• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God/Yahweh/Allah I BELIEVE started as volcanic activity

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Or, maybe, because they aren't impressed, and neither am I. The only reason I'm still here is because I'm a persistent fool. ^_^

Look, I'm not saying it WASN'T a volcano, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that it was. It very well could have been; after all, we're talking about antiquity so far away from us that we simply can't know for sure about anything without a time machine.

Therefore, if I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on those passages in the Bible to be hyperbole and metaphor, since I've already put my money on the notion that the exodus is a fictional story, and not an historical event.
Spot on.

The Fog Horn

Or, maybe, because they aren't impressed, and neither am I. The only reason I'm still here is because I'm a persistent fool. ^_^

Look, I'm not saying it WASN'T a volcano, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that it was. It very well could have been; after all, we're talking about antiquity so far away from us that we simply can't know for sure about anything without a time machine.

Therefore, if I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on those passages in the Bible to be hyperbole and metaphor, since I've already put my money on the notion that the exodus is a fictional story, and not an historical event.

but there doesn't seem to be any indication that it was

You're kidding right? Are you seriously saying there is NO indication the Hebrews believed volcanic activity was a god? You've read all the verses I've posted and you still cannot recognise the description of a volcano amongst them? You do realise that the word 'volcano' does not appear in the Bible. Could the terms 'mountain of god' and 'most high' be refering to volcanoes? Of course!! Along with the obvious volcano verses, those names for god make perfect sense.

Of course we cannot know for sure. I've said this myself before. But that does not mean we cannot make logical and educated guesses based on the information we can scrape together. I'm not only putting the volcano possibility to you but the possibility the Exodus happened and that other stories in the Bible might be based partially on facts. Of course the Bible is full of metaphors but what I'm saying is that those metaphors must refer to something real.

And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. 2 Kings 6:17

The chariots of God are tens of thousands and thousands of thousands; the Lord [has come] from Sinai into his sanctuary. Psalm 68:17

What could horses and chariots be refering to? Tumbling clouds of volcanic ash. Stories about god destroying towns and winning battles can be trimmed down to being towns being destroyed by volcanic eruptions.

He makes winds his messengers, flames of fire his servants. Psalm 104:4

That gives the game away. The Bible is telling you that metaphors are used. Once you believe this you will have the ability to literally see through the ******** and to the reality. It's just a matter of taking away the magical thinking and exposing the truth.

I think it's far more far fetched to believe the Bible is entirely fabricated. Why on earth would anyone write all that rubbish about how to sacrifice animals if animal sacrifice never happened? That does not make for good fiction. More like a butchers' manual.

Common sense is needed and a lack of pedantry. Yes, if you choose to ignore everything just because it's not been 'peer reviewed' or stamped with a big red stamp by someone 'professional' then so be it but I think that is being a bit....

It at least deserves further investigation and as far as I am aware no peer is doing this right now so how about everyone here do the hard work rather than wait to be told what the result is?

Exodus 19:16 On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled.

Psalm 104:3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Exodus 19:16 On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled.

mythology and legend doesnt constitute reality, no volcanic activity from that time existed in the levant

The Fog Horn

no one doubts man created volcanic besed deities.

there is how ever no tie to elohim or yahwey as being volcanic based, only mountain based for one of the two

Please go through this entire thread, read all my posts and note all my Biblical verses at the ends of many of my posts and then let me know if it could be inferred that Yahweh was valcanic. That goes for anyone else.

Exodus 19:3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain 9 And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee for ever. 12 And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death. 13 there shall not a hand touch it, but he shall surely be stoned, or shot through; whether it be beast or man, it shall not live. 16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, Rev. 4.5 and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled. 18 And mount Si'nai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: Deut. 4.11, 12 and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What you don't seem to realize is that we can't just use scriptural verses to determine what was going on at the time. Like I said, if we could confirm good volcanic activity in that area at that time, then you might have something. But there is no actual indication beyond the verses you've provided, and as a result, the best we can objectively say is that those verses are poetry; i.e., hyperbole and metaphor.

