• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden Calf

Finnyhaha

I was reading into Egyptian mythology and I came accross one thing that I thought was really interesting. Apparently one of the male deities was often portrayed in the form of a golden calf, representing the deceased pharoah. I can't find which it was at the moment, but I'm looking and I'll let you know if I find it. Thought it was interesting though, it specifically says "golden calf" not cow, not bull, calf. Thought it might potentially shed some interesting light on the story of the Hebrews making the golden calf. Especially since they did so after the pharoah had been killed. . .

Just a thought.

Finny

argento_occhi

Sarcastically gifted
OK, I've never heard of that. It sounds slightly too ... coincidental if you ask me. Sorry for being a skeptic. My first thought is Apis, though I'll do a bit of searching to see what I come up with.

I googled to see what I could find, and the only suggestions I could come up with (whilst being very selective in my sources and ignoring anything that has the word "Atlantean" in it) are Het-Hert, Wesir or Ra-Horakty, or a representation of the Sun Itself. There were also other Sumerian and Nubian Gods mentioned on various pages. That's about it, as I was going for references of a non-biblical nature.

Not a lot really, so if you can find where you read that, that's be helpful. As I said before, I'm naturally skeptical of such a connection, but I'm in no way trying to cut you down here. I'm just interested, that's all.

Argent

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
This is really quite amusing; I have discovered that I have a bit of a knack of finding things out -even if they are obscure; of course i am extremely modest as well...................

Imagine my astonishment when I was searchin on the web for your question, and had an immediate match - and guess what ? - it was your thread!!:biglaugh:
I did find this though...
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN THE SINAI?

"The golden calf is believed to be Ihy, son of Hathor rather than the cow-sun-god such as Apis, Horus, Ra, or Amun. Alison Roberts points out this fact in pages 29-32 of her HATHOR RISING (Totnes, Northgate, 1995), where Ihy's young bull nature is shown to be coupled with jackal attributes.

The jackal is the animal (or animal-god: Up-Uaut) which led departed Egyptians through the desert of death,

and the golden-calf worshippers of Exodus needed just such a guide on their potential death-march through the Sinai."

"Ihy: In Egyptian mythology, the son of Hathor, who was worshipped in Dendera with her and Horus-Behdety. Like his mother, Ihy was a god of music and dancing, and was always depicted as a child bearing a sistrum.

"Youthful Netjer (god) whose name means 'sistrum player' and was the son of Het-Hert (Hathor) and Heru (Horus). His name rarely appears outside the mammisi, a temple where the divine birth and conception were celebrated. He is a child with the sidelock of youth and holds either a sistrum or a menat. In the Book of the Dead or the Coffin texts he is referred to as 'lord of bread ... in charge of beer'. Dictionary of Ancient Egyptian Religion.

HHope that's what you are looking for; I have been looking for your Gods as cardinal points, but can't find anything; I can really become quite stubborn about these things!:)

Duwayitheru

Finnyhaha said:
Apparently one of the male deities was often portrayed in the form of a golden calf, representing the deceased pharoah. I can't find which it was at the moment, but I'm looking and I'll let you know if I find it.
Wesir (Osiris) was sometimes called "Bull of Amentet". The dead pharoh was associated with Wesir in his death, as he was associated with Heru in life. That's the only thing that comes to mind right now..

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Many of the Ancient Egyptian Gods and Goddesses were represented by either animals or human bodies with animal heads. There is something very important to keep in mind between the golden calf story in the Abrahamic bible and the Gods that are symbolized by animals...

When those that worship the Gods and/or Goddesses of Ancient Egypt, we may kneel and pray before a statue. I even own several golden statues of some of my Deities that I have prayed before. This does not mean that I, or anyone else of my faith, is worshiping the statue. In the "golden calf" story of the Abrahamic Bible, the people were said to have been worshiping the statue. There is a huge difference there. Probably the best way to explain it (if you don't understand it yet) would be the way a Christian might pray before a crucifix, using that crucifix to focus on their love for Jesus. Are they worshiping the crucifix or are they using the crucifix as a symbol of the One they are really worshiping?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I know that Ptah, the Lord of Memphis was sometimes honored with the image of a golden calf, but this was likely due to his later syncretization with Wesir as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir.

arimoff

I was reading into Egyptian mythology and I came accross one thing that I thought was really interesting. Apparently one of the male deities was often portrayed in the form of a golden calf, representing the deceased pharoah. I can't find which it was at the moment, but I'm looking and I'll let you know if I find it. Thought it was interesting though, it specifically says "golden calf" not cow, not bull, calf. Thought it might potentially shed some interesting light on the story of the Hebrews making the golden calf. Especially since they did so after the pharoah had been killed. . .

Just a thought.

Finny

very interesting.

Well I always looked at the story of golden calf as a symbol of trusting in G-D, Moses the spiritual leader who took the Hebrews out of slavery disappears for 40 days and 40 nights, people who are already depended on Moses loose hope, and who would they turn too in such a case? obviously pharaoh their ex-master human god. So I would say your point makes a lot of sense to me.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Both Wesir (Osiris) and Heru-sa-Aset (Horus) are connected with the symbology of the calf. Heru-sa-Aset in infant form is even called the milking calf on the breast of his mother Aset.