• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God gives you freedom, and then forces you to do as He Commands.--?? Incompatible.

Greatest I am

God gives you freedom, and then forces you to do as He Commands.--?? Incompatible.

When man was given freedom and free choice, he rejoiced. Then God gave His commandments with the threat of punishment if His commandments and laws are not followed. These two concepts are incompatible. God gives up His -right- to command and then threatens those who do not follow His commands.

Debate-
Which is it? Are we free or are we slaves?

Regards
DL

Scott C.

Just one guy

When man was given freedom and free choice, he rejoiced. Then God gave His commandments with the threat of punishment if His commandments and laws are not followed. These two concepts are incompatible. God gives up His -right- to command and then threatens those who do not follow His commands.

Debate-

Regards
DL

You misunderstand free will. When God gives us free will, he does not give up the need to give us commandments, nor the need to impose consequences. Here's a simple example. I have the free will to jump out the window of the hotel I'm staying in tonight. I can jump or I can not jump. I am not free, however, to decide on what will happen to me when I hit the ground, should I decide to jump. If I jump, I will be subject to the law of gravity and other cause and effect. Does this imply I have no free will to jump or not to jump? No, it does not.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I agree with Scott...

The only problem I have is the punishment is for eternity..We have a few short years here...And if we dont do it right...then our soul in forever seperated from God..

Isnt that like telling my child that if he disobeys me I'll never speak to him again?

Love

Dallas

Scott C.

Just one guy
I agree with Scott...

The only problem I have is the punishment is for eternity..We have a few short years here...And if we dont do it right...then our soul in forever seperated from God..

Isnt that like telling my child that if he disobeys me I'll never speak to him again?

Love

Dallas

No, I don't think it would be fair to never speak to a child again. The Book of Mormon teaches that when we die, we will all recognize that the judgements of God are just. I like that teaching. We don't need to fear unjust treatment. God is just and merciful. When we come before our Maker, we'll recognize that. It will all be clear. That's what I believe.

Greatest I am

No, I don't think it would be fair to never speak to a child again. The Book of Mormon teaches that when we die, we will all recognize that the judgements of God are just. I like that teaching. We don't need to fear unjust treatment. God is just and merciful. When we come before our Maker, we'll recognize that. It will all be clear. That's what I believe.

Is it justice that a small sinner like you and I can only sin for 120 yrs and then spend 12000000000000000000000yrs in hell with the likes of Hitler?

Does not look fair to me.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

You misunderstand free will. When God gives us free will, he does not give up the need to give us commandments, nor the need to impose consequences. Here's a simple example. I have the free will to jump out the window of the hotel I'm staying in tonight. I can jump or I can not jump. I am not free, however, to decide on what will happen to me when I hit the ground, should I decide to jump. If I jump, I will be subject to the law of gravity and other cause and effect. Does this imply I have no free will to jump or not to jump? No, it does not.

Then we are only free to follow the rules. Sounds strange to me.
In other words we are slaves.

Regards
DL

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
You have the freedom to either obey or disobey God's commandments. And if an individual doesn't believe in God or the punishments for sin...what's the problem?

madcap

Eternal Optimist

Well, clearly God doesn't force anyone to do as he commands. If he did, it wouldn't be possible to break the commandments, would it?

It is standard procedure for religions to establish some kind of moral code. For the ancient Hebrews, the Ten Commandments set some pretty sensible ground rules. To break them probably had more civil implications than eternal implications (because to the best of my understanding, Jews don't believe in hell).

I do wonder, though, if there's a penalty for not doing what the universe wants me to do, and if that penalty is suffering. I won't speak for everyone, but there have been times when I've felt strongly that I was in the wrong place, doing the wrong things with my life (not illegal or immoral; just, you know, having a job I didn't enjoy, etc.). Sometimes I feel like I'm being encouraged to make changes, and that when I ignore or reject that encouragement -- which I usually do -- then I just find myself feeling worse until I finally make some kind of change in the direction I was being guided.

That's not Ten Commandments and it's not the explicit commands of God -- but it's something.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

How has God forced us to obey Him? Obviously, a lot of people don't. What you seem to think is that "free will" is synonymous with "without any consequences." How did you come up with that interpretation?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Is it justice that a small sinner like you and I can only sin for 120 yrs and then spend 12000000000000000000000yrs in hell with the likes of Hitler?

Does not look fair to me.
It doesn't look fair to me either. Maybe that's why I don't believe it, and why my religion doesn't teach it.

Greatest I am

You have the freedom to either obey or disobey God's commandments. And if an individual doesn't believe in God or the punishments for sin...what's the problem?

None for me or my God. We all end with Him. That Christian God is the one with a hell.

I am an unrepentant sinner and I have no worries.

i just thought it strange that the Christian God would give freedom and then start giving commandments instead of requests to His free men.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Well, clearly God doesn't force anyone to do as he commands. If he did, it wouldn't be possible to break the commandments, would it?

It is standard procedure for religions to establish some kind of moral code. For the ancient Hebrews, the Ten Commandments set some pretty sensible ground rules. To break them probably had more civil implications than eternal implications (because to the best of my understanding, Jews don't believe in hell).

I do wonder, though, if there's a penalty for not doing what the universe wants me to do, and if that penalty is suffering. I won't speak for everyone, but there have been times when I've felt strongly that I was in the wrong place, doing the wrong things with my life (not illegal or immoral; just, you know, having a job I didn't enjoy, etc.). Sometimes I feel like I'm being encouraged to make changes, and that when I ignore or reject that encouragement -- which I usually do -- then I just find myself feeling worse until I finally make some kind of change in the direction I was being guided.

That's not Ten Commandments and it's not the explicit commands of God -- but it's something.

Your right all commandments can be broken. To me though if God gives freedom then He also gives up the right to punish.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

How has God forced us to obey Him? Obviously, a lot of people don't. What you seem to think is that "free will" is synonymous with "without any consequences." How did you come up with that interpretation?

To me, if God gives freedom then He also gives up the right to punish.

When my children left home i gave them freedom. If they no longer make their bed, I have no right to punish them.

Works for me so it should work for God. We are much alike.

Regards
DL

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Debate-

Regards
DL

Uhh...becuase none of it is true....

There are no gods....:rolleyes: