• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God may punish but eternity in hell?

lilJimmy

The americanchristiansociety (com) says:
Punishment for our sins if we do not seek forgiveness:
Some people say it is hell for eternity if one does not seek forgiveness for even the smallest offense. We don’t know what the punishment is but one can guess it is something like an eye for an eye. What a great way to teach a lesson to someone who is not sorry. After all, that is what God wants for us, so that we can grow and develop. God does not have us waste away in hell.
The idea of a permanent hell with no escape or no hope CONTRADICTS who God is as a creator. Sorry, but so does the idea of a permanent heaven where things never change and we accept the idea that some of us are in hell with no hope.

What do you think?

A

angellous_evangellous

So you think that God cannot destroy what she creates?

lilJimmy

The goal of all mankind is to achieve balance and become one with God. This process can take millions of lifetimes. It is God’s will for all of mankind to achieve this oneness. Once achieved, the process starts again with a separation… “Let us create man in our image and in our likeness…”
so... God does not destroy (permanently) all things breakdown but then are made new.

A

angellous_evangellous

I have the distinct feeling that you did not address my question.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Should parents be permitted to destroy their own children for arbitrary, nonsensical reasons just because they created them? And there's a difference between nonexistence and eternal torture.

That's the problem with Hell; justice is when the punishment fits the crime, and I can't imagine what any human is capable of doing that equals to eternal torture in severity. I can understand souls spending a stint in hell for serious offenses, but not an eternity. And people make the argument that Hell exists because sinners can't be in god's presence, but why not simply take them out of existence? Why is the torture necessary?

A

angellous_evangellous

Should parents be permitted to destroy their own children for arbitrary, nonsensical reasons just because they created them? And there's a difference between nonexistence and eternal torture.

That's the problem with Hell; justice is when the punishment fits the crime, and I can't imagine what any human is capable of doing that equals to eternal torture in severity. I can understand souls spending a stint in hell for serious offenses, but not an eternity. And people make the argument that Hell exists because sinners can't be in god's presence, but why not simply take them out of existence? Why is the torture necessary?

Perhaps not, but they are able and it doesn't mean that they aren't parents of their children.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It is a misconception that God punishes people for "nonsensical reasons". Finding and worshiping God is reconciliation with God, from whom we have separated. That is all it is.

Blackdog22

Is murdering your family okay? I did create them with my sperm after all. So killing them must be fine. Because creating something removes all sense of morality and decency?

I would have to ask how could an all good God be capable of such a wicked thing? Is it not a contradiction? Do we equate the woman who murdered her 3 kids by drowning them with a loving mother? Where do our standards come from if God is capable of evil? Certainly not from him.

Last edited:

Midnight Pete

The americanchristiansociety (com) says:
Punishment for our sins if we do not seek forgiveness:
Some people say it is hell for eternity if one does not seek forgiveness for even the smallest offense. We don’t know what the punishment is but one can guess it is something like an eye for an eye. What a great way to teach a lesson to someone who is not sorry. After all, that is what God wants for us, so that we can grow and develop. God does not have us waste away in hell.
The idea of a permanent hell with no escape or no hope CONTRADICTS who God is as a creator. Sorry, but so does the idea of a permanent heaven where things never change and we accept the idea that some of us are in hell with no hope.

What do you think?

I think the individual is deserving of what he creates for himself. I think some of us are in hell with no hope and realize it only after it's too late.

C.S. Lewis said, "The lost enjoy forever the horrible freedom they have demanded."

Midnight Pete

Is murdering your family okay? I did create them with my sperm after all. So killing them must be fine. Because creating something removes all sense of morality and decency?

I would have to ask how could an all good God be capable of such a wicked thing? Is it not a contradiction? Do we equate the woman who murdered her 3 kids by drowning them with a loving mother? Where do our standards come from if God is capable of evil? Certainly not from him.

Is it God doing the evil or is it God allowing Satan to do evil under His supervision? Think of the Book of Job and how Satan operated in that Book.

JustAsking

Educational Use Only

One would expect and all knowing, all compassionate, all loving god to make sure _every_ _single_ one of us finds their way. The opposite of that god would allow _any_ person to be tortured for eternity.

truseeker

God gives everyone a chance to follow His rules and those who refuse will be permanently destroyed for their own good and the good of all the others who are willing to follow HIM.

JustAsking

Educational Use Only
God gives everyone a chance to follow His rules and those who refuse will be permanently destroyed for their own good and the good of all the others who are willing to follow HIM.

That's so utterly disturbing..

"Follow me or rot in hell for eternity for all I care!"

Not someone I would follow.. on principle alone.

strikeviperMKII

What do you think?

So who created heaven and hell? You just said God didn't...and there's only one other factor in this equation that can create something like this...

Midnight Pete

One would expect and all knowing, all compassionate, all loving god to make sure _every_ _single_ one of us finds their way. The opposite of that god would allow _any_ person to be tortured for eternity.

But God won't save anyone against their will. If you're on the road to perdition, God won't force a course-correction in your life so that you avoid eternal damnation.

The problem is choice.

JustAsking

Educational Use Only
But God won't save anyone against their will. If you're on the road to perdition, God won't force a course-correction in your life so that you avoid eternal damnation.

The problem is choice.

How convenient.

So does god ever intervene? I'm guessing the answer is yes. If so, it's seems awful callous to not help those in the most need.

Actually callous isn't the right word. Callous would be to laugh at a misfortune. Condemning a lost soul to eternal damnation? That's a special kind of hate.

ButTheCatCameBack

Wasn't it a greek who made some famous statement about is holy simply what the gods call holy, or an objective trait that the gods simply recognize.

if it is the former then what is holy is simply arbitrary. If it is the latter than either humanity possess the same capability and does not need the gods to recognize such a thing. Or mankind cannot but the gods can and the gods can arbitrarily call whatever they wish holy.

Likewise. If the Christian God is omniscient. It has only itself to blame(and blame would be a weird term to use for what was intentional) for the imperfection of humanity. And I use the word perfection loosely since I think it's a useless term really. But for arguments sake I'll keep using it.

If God is simply omnipotent but by nature cannot by omniscient it's simply a really powerful thing. With no real capacity to dictate morality any better than humans are.

Either way. To punish the finite infinitely for what seems to be it's own fault is monstrous.

Midnight Pete

How convenient.

So does god ever intervene? I'm guessing the answer is yes. If so, it's seems awful callous to not help those in the most need.

Actually callous isn't the right word. Callous would be to laugh at a misfortune. Condemning a lost soul to eternal damnation? That's a special kind of hate.

Jesus never gives up trying to reach us.

"...Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me..."

--Revelation 3:20