• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God wants there to be Atheists

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I could not be an Atheist because I've had too many coincidences and experiences where everything else failed, but prayer filled my heart with peace, joy, hope, and consoling visions, but I sympathize with Atheists.

If God left a clear message in the sky every now and then or spoke clear messages to people, how many Atheists would there be? Would you still be one?

God doesn't do that and obviously He knows that the result is that there will be disbelief. God wants it that way, therefore it must be a good thing (in His opinion.)

lostwanderingsoul

Well, God really cares but He is not giving a free pass to Heaven/paradise. God wants people to earn a place in His kingdom by proving they can overcome hardship. Heaven is not for everyone, only those who are worthy.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I could not be an Atheist because I've had too many coincidences and experiences where everything else failed, but prayer filled my heart with peace, joy, hope, and consoling visions, but I sympathize with Atheists.

If God left a clear message in the sky every now and then or spoke clear messages to people, how many Atheists would there be? Would you still be one?

God doesn't do that and obviously He knows that the result is that there will be disbelief. God wants it that way, therefore it must be a good thing (in His opinion.)

Maybe...or maybe God just isn't there at all.

It probably would have been better if God had never sent any angels or messengers or tried to communicate with His creation at all. Especially if He was planning on pulling the silent routine most of the time. If He had kept silent and never told anyone of His existence, then everyone would be an atheist. There really wouldn't be any need to even identify as "atheist."

It's also possible that God wants us to be agnostic, since unless someone can claim that God has spoken to them personally, no one has any more knowledge than anyone else. If you don't truly know something, then be honest about it and say "I don't know." It's the people who have "faith" and claim to know something when they really don't - they're lying, and if there is a God, He will likely call them on that.

idea

Question Everything

Well if god was going to make himself so immediately known, why bother making earth in the first place?

Why would things be like they are?

If they wanted to be upfront with us and truly cared we would be in heaven/paradise/wherever right now.

How many people have a conscience?

That little small voice? It's real. Everyone has heard it. That's God's voice - He has made Himself known to everyone....

How many people listen to their conscience, that's quite another story.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
Well, God really cares but He is not giving a free pass to Heaven/paradise. God wants people to earn a place in His kingdom by proving they can overcome hardship. Heaven is not for everyone, only those who are worthy.

No one earns anything - the atonement is a free gift - not something that is earned. God does not want anyone to "earn" anything... He wants us to choose what we prefer. Do you like pizza better or do you like health food? Do you like having lots of friends, or do you like hanging out by yourself? Do you like harps? or is that not your cup of tea? What do you choose? God is just letting everyone choose for themselves what they like.

Spiderman

Veteran Member

It probably would have been better if God had never sent any angels or messengers or tried to communicate with His creation at all. Especially if He was planning on pulling the silent routine most of the time. If He had kept silent and never told anyone of His existence, then everyone would be an atheist. There really wouldn't be any need to even identify as "atheist."

It's also possible that God wants us to be agnostic, since unless someone can claim that God has spoken to them personally, no one has any more knowledge than anyone else. If you don't truly know something, then be honest about it and say "I don't know." It's the people who have "faith" and claim to know something when they really don't - they're lying, and if there is a God, He will likely call them on that.
I truly feel for you and all agnostics. If I become agnostic again I'll likely kill myself. I have had many expensive hospitalizations, therapies, shock treatments, medications, brain scan, DBT, rehab, and the help has been minimal. I hate being alive and tried suicide by laying down in front of an oncoming train. I just want to die and hate being alive.

The only thing that helped me was prayer, especially the Rosary and devotion to Mother Mary. It is totally free and helped me more than all those costly professionals and drugs with side-effects.

I have often been suicidal and filled with repugnance for life, and prayer swiftly transformed my feelings into joy, euphoria, and peace.

When I am deeply prayerful, I become a meek, humble, polite, and charitable person. When I don't pray or turn to the spirits and God for help, I become immature, inane, drug-addicted, dishonest, perverted, selfish, and worthless!

I don't do Dogma because Dogma divides people and the sacred texts lead people to opposite beliefs, but prayer is everything to me, because it is the only thing that helps. It would be impossible for me to be an Atheist because of the coincidences and experiences I've had that were revolutionizing, transforming, and consoling...

...But I truly feel for you and other agnostic/atheists. The sad fact is God hides himself and leaves any rational thinker with the thought that maybe he isn't there or doesn't care, and I find that very sad :(

Spiderman

Veteran Member
How many people have a conscience?

