• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is not a man

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man...nor a son of man.
1 Samuel 15:29 for he is not a man
Hosea 11:9 I am God and not a man
Job 9:32 For he is not a man

So four times, FOUR, the Tanakh repeats the same teaching. Wouldn't you think that makes it rather important?
I think it is very important!

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
A Christian who believes Jesus was God as a human may argue that he had not been human or the son of humans yet at that point.
The standard orthodoxy of Christianity is that Jesus is "fully God and fully man." IOW he is not God with the illusion of a man's body, or a man husk with God's spirit inside, or part God and part man. Just fully God and fully man.

That doesn't mean every Christian believes this. For example, I have talked to Christians online who are more into the man husk idea. And there are one Christian denomination, Jehovah's Witnesses, that teaches otherwise (and that is why most Christians say it is not a Christian church).

And me? Well, of course, being a Jew, I don't think any man is God. Not Jesus, not Caesar, not David Koresh, no one.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

So four times, FOUR, the Tanakh repeats the same teaching. Wouldn't you think that makes it rather important?
It isn't repetition within the same book or same chapter. There is some trouble with just leaving this as is. Numbers 23 is a quote from Baalam (a shady character), and there are instances in various books in which humans are called gods. 1 Samuel is a story about a king who may not even be real. Hosea might have been by Ezra the scribe. Job is plainly a poem that people take a little too literally.

If two people think its important for different reasons, then what is important to one is not important to the other. Its words on paper. Some perceive it is of political import: such as the founders of USA. Some perceive that pleasing God by believing the correct things is most important: such as muslims and fundamentalist christians and many catholics Some think its impossible to determine what is meant by it: such as gnostics and mystics. Some think it has a secret meaning: such as masons. Some think the import is that everything written in scripture must automatically be correct: such as JW's. So on and so forth. The importance is perceived differently by different people. Therefore it has no universal agreed upon importance.

What if all copies of scripture disappear someday? Will it matter then that God is not human and to whom. Will it be obvious to anyone?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
It isn't repetition within the same book or same chapter. There is some trouble with just leaving this as is. Numbers 23 is a quote from Baalam (a shady character), and there are instances in various books in which humans are called gods. 1 Samuel is a story about a king who may not even be real. Hosea might have been by Ezra the scribe. Job is plainly a poem that people take a little too literally.

If two people think its important for different reasons, then what is important to one is not important to the other. Its words on paper. Some perceive it is of political import: such as the founders of USA. Some perceive that pleasing God by believing the correct things is most important: such as muslims and fundamentalist christians and many catholics Some think its impossible to determine what is meant by it: such as gnostics and mystics. Some think it has a secret meaning: such as masons. Some think the import is that everything written in scripture must automatically be correct: such as JW's. So on and so forth. The importance is perceived differently by different people. Therefore it has no universal agreed upon importance.

What if all copies of scripture disappear someday? Will it matter then that God is not human and to whom. Will it be obvious to anyone?
God has already set a plan for such a situation: He has proposed that it can never happen.

Sure, there will be a ‘Famine’ of the word of God… it would not be the first time in history… and history has shown that God’s word will be revived … So do not worry… Just don’t be one of those who sought to destroy the word of God!!!

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

No, God is not human.

Most of the problem arises around the allegation that [he] made humans in [his] own image ─ and of course no one knows quite what that means.

jimb

Premium Member
Absolutely you misunderstand.

Read the post again and understand that I am setting out WHAT TRINITY SAYS against the reality.

EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM knows (or should know) by now that I am FIERCELY non-trinitarian and not a believer in the fallacy that Jesus is God.

Jesus is God. It is a fallacy in your mind.

John 14:9, "Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? "

Soapy

John 14:9, "Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? "
Are you saying that Jesus is the Father!!!?

So Jesus prayed to himself saying, ‘Abba…’? (‘Abba’, a sacred term pertaining to the greatest adoration (Equivalent to Worship) of a Father) - Jesus worshipped himself?

And, ‘Father…. This means eternal life that they should believe in you, the only true God…’

jimb

Premium Member
Are you saying that Jesus is the Father!!!?

So Jesus prayed to himself saying, ‘Abba…’? (‘Abba’, a sacred term pertaining to the greatest adoration (Equivalent to Worship) of a Father) - Jesus worshipped himself?

And, ‘Father…. This means eternal life that they should believe in you, the only true God…’

Did I say that Jesus is the Father? Of course He isn't.

That obviously contradicts your absurd (sarcastic?) comments that "Jesus prayed to himself" and "Jesus worshiped Himself".

But... John 14:9, "Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Jesus had/has the full essence of character of God in His person, so if anyone had "eyes to see", s/he would know that Jesus was (and is) fully divine.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

Because he carried God's will in his heart!
John 6:39 "...and this is the will of Him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that He has given me, but raise it up at the last day." Matthew 6:10 "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven,"

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

Screenshot_20240127_123245_Facebook.jpg

Soapy

Did I say that Jesus is the Father? Of course He isn't.
You said by quoting Jesus saying: ‘I and the Father are one’… by implication of your ideology - which is why you posted THAT VERSE!!! But, now you see where it got you, you claim that it isn’t what you said… oh boy!!!
That obviously contradicts your absurd (sarcastic?) comments that "Jesus prayed to himself" and "Jesus worshiped Himself".
Of course it’s absurd - that’s my point… Jesus is not God because God is the Father, and He alone is the one true God… even Jesus said it:
  • ‘[Father]… This means eternal life that they come to know You, THE ONLY TRUE GOD…’
How do you then say that Jesus is God, and that Jesus and the Father are one (person! - GOD?) without saying that Jesus is the Father??

Do you deny that God is the Father?

But... John 14:9, "Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
There you go again…
Jesus had/has the full essence of character of God in His person, so if anyone had "eyes to see", s/he would know that Jesus was (and is) fully divine.
It seems you have got your ideology mixed up and are desperately trying to ‘recover’ your dignity of belief.

Can I say that your line of argument is a very well worn path… if you think you are the first to clsim this deceptive line of (mis-)reasoning then you will be sadly wrong.

Jesus simply (PLAINLY) meant that he and the Father are ONE IN ACCORD - not ONE PERSON!!! The same wires could just, if not better, be said as:
  • ‘If you believe in me then you must also believe in him who sent me’ (John 12:44 paraphrased)
Oh! Of course, Jesus DID say those words… which even you accept. And, those words show that Jesus and the Father are NOT the same person (God) since GOD SENT JESUS… and GOD is NEVER SENT anywhere!!

jimb

Premium Member
You said by quoting Jesus saying: ‘I and the Father are one’… by implication of your ideology - which is why you posted THAT VERSE!!! But, now you see where it got you, you claim that it isn’t what you said… oh boy!!!

Of course it’s absurd - that’s my point… Jesus is not God because God is the Father, and He alone is the one true God… even Jesus said it:
  • ‘[Father]… This means eternal life that they come to know You, THE ONLY TRUE GOD…’
How do you then say that Jesus is God, and that Jesus and the Father are one (person! - GOD?) without saying that Jesus is the Father??

Do you deny that God is the Father?

There you go again…

It seems you have got your ideology mixed up and are desperately trying to ‘recover’ your dignity of belief.

Can I say that your line of argument is a very well worn path… if you think you are the first to clsim this deceptive line of (mis-)reasoning then you will be sadly wrong.

Jesus simply (PLAINLY) meant that he and the Father are ONE IN ACCORD - not ONE PERSON!!! The same wires could just, if not better, be said as:
  • ‘If you believe in me then you must also believe in him who sent me’ (John 12:44 paraphrased)
Oh! Of course, Jesus DID say those words… which even you accept. And, those words show that Jesus and the Father are NOT the same person (God) since GOD SENT JESUS… and GOD is NEVER SENT anywhere!!

It is obvious that you are unable to understand what is written in the Bible. Why? See my signature (below)...

Soapy

It is obvious that you are unable to understand what is written in the Bible. Why? See my signature (below)...
You’ve said enough… or rather, you’ve said nothing, to show that you don’t know what you are talking about.

What you have done is to show your lack of ability to answer questions set to you and to not understand the fallacies that you present.

But I know that this is how you would answer already since all Trinitarians behave the same way no matter which of the false paths they take
- and you’re no different.

It’s quite simple: Jesus is not God, nor a God. Jesus is a man, consecrated by God, to preach the good news to the nations, and to die after living a sinless life but to take the sins of Adam with him to the grave in order to conquer death and sin.

Glory, Praise, and honour to God and His Christ…

But Worship is to God, ALONE: ‘Father…, this means eternal life, that they should come to know YOU, THE ONLY TRUE GOD…’

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
Numbers 23
"God is not a man, that He should lie; neither the son of man, that He should repent:
when He hath said, will He not do it? or when He hath spoken, will He not make it good?"

You seem to quote verses partly, why?

Why is the role of 'neighter' before 'the son of man' ?
What does it emphasyze?

Articles are used before nouns or noun equivalents and are a type of adjective. The definite article (the) is used before a noun to indicate that the identity of the noun is known to the reader. The indefinite article (a, an) is used before a noun that is general or when its identity is not known.
A/an and the are articles. They are a type of determiner and they go before a noun. A/an before a noun shows that what is referred to is not already known to the speaker, listener, writer and/or reader (it is the indefinite article):

1 Samuel 15:29
'And also the Glory of Israel will not lie nor repent; for He is not a man, that He should repent.'

So this again , rises the question , what does the word 'neighter' mean in Numbers 23?

Hosea 11
'I will not execute the fierceness of Mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim; for I am God, and not man, the Holy One in the midst of thee; and I will not come in fury.'

And see , what one 'a' can do.
The saying 'I am God,and not man' puts emphasys on the mind of the presented essence , not on the nature of the essence.
That is if you read what is previously stated...

In Job 38:1-2'The Lord' speaks to Job for the first time

"Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:
Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?"

Are you sure that you quote the Tanakh , and not parts of the verses?

Last edited:

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
A man with super-powers of creating universes?
..sounds like something out of a comic, to me. ;)
So that means that Mohhamad did not split the moon?

God made man in His Image .. so which came first, "the chicken or the egg"?
Q S7 : V 11-12

"It is We who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the angels bow down to Adam and they bowed down; not so Iblis; he refused to be of those who bow down.
(God) said: 'what prevented thee from bowing down when I commanded thee'? He said: 'I am better than he: thou didst create me from fire and him from clay'."

Same Chapter Verse 18
(God) said: 'Get out from this disgraced and expelled. If any of them follow thee hell will I fill with you all'.

This verses in the Quran are very interesting :)
Especially the bowing.