• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God And Satan: Are They Doing A Good Job?

cardero

Citizen Mod
I know that both of these persons do not work specifically for one human but they both are supposed to share a direct influence in our lives.

GOD-This BEing is supposed to stand for Love and Truth for mankind. Do you feel that this BEing expresses an active interest in our lives?

SATAN-This BEing is a liar and a slanderer with the ability to turn people away from GOD and His teachings. Do you feel that this BEing is doing a sufficient job or could Satan do better?

Dark_Waltz

There is good and evil in all of us, Truth is how do we keep count of which we have the most of ?
But when I look at this from a Christian Perspective How do we know who is putting us in our place better?
Who is keeping count?
Hehe I have visions of people shouting come on satan do yer worst! :p

Beck63Don

Some stupid Christians invented Satan to explain why they themselves have evil tendencies. If Christians didn't have evil tendencies, they wouldn't have had to invent Satan to explain those tendencies. Paganism has no Satan, and doesn't need one.

A

angellous_evangellous

Lady Moon said:
Some stupid Christians invented Satan to explain why they themselves have evil tendencies. If Christians didn't have evil tendencies, they wouldn't have had to invent Satan to explain those tendencies. Paganism has no Satan, and doesn't need one.
The concept of Satan pre-dates Christianity.

Dark_Waltz

Lady Moon said:
Not everyone is pagan and even if they were there would still be darkness.
Theres a darkness in everyone Christianity just personify it because they fear the darkness

A

angellous_evangellous

cardero said:
I know that both of these persons do not work specifically for one human but they both are supposed to share a direct influence in our lives.

GOD-This BEing is supposed to stand for Love and Truth for mankind. Do you feel that this BEing expresses an active interest in our lives?

SATAN-This BEing is a liar and a slanderer with the ability to turn people away from GOD and His teachings. Do you feel that this BEing is doing a sufficient job or could Satan do better?
Both are doing their jobs nicely. It seems to me that they are both rather sublte, and it is the most effective way to work.

From the Christian POV, we need faith to relate to God, who is divine. If God were not subtle in His work, we would not need to have faith. As it is, God is everywhere present yet unattainable, so those who believe in God must trust in Her Goodness by faith alone. It is by faith that we interpret events and even "answered" prayers as acts of God.

On the other hand, if we actually knew how evil Satan is, then none of us would fall for anything that Satan plans. In other words, if we could identify evil, no sane person would willingly instigate their own destruction.

I'll give you an example from my life this week...

I am a PhD student in New Testament at a University. Last Tuesday a theif broke into my truck and stole $3000 worth of University library books. I was devestated because I have no money to replace the University's books, not to mention several of my own books were taken. The police officer asked me how this would affect my studies, and I told him that most likely I would have to sit out for a few semesters to pay the fines, and I would lose my full scholarship and most likely would have to drop out of school completely.

The police officer said that since we live in such a large city that it would be a miracle if they found the books. He said that he was a Christian and asked if he could pray with me. I said sure, knowing that I did not have enough faith - all I could see was how bad it was for me.

The next day a businessman called the University saying that he had found the books. The books had been tossed over a fence. They had not been damaged at all... On top of everything, I had a huge paper due that week, and I was able to finish.

It is by faith that we believe that God answered the prayer of the police officer. We can easily explain it as a coincidence. God didn't put on his superman cape, say "Here I am. I'm God, I'll find those books!" We prayed, and we believe by faith that God did his work.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Personally between the Christian God and the Christian Satan, I'm pulling for Satan. That cat is all about freedom man. :) I don't think either are doing a very good job though. Life and the folk living it are pretty much in the same place today as they were 6,000 years ago. Not much in the way of humanity has changed, though it's appearence often does.

may

We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one......... 1 John 5;19

For his part, the God who gives peace will crush Satan under YOUR feet shortly. May the undeserved kindness of our Lord Jesus be with YOU.......... Romans 16;20 i would say they are both doing what they want to do , but in the end God will win

john63

titmouse
Lady Moon said:
Now that's not nice. I think we're all big enough here to refrain from calling one another "stupid".

Speaking of Paganism, I wish the Pagans in here would specify what type of pagan they are. Paganism is a blanket term covering many, many different beliefs.

ladylazarus

If the worst thing Satan did to us was makes us eat from the tree of KNOWLEDGE, I really don't mind.

Satan and God are excuses used by infantile, weak-minded people who are too pathetic to find meaning in their own lives.

SoyLeche

meh...
ladylazarus said:
If the worst thing Satan did to us was makes us eat from the tree of KNOWLEDGE, I really don't mind.

Satan and God are excuses used by infantile, weak-minded people who are too pathetic to find meaning in their own lives.
We love you too :bounce

A

angellous_evangellous

ladylazarus said:

That is a fairly intolerant, bigoted statement.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
to me The satan works for G-d, tempting us, so that we may have a chance to rise above and be better people and improve our own world.

After all he's just playing on desires and inclinations we already have.

A

angellous_evangellous

ladylazarus said:

You are referring here to the Genesis story, where Satan tempted humans to disobey God and eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. According to the story, humans only knew goodness from God in a Garden. Only after they disobey God did they gain the knowledge of evil. This type of knowledge is relational, not wisdom or knowing facts.

The point of the story is not that knowledge is evil. The moral of the story is that destruction comes from rebellion, and this relationship with evil, this "knowledge" that is our bane, is the result of our continued rebellion against the goodness of God. If we didn't rebel against God, we would only have "knowlege" of the good.

john63

titmouse
ladylazarus said:

84% of the worlds population profess some sort of belief in a God or Gods and/or Satan or an equivalent. Of the 16% that say they don't believe, half are "thiestic" but not religious.

So what you just said, Ladylazarus, is 92% of the worlds population are infantile, weak minded, pathetic people.

Geez, you must feel honored to be a part of the 8% of mature, intelligent people. Congradulations!!:clap

A

angellous_evangellous

john63 said:
84% of the worlds population profess some sort of belief in a God or Gods and/or Satan or an equivalent. Of the 16% that say they don't believe, half are "thiestic" but not religious.

So what you just said, Ladylazarus, is 92% of the worlds population are infantile, weak minded, pathetic people.

Geez, you must feel honored to be a part of the 8% of mature, intelligent people. Congradulations!!:clap
As much as I like this post, how the heck did you get these numbers. There are quite a bit of people alive that could not have possibly been asked. What about all those agnostic/athesistic Buddists?

Dark_Waltz

Speaking of Paganism, I wish the Pagans in here would specify what type of pagan they are. Paganism is a blanket term covering many, many different beliefs.
I don't know what I would call it, I am a wiccan with witch leanings what can I say I will let you know when I find out for sure:D

john63

titmouse
Dark_Waltz said:
I don't know what I would call it, I am a wiccan with witch leanings what can I say I will let you know when I find out for sure:D
I would like to learn more about Wicca. Can you suggest any good books?

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
angellous_evangellous said:
You are referring here to the Genesis story, where Satan tempted humans to disobey God and eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. According to the story, humans only knew goodness from God in a Garden. Only after they disobey God did they gain the knowledge of evil. This type of knowledge is relational, not wisdom or knowing facts.

The point of the story is not that knowledge is evil. The moral of the story is that destruction comes from rebellion, and this relationship with evil, this "knowledge" that is our bane, is the result of our continued rebellion against the goodness of God. If we didn't rebel against God, we would only have "knowlege" of the good.
And this line of thinking leads to Christian leaders having a nice herd of sheep to lead. After all, Christianity has demonstrated itself so well to tolerate rebellion, right?