• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good books?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Hello friends,

I was wondering if you could name some good literature on Buddhism? I know that is a broad question, but I'm looking for anything that has to do with the religion.

Thank you all. :D

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Probably the best beginning general overview book for westerners is "It's Easier Than You Think", by Sylvia Boorstein, ISBN: 0062512943
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062512943/sr=8-2/qid=1152271054/ref=sr_1_2/102-1978235-0132924?ie=UTF8

We have an overview book for my particular school (Nichiren Shu), but that is probably not what most folks are looking for at first.

Another couple of good ones are:
"What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula, ISBN: 0802130313
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802130313/qid=1152271245/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1978235-0132924?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

and for a good solid technical look at Buddhist basics,
"Basic Buddhist Concepts" by Kogen Mizuno, ISBN: 4333012031
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4333012031/ref=sr_11_1/102-1978235-0132924?ie=UTF8

I hope this helps.

finalfrogo

How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life by the Dalai Lama is a good introduction.

After you finish the intro books, you should read The Heart of Buddha's Teachings by Thich Nhat Hanh. You should just have a bit of preknowledge for reading it, and it will probably clarify a lot of previously obscure topics you encounter.

finalfrogo

Engyo said:
Probably the best beginning general overview book for westerners is "It's Easier Than You Think", by Sylvia Boorstein, ISBN: 0062512943
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062512943/sr=8-2/qid=1152271054/ref=sr_1_2/102-1978235-0132924?ie=UTF8

We have an overview book for my particular school (Nichiren Shu), but that is probably not what most folks are looking for at first.

Another couple of good ones are:
"What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula, ISBN: 0802130313
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802130313/qid=1152271245/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1978235-0132924?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

and for a good solid technical look at Buddhist basics,
"Basic Buddhist Concepts" by Kogen Mizuno, ISBN: 4333012031
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4333012031/ref=sr_11_1/102-1978235-0132924?ie=UTF8

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that, Engyo, I think I may look into one of those. Do you have any slightly more advanced recommendations? So far, I have only read fundamental books and practice a very simple meditation. Where do I move from here?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
finalfrogo said:
How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life by the Dalai Lama is a good introduction.

After you finish the intro books, you should read The Heart of Buddha's Teachings by Thich Nhat Hanh. You should just have a bit of preknowledge for reading it, and it will probably clarify a lot of previously obscure topics you encounter.

Thank you, too. :D

Bishka

Veteran Member
There is one I just bought a few minutes ago on amazon, it's more for children, but it's simple with pictures, it's called Zen Shorts by Jon (and I don't remember his last name)

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
GeneCosta if you'd like free audio material as well as written material there is a great link here. There's quite a lot of Buddhist Basics style stuff floating around on BitTorrent sites too.

Incidentally, if anyone is intested in Zen Buddhism then 'Zen Training' by Katsuki Sekida is the best all-round book I've come across so far. If anyone has any recommendations along those lines I'd be interested.

nutshell

GeneCosta said:
Hello friends,

I was wondering if you could name some good literature on Buddhism? I know that is a broad question, but I'm looking for anything that has to do with the religion.

Thank you all. :D

That might sound strange, but I've discovered that you can learn a lot about religious thought through poetry and other writings. For Buddhism, I'd suggest "The Zen Fool" by Ryokan, a very famous Japanese Buddhist of the Soto sect. He's well known for his poetry and calligraphy and I think Zen teachings shine through his words.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
finalfrogo said:
Thanks for that, Engyo, I think I may look into one of those. Do you have any slightly more advanced recommendations? So far, I have only read fundamental books and practice a very simple meditation. Where do I move from here?

Frogo, I think from here is when you'll see a divergunce of philosophies and practices among the different schools of Buddhism, Zen, Theravada, Mahayana, Nichiren...........basically start researching at places like buddhanet.net or e-sang'ha, and you'll get a better idea of where your mind and your heart will lead you.

There is where you will find suggestions like links to ebooks, communities, and daily dharma/sutra study, audio links, etc. that will help you on your path.

A word of caution in your zest for study............don't rush enlightenment. :D There is no need to. Continuing to practice the basics, as redundant as they sometimes are, is one of the ways to perfection. I have been studying and practicing for 12 years or so, and I still see such a profound need to continue establishing simple meditation practices and studying the Four Noble Truths, the Five Precepts, and the Eightfold Path for deeper insight. Remember the symbolism of the lotus flower. :yes:

Peace,
Mystic

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
finalfrogo said:
Final -

Apologies - I didn't see this one until just now. If you are looking for something a bit more advanced, then the Mizuno book would be a good choice. It is a very solid technical look at Buddhist basics, which will give you an overview of the different traditions, and their different styles of practice, as well as the fundamental stuff.

Kogen Mizuno also has several more books out; one is a study of Buddhist sutras that is also a very good technical read. His stuff is somewhat scholarly though; it is well written but it is not "inspirational" in the sense that some Buddhist books are. They are more like reference works, with a great deal of data available but no conclusions drawn for you.

Hope this is of help.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
finalfrogo said:
Final -

Apologies - I didn't see this one until just now. If you are looking for something a bit more advanced, then the Mizuno book would be a good choice. It is a very solid technical look at Buddhist basics, which will give you an overview of the different traditions, and their different styles of practice, as well as the fundamental stuff.

Kogen Mizuno also has several more books out; one is a study of Buddhist sutras that is also a very good technical read. His stuff is somewhat scholarly though; it is well written but it is not "inspirational" in the sense that some Buddhist books are. These are more like reference works, with a great deal of data available but no conclusions drawn for you.

Hope this is of help.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
finalfrogo said:
Final -

Kogen Mizuno also has several more books out; one is a study of Buddhist sutras that is also a very good technical read. His stuff is somewhat scholarly though; it is well written but it is not "inspirational" in the sense that some Buddhist books are. These are more like reference works, with a great deal of data available but no conclusions drawn for you.

Hope this is of help.