• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go Forth In Peace

Bishka

Veteran Member
Go forth into the world in peace. Be of good courage. Hold fast to that which is good. Render to no one evil for evil. Strengthen the fainthearted. Support the weak. Comfort the afflicted. Be patient with all but make no peace with oppression. Love and serve the Lord, rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit. And the blessing of God Almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit be among you and remain with you always.

marc_andrus_sm.jpg

(A Prayer from The Rt. Rev. Marc Handley Andrus,
Bishop of the Diocese of California; the prayer from his investiture)

Reposted from the Grace Cathedral Homepage

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Becky:

If this is related to your other thread:

This prayer is the standard (in form, although he uses a different text) sending-forth prayer, ending with the standard benediction -- "and the blessing of God Almighty..." The Episcopal Church ends each Eucharist with a sending-forth prayer and benediction. This particular prayer was the one he must have used at the Eucharist celebrating his investiture as bishop of the diocese of Ca. It is special, only in that it was used at this particular service.

CDRaider

Yeah, its very similar to the lutheran close to the service

but it always ends with "go in peace, serve the lord" then the congregation says "thanks be to God" (thats the only part i have memorized)

sojourner

That comes after the benediction in the Episcopal Church.

BTW, is your church ELCA?

CDRaider

sojourner said:
That comes after the benediction in the Episcopal Church.

BTW, is your church ELCA?

I think there are only two sects right??? Thats right I think because I know its not Missouri Senate.

I haven't been in a spell

Bishka

Veteran Member
sojourner said:
Becky:

If this is related to your other thread:

No, not entirely, I thought it was a nice prayer, so I decided to post it in the episcopalian section, is that alright?

sojourner

CDRaider said:
I think there are only two sects right??? Thats right I think because I know its not Missouri Senate.

I haven't been in a spell

Well...there are more than two. Missouri Synod used to be the largest. when most of the others combined to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), that body became the largest Lutheran body. There are still several smaller synods that remain separate. Wisconsin Synod is one.

The reason I asked is because ELCA worship is very close to Episcopal worship -- in fact those two churches now enjoy full intercommunion, if I'm not mistaken.

CDRaider

sojourner said:
Well...there are more than two. Missouri Synod used to be the largest. when most of the others combined to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), that body became the largest Lutheran body. There are still several smaller synods that remain separate. Wisconsin Synod is one.

The reason I asked is because ELCA worship is very close to Episcopal worship -- in fact those two churches now enjoy full intercommunion, if I'm not mistaken.

I double checked last night and thats what we are... like I said, I hadn't been in a spell.

But we are sister churches with a methodist church