The Fog Horn

What you don't seem to realize is that we can't just use scriptural verses to determine what was going on at the time. Like I said, if we could confirm good volcanic activity in that area at that time, then you might have something. But there is no actual indication beyond the verses you've provided, and as a result, the best we can objectively say is that those verses are poetry; i.e., hyperbole and metaphor.

You have got to be kidding! Have you followed all my posts? I can't believe you've looked at all of them because I've talked about the Jordan Rift Valley and Saudi being full of seismic activity. Only last year Saudi experienced 30 000 earthquakes due to magma pushing upwards! The whole place is a magma hotbed.

Ancient Saudi Lava Field Triggered Quakes : Discovery News

P.s. why do you comment after I post articles when you've obviously not had time to read the article? It took me a good hour to read that first part but you posted your comment after it was here for five minutes. How do you expect me to combat that kind of preference for ignorance?

outhouse

Atheistically
You have got to be kidding! Have you followed all my posts? I can't believe you've looked at all of them because I've talked about the Jordan Rift Valley and Saudi being full of seismic activity. Only last year Saudi experienced 30 000 earthquakes due to magma pushing upwards! The whole place is a magma hotbed.

Ancient Saudi Lava Field Triggered Quakes : Discovery News

P.s. why do you comment after I post articles when you've obviously not had time to read the article? It took me a good hour to read that first part but you posted your comment after it was here for five minutes. How do you expect me to combat that kind of preference for ignorance?

doesnt matter, no volcanic activity took place in the time of the composition of the collection of OT scripts.

with your shoddy work here, you blatantly discount all modern scholarship on a poorly formed opinion.

The Fog Horn

Posted again because it seems some people never noticed it.....

This link to Wikipedia shows a list of volcanoes in Saudi Arabia....(the red dashes mean there is no data....always ALWAYS bare in mind the Saudi's will not want anyone to know about this...if I am indeed correct).

List of volcanoes in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Wikipedia shows a list of volcanoes throughout the world...

Category:Volcanoes by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Wikipedia page is for Harrat Ash Shamah in Jordan/Saudi/Syria...

Harrat Ash Shamah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This unlikely site, 'Oregan State''s education section briefly summarises the harrat (volcanic field) that stretches from North Western Saudi Arabia to Jordan and into Syria.

Harrat Ash-Shamah, Saudi Arabia

This site, Saudi Aramco World, explains that a volcano near Mecca and Medina is constantly rumbling and threatening to destroy its nearby cities. Why, you might ask (hopefully/please!!) would the centre of Islam be sited next to a massive volcano? These questions must surely be coming to you. Within the text you will find the following quote...

'Within the last 4500 years there have been 13 major eruptions in the Arabian Peninsular, on average one every 346 years.'

Saudi Aramco World : Volcanic Arabia

I

The Fog Horn

FROGS

This is what the great LORD says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me. If you refuse to let them go, I will plague your whole country with frogs. The Nile will teem with frogs. They will come up into your palace and your bedroom and onto your bed, into the houses of your officials and on your people, and into your ovens and kneading troughs. The frogs will go up on you and your people and all your officials. Exodus 8:1-4

Please see....

Toads' Earthquake Exodus: detect impending seismic activity - Earth Changes and the Pole Shift

outhouse

Atheistically

This link to Wikipedia shows a list of volcanoes in Saudi Arabia....(the red dashes mean there is no data....always ALWAYS bare in mind the Saudi's will not want anyone to know about this...if I am indeed correct).

This unlikely site, 'Oregan State''s education section briefly summarises the harrat (volcanic field) that stretches from North Western Saudi Arabia to Jordan and into Syria.

This site, Saudi Aramco World, explains that a volcano near Mecca and Medina is constantly rumbling and threatening to destroy its nearby cities. Why, you might ask (hopefully/please!!) would the centre of Islam be sited next to a massive volcano? These questions must surely be coming to you. Within the text you will find the following quote...

'Within the last 4500 years there have been 13 major eruptions in the Arabian Peninsular, on average one every 346 years.'

I

that is the problem we did notice it.

funny one can trace certain gods back to their origins based on the people who worshipped them. NONE of the abrahamic gods, elohim or yahwey are traced back to that specific are of volcanic activity.

If you knew the first thing about mythology and scholarships you would not discount them for a off the wall guess backed by no one. You would haw ever understand that elohim is the one true god of many, and yahwey is a warrior god. even their estomology doest trace back to a volcano.

go fish

outhouse

Atheistically
No where in your links is there a eruption dated to exactly 1600-1200BC about the time of the creation of the hebrew gods

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

I

Then why have you, an amateur, noticed this while scholars, who spend their entire lives, nay, make their livings off of, studying these matters, determining the origins of religion, never notice these?

Have you considered that they already considered this option, and ruled it out as unlikely?

I notice your most often posting from Wikipedia. While the site has gotten WAY better than when it started, that's hardly reliable scholarship.

First of all, you claim that, essentially, Mount Sinai was a volcano. The thing is, it's actually not known where Mount Sinai may have been located. Let's assume, for a moment, that the exodus did historically happen, roughly as it was described in the Bible.

You're constantly pointing out volcanoes in Saudi Arabia, but you seem to forget that the Israelites never ended up in Saudi Arabia; the currently most accepted route is along the coast of the Sinai Penninsula. Here's the map from one of the links you have:

ARM4-01-Saudi-Arabia3.jpg

Look at the locations of the only three volcanoes. Now, compare those to the accepted possible route:

The%20Exodus.jpg

Notice how the route NEVER ONCE goes into the Arabian peninsula, let alone anywhere near those volcanoes.

Also, notice how, at the location of Mount Sinai, there's a question mark next to it, and in parenthesis, the word "Horeb". That is the most likely place according to my research. AND, according to my research, there is no real volcanic activity on the Sinai Peninsula, nor has there ever been.

The Fog Horn

No where in your links is there a eruption dated to exactly 1600-1200BC about the time of the creation of the hebrew gods

Proving once again you're posting on a thread you've not read.

Research Santorini....Thera....the biggest eruption in recorded history. Just North of Egypt. It was so destruction it ended a Chinese dynsaty.

The Fog Horn

Then why have you, an amateur, noticed this while scholars, who spend their entire lives, nay, make their livings off of, studying these matters, determining the origins of religion, never notice these?

Have you considered that they already considered this option, and ruled it out as unlikely?

I notice your most often posting from Wikipedia. While the site has gotten WAY better than when it started, that's hardly reliable scholarship.

First of all, you claim that, essentially, Mount Sinai was a volcano. The thing is, it's actually not known where Mount Sinai may have been located. Let's assume, for a moment, that the exodus did historically happen, roughly as it was described in the Bible.

You're constantly pointing out volcanoes in Saudi Arabia, but you seem to forget that the Israelites never ended up in Saudi Arabia; the currently most accepted route is along the coast of the Sinai Penninsula. Here's the map from one of the links you have:

ARM4-01-Saudi-Arabia3.jpg

Look at the locations of the only three volcanoes. Now, compare those to the accepted possible route:

The%20Exodus.jpg

Notice how the route NEVER ONCE goes into the Arabian peninsula, let alone anywhere near those volcanoes.

Also, notice how, at the location of Mount Sinai, there's a question mark next to it, and in parenthesis, the word "Horeb". That is the most likely place according to my research. AND, according to my research, there is no real volcanic activity on the Sinai Peninsula, nor has there ever been.

You've not read all my posts.

Have a look at how many question marks there are along that route. That route is fabricated to hide the truth. I have already stated in this thread that there are no volcanoes in either Egypt or Sinai. That is probably why Mount Sinai was pegged where it was....to fudge the facts further. Read the Bible. It says very clearly Mount Sinai was in Midian and Midian is now Saudi! I made a whole post on this and included several verses that demonstate Mt Sinai and the Hebrews were in North Western Saudi.