That little small voice? It's real. Everyone has heard it. That's God's voice - He has made Himself known to everyone....

How many people listen to their conscience, that's quite another story.
I like your post, but the problem is that still small voice tells one person to be Muslim, another to be Catholic, another to be Protestant, another to be Mormon, another to be Pagan, and so forth.

idea

Question Everything
I like your post, but the problem is that still small voice tells one person to be Muslim, another to be Catholic, another to be Protestant, another to be Mormon, another to be Pagan, and so forth.

Why is this a problem? Should everyone be an artist? should everyone be a scientist?

14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

1 Cor 12

Are the members on RF who claim to be the next coming of Jesus also hearing god in their head?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Illustrations of the Tao » John C. Wright's Journal

I did not invent this stuff, most people recognize it.

Blackdog22

If something left a clear message in the sky I wouldn't know for sure if it was coming from God, but I suppose if it wanted to call itself God I would be fine with that. I would just want to know more about him and what he knows about the Universe. Its like if my fish were capable of intellectual thought in my tank. I could tell them I was God, they wouldn't know any better, probably wouldnt care what name I gave myself, but may wonder whats outside of the fishbowl and why I have them trapped in my house.

Blackdog22

Ah, except for the thousands of Jews who walked in his presence coming out of Egypt, or Moses himself, or all the disciples, or the apparent 250,000 that saw Mary in Egypt in 1968, or the billions who claim he sends really vague messages to them in their heads, or every angel created, or Adam and Eve, Or Noah, or Shadrak, Meshak and Abindigo (Im sure I butchered those names btw). Everyone except those right?

Lets take a moment to actually think about this and realize just because I am aware All State exists doesnt mean I HAVE to use them as my insurance company. In other words, nothing about God showing up would make me suddenly go to Heaven and choose him. What logic are you even using to come to this conclusion? The angels knew God face to face and a third chose to disregard this God being, maybe for good reason. Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense.

Blackdog22

To add to this excellent point, if God had never made us aware of his existence we would all be freed by ignorance. The Bible states that people who didn't know him would be judged accordingly. His coming, and sending of Jesus, only made it so its much harder to even get into heaven in the first place. Now we have to additionally believe, with no evidence, that some guy died, rose from the dead, flew around, and did it all for some imagined concept called sin, instead of being like the guy in the middle of Africa who has never heard of Jesus/God etc, who will be better off without that knowledge and will be judged on his own merit. Then you have these lunatics trying to get the message out there even further to remote areas of the world only compounding the issue and making it HARDER for people to get into heaven. Really makes you wonder what the hells going on there.

Blackdog22

No one earns anything - the atonement is a free gift - not something that is earned. God does not want anyone to "earn" anything... He wants us to choose what we prefer. Do you like pizza better or do you like health food? Do you like having lots of friends, or do you like hanging out by yourself? Do you like harps? or is that not your cup of tea? What do you choose? God is just letting everyone choose for themselves what they like.

Agreed, except Gods version is kind of like; Do you like loving me or do you like me putting you in a furnace? Makes the whole thing sound a bit unhealthy.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you need to have a origin for the consequences you experience?

If god spoke, technically, I wouldn't be an atheist. However, the point is believing in him. I shouldn't believe him out of fear. I don't care to believe in him regardless. So my being atheist has nothing to do with god himself; his existence. Atheism means nothing to me. To be a friend, it should be both ways. That is what I would focus on not his existence.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

Overcoming hardship? The hardship of looking at things rationally, perhaps? This makes no sense at all, if there is a god who cares, and it's important to us to believe, then playing hide-and-seek is just perverse.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Thank you but I don't need your sympathy, I'm fine and really enjoying life.
Oh, you mean if the was EVIDENCE of god. Well then there'd be a lot less atheist, but even if she did exist, would I worship her? I doubt it, it sounds a bit like North Korea.

God's a bit of a plonker then, isn't she?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Too bad God cannot even be able to verify that. All of this really comes from you and your thoughts on the matter.

Nowhere else is God being said or implied anywhere in nature, or the cosmos whatsoever, outside said person or person's statement. That's the actual reality.

It's simply an idea that's been introduced first in the mind, and consequently interpreted from said experiences and put out as something that's not even there.

capumetu

(2 Peter 3:9) . . .Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.

Kinda throws your theory off balance

capumetu @yours.com no space after u

mfrunyan