• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Job Description (by a 10-year-old)

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
You know on second thought, it's all good. My first gut reaction was damn, does this kid have any fun? :)
Any further comment would be judgmental on my part, and I am sure your son is a beautiful little guy, so I'll refrain from further negative critique of the list.

On the bigger picture side of things it pains me to think 10 year old kids need to know some of these things, and is a great testament to just how stupid we are every second of everyday, to not change the world faster than we are for our next 10 year old children to come along.

Thank you. We are in total agreement... it suck that 10-year-olds can't be 10-year-olds anymore. Regarding having fun... IMO, I've never seen a kid that has more fun than he does... and he certianly doesn't worry or loose any sleep due to any on his list... he sleeps like a log. ;)

Last edited:

Skeptisch

Richard Dawkins’ letter to his ten year old daughter seems to fit nicely on this thread:

“Dear Juliet,
Now that you are ten, I want to write to you about something that is important to me. Have you ever wondered how we know the things that we know? How do we know, for instance, that the stars, which look like tiny pinpricks in the sky, are really huge balls of fire like the sun and are very far away? And how do we know that Earth is a smaller ball whirling round one of those stars, the sun?”….

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/dawkins2.html#

Amill

Apikoros
Nice! I can't wait till I get an opportunity to discuss this kind of stuff with my kids one day. I'm gonna try to hold off my opinions for as long as I can, and see what kind of answers he comes to. Course if the mother has strong religious beliefs I may not get the chance:( I just can't wait to discuss this kind of stuff, I don't really have anyone in real life to comfortably discuss ideas about existence and morality with. My family isn't religious but we don't really discuss deep questions too often, and my friends are either uncaring or religious but aren't into talking about it. Would be cool to have a child that's as drawn to the Cosmos as I am.:yes:

Moonstone

inactive
That was adorable really. He seems very caring
"9.) Give handicaps back what they lost"

"13.) Treat people the same including gay people and ladies"

...you must be a great dad! :rainbow1:
-Dot

Skeptisch

Would be cool to have a child that's as drawn to the Cosmos as I am.:yes:
With your influence your future child will ask for evidence rather than accept “the truth” with blind faith in theological authorities.

Nature will automatically lead a child to investigate reality (playing). Richard Feynman, the man you came as close to understanding Quantum Mechanics as one could at the time, tells us in his book “The Pleasure Of Finding Things Out” how his dad would observe the laws of physics in the real world, in nature, with him. These simple observations formed little Richard’s opinion about why things are the way they are and he never had the need for any supernatural explanations.

I tried to do the same thing with my own children and am now very blessed to be able to explore nature the second time around, this time with my grandchildren.

Amill, since you seem to be fascinated by space, here is a time table that let’s you observe the space station zooming by in your area.
http://www.heavens-above.com/countries.aspx
Make sure you follow the guide and click ISS (International Space Station). Children just love space and when you tell them that the ISS travels around the whole world in roughly 90minutes the “awe” gets going.

We know the natural world exist and is so much fun to observe. This observation often reduces and may even stop the need for us making up supernatural fairytales.

look3467

Premium Member
Mat 21:16 And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?

Blessings, AJ

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Am I the only one who thinks this kid is going to grow up to be grossly disillusioned by his father's atheism?

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Am I the only one who thinks this kid is going to grow up to be grossly disillusioned by his father's atheism?

When he get's old enough, he can decide whatever he wants for himself and I'll be 100% supportive of him. In the meantime, I won't be contrbiuting to his disillusion by any faith, especially one that's mine as opposed to one that's his.