taken place. Not only had the landscape and environment changed, but over the intervening 27 chatur-yugas, in the cycles of human spiritual and cultural evolution, mankind was at a lower level of development than in their own time

Puranas are corrupted form time to time. I really have no Idea at present that puranas are actual Historical incidents or stories but no doubt they are greatest philosophies.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Puranas are corrupted form time to time. I really have no Idea at present that puranas are actual Historical incidents or stories but no doubt they are greatest philosophies.

I believe that sometimes they indeed hold great lessons. At other times I find them dangerous, as they can be misinterpreted, or even scary for children. But in all honestly, I'm not very familiar with them.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I know little about the puranas but based on what I jus read...Time is relative...and may be subjective as well

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I believe that sometimes they indeed hold great lessons. At other times I find them dangerous, as they can be misinterpreted, or even scary for children. But in all honestly, I'm not very familiar with them.
Hinduism is as deep as Ocean. You are right that puranas can be easily misinterpreted. I also believe that many puranas were created later during last 1000 years and altered from time to time. But Puranas definitely contains at least 20% to 40% true incidents. When I see Tantra it looks like a bridge between Vedas and Puranas. Many tantric rituals explains puranic stories.

I know little about the puranas but based on what I jus read...Time is relative...and may be subjective as well
Puranas are historical texts. Mainly their are 18 puranas containing more than 5 lakh verses.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Yes but also it contains: Men lived in kingdoms under the sea.
Daughters are objects to be given away, bartered like slaves.
A King, by his power, not his penance, can go to Brahmaloka whenever he wants to.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Yes but also it contains: Men lived in kingdoms under the sea.
Daughters are objects to be given away, bartered like slaves.
A King, by his power, not his penance, can go to Brahmaloka whenever he wants to.

YEs, these are real prolem with puranas. They are corrupted to large extend. And hindus lack sincere efforts to purify that. Indra the most powerful Vedic deity is represented as weak and coward in some puranas.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
However in case of Kingdom under sea. Isn't it possible with scientific advancement. Also many Yogis claims that many loka still exists around us but hidden from common people and these yogi went there through their yogic powers. Swami Nikileshwanand ji explains this in his book "himalaya ke siddh yogi" .

Last edited: