• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God = good?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Why do so many people insist that being good is one of God's main characteristics?

And not just good - actually omni-benevolent

Where exactly does this notion come from????

I'd like to know :cool:

As far as I'm aware it is unbiblical

In my personal theology God is not omni-benevolent

However, I think Jesus is the most benevolent being in existence and has huge depths of compassion

I just don't buy into the notion that God as a whole is extra super good

And I see no reason to do so, what with all the suffering that's evident in this world

So, basically, I don't see God as being perfect. But that's OK, I don't see any human as being perfect either.....

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
In my religious tradition God is known to be change, and not all change is obviously good. However, even more than that, change is known to be infinite. It continues forever. I see God as something that forever changes, sometimes for good and sometimes for bad. But it’s always there as we develop the Synverse, or the created place, and places have a knack for either being developed or deteriorating. Look at Gary, Indiana for example. However, for every community that deteriorates, there are two or three places that get developed. Two steps forward, one step back. That’s how I understand things. With proper upkeep we can create Heaven on Earth. But it is up to us to do this, and instead of looking towards a powerless God to do things, we need to look deep inside ourselves for real change. We shape reality and ultimately God creates itself every single day. It is up to us whether we create Heaven or Hell on Earth. We have been shaping our reality now for thousands of years without a Universe or Omniverse king to do it for us, so why stop now? People are the strongest force in the world and ultimately we’re the ones shaping God as seeds of Earth. And one day we may find ways to transverse this large Universe, one star system at a time, creating little bits of Heaven and life here and there in the meantime. I look forward towards it.

Why do so many people insist that being good is one of God's main characteristics?

And not just good - actually omni-benevolent
By what I see, good, evil and bad are just subjective opinions. However, the reason why I think God is omnibenevolent is for example this:

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

God does good to all, and He doesn't do anything evil.