• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goddess Kali and Goddess Tara.

Tyaga

Na Asat
Namaste,

What are the main differences between Goddess Kali and Tara?They both look strikingly similar to each other.Both have ferocious looks and they stand upon Lord Shiva's body.They both hold a chopped head in their hands and are almost nude.AFAIK Kali is pure black in colour,as her name indicates, meanwhile Tara is depicted as blue in colour(she is also known as Nila i.e Blue Sarasvati).Other than this,are there any other differences between them?

Kalidas

Both are actually a part of the ten Mahavidyas

Mahavidya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ten aspects representing the divine feminine aspects of shakti. Ranging from the terrifying Kali to the benign. Tripura Sundari

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_(Devi)

According to this, she is the form that took first seed and birthed Vishnu.
Which is interesting. I totally remember reading a part in the Devi Bhagavtam in which it discusses the creation of the creator that created the creator(the birth of Vishnu who would create Brahma). He was surrounded by ten Devis who talk to him and tell him of his future and what will happen. That is very neat.

There is also a story of Tara breast feeding Shiva to save him from an evil demonic poison.

Last edited:

Tyaga

Na Asat
Namaste Kalidas,

Yes,i'm aware of that.Kali and Tara,both of them are Mahavidyas.I'm also aware of the myth regarding Tara,it is strikingly similar to the myth of Kali as well.

However,i was specifically asking about the iconographic difference b/w Kali and Tara....

Kalidas

Tyāga;3810872 said:
Namaste Kalidas,

Yes,i'm aware of that.Kali and Tara,both of them are Mahavidyas.I'm also aware of the myth regarding Tara,it is strikingly similar to the myth of Kali as well.

However,i was specifically asking about the iconographic difference b/w Kali and Tara....

Ah... that one I don't know. But I did notice the wiki of Mahavidyas has Tara carrying 2 swords (one curved and one straight) and I didn't see a head... I'm not sure though. I do know Kalis iconography though if you want that.

Draupadi

I thought Goddess Kali had her named derive d from the word 'kal' or 'time' as She was Time Herself and not because of Her complexion?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
IMHO, Bodhisattva Tara is a development from generally ferocious Hindu local Goddesses, most likely from Kali, but the Buddhist changed her attributes quite a lot; just as the Zoroastrians changed the attributes of Yazatas (the venerables) and Ashas.

Tyaga

Na Asat
I thought Goddess Kali had her named derive d from the word 'kal' or 'time' as She was Time Herself and not because of Her complexion?

Namaste,

There are different opinions about her name.IMHO Kali,as being the supreme reality,is beyond time.

Tyaga

Na Asat
IMHO, Bodhisattva Tara is a development from generally ferocious Hindu local Goddesses, most likely from Kali, but the Buddhist changed her attributes quite a lot; just as the Zoroastrians changed the attributes of Yazatas (the venerables) and Ashas.

Namaste,i was talking about the Hindu Goddess named Tara aka Neela Sarasvati ,and not the Buddhist Bodhisattva.

Tara:

pbabe110_mahavidya_goddess_tara_with_pair_scissors.jpg

Kali:

Goddess-Kali-Dancing-on-Shiva-Bengal-1860s.jpg

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
It looks to me as if Tara and Kali are different names for the same Goddess. They're depictions are so similar. Many Gods are depicted under various names with only slight differences in iconography and are considered the same Goddess.

:camp:

JaiMaaDurga

Namaste,

Though in some ways Maa Kali and Maa Tara appear very similar, they are not the
same- Maa Tara is described as round-bellied, and holding a lotus and scissors;
the details are a bit lengthy to explain the meanings behind the differences, but
further learning does make the history and reasons clearer in this.
It is really down to the path of the devotee whether one's focus should be on a
particular form of Devi (and what form at what time), or not.

As far as Maa Kali's name referring to time or color, it is my understanding that
it is all true- while She governs time, She is thus beyond it- and what lies beyond
cycles of creation/preservation/destruction in our own limited conceptual ability,
but the infinite depth of blackness? The blueness also seen can be a reference to the
symbolic limitlessness of the sky, as well as relatedness to Lord Vishnu.

As with many of these things, there are many answers, depending on who asks and
who answers- and many facets to those answers.. but it is always worth pursuing
more knowledge, as long as clarity, self-honesty and sound judgement are not
neglected. Better to be patient and let Devi point the way, than demand immediate
certainty that may prove to be illusory in light of later wisdom, yes?

JAI MATA DI

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am not into 'tantra', so know only 'Navadurgas'. If there are any other Goddesses, they are forms of the Mother Goddess. My homage to all. :)