• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnats... round 2

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
At least I think they're gnats. Or fruit flies. I really can't tell the difference they're small as heck.

I've cleaned the dishes, mopped the floor. They still hover around my kitchen, a bunch of them. A lot of times I find them in my trash so I've been taking that out more regularly (I also have febreeze scented trash bags). I think the major thing is that it's very hot outside and they find their way in for the coolness. I don't think there's much that's ridiculously dirty in my house, and I can't keep my house spotless 24/7 so I suppose they'll always find something. They are quick to fly around me when I have food in front of me, so I'm hoping that's a sign they're starving.

It's honestly disgusting. I don't know what you'd consider a swarm of them, but I know there's at least a few floating around the house. I've killed a few of them, seen at least three more since then, there's likely more.

The Sum of Awe

I think I'll consider fumigating after this heat wave passes. Hopefully that takes care of them.

The Sum of Awe

I'd say to be careful with bananas. They seem to really love them.
I have started eating bananas lately. But they were coming in before that (but I really craved bananas so I couldn't resist). I've been double bagging them, and so far I've never caught a gnat inside the bags or on the bananas, so that must be a good sign. I try to throw banana peels in the outside trash as much as possible.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
At least I think they're gnats. Or fruit flies. I really can't tell the difference they're small as heck.

I've cleaned the dishes, mopped the floor. They still hover around my kitchen, a bunch of them. A lot of times I find them in my trash so I've been taking that out more regularly (I also have febreeze scented trash bags). I think the major thing is that it's very hot outside and they find their way in for the coolness. I don't think there's much that's ridiculously dirty in my house, and I can't keep my house spotless 24/7 so I suppose they'll always find something. They are quick to fly around me when I have food in front of me, so I'm hoping that's a sign they're starving.

It's honestly disgusting. I don't know what you'd consider a swarm of them, but I know there's at least a few floating around the house. I've killed a few of them, seen at least three more since then, there's likely more.
Gnats is a common name that is sort of a catch all for any very small, flying insect. Actual gnats are very small flies in several families of Diptera. They can be biting or not. Fruit fly is another common name applied to flies that are found around fruits and vegetables, especially those that are getting very ripe, past peak or actually rotting.

It sounds like you are using good hygiene practices which is probably the best way to approach controlling them.

Sometimes gnats get in the house with potted plants. They will go through the life cycle in the soil of the pot and adults will emerge as long as there is warmth and moisture in the soil.

If it is little moth-like flies around the sink, tub and shower drains, then get out of the house immediately. No. Just kidding. These are moth flies and the larvae can exist in the water of the drain trap. They can be a nuisance, but usually aren't a serious problem.

I don't know that you need to go to the extreme of fumigation. Just keep things clean like you are. Vacuum them up if you can. Keep fruits and vegetables in containers or wrap. Just general good hygiene practices are often sufficient.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
did you try the apple-cider-vinegar traps? I think I mentioned them in the other thread you posted about this?

otherwise... exorcists.. a team. a team of expert exorcists with elephants...

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
did you try the apple-cider-vinegar traps? I think I mentioned them in the other thread you posted about this?

You know you have an elephant infestation when there are cannonballs all over your livingroom.

The Sum of Awe

I don't have any apple cider on hand. I'll try this out though. Cheaper than buying fumigators and don't have to worry about covering everything up/opening windows/etc. I've tried it with vinegar and dawn dish soap though, with a banana peel inside, didn't collect anything. (I just kinda pulled that outta my butt, no wonder it didn't work)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I don't have any apple cider on hand. I'll try this out though. Cheaper than buying fumigators and don't have to worry about covering everything up/opening windows/etc. I've tried it with vinegar and dawn dish soap though, with a banana peel inside, didn't collect anything. (I just kinda pulled that outta my butt, no wonder it didn't work)

It's not too expensive. mason jars. and cheap apple cider vinegar, you can probably get a gallon-ish for 5 bucks.

Fill the mason jar about a half inch, just that much. Then screw on the lid with the insert so the jar is sealed. Then take a steak knife ( or even a butter knife might work ), and make a slim incision in the lid. It's really soft aluminum.

So, when you're finished, there's a shallow half inch pool of cider at the bottom, and a slit in the lid of the jar. That's it. You want the pool of cider low, so the little buggers can't easily fly back out. Make, I don't know, 3 of them. And spread them out where ever you're seeing them buzz around. Hopefully in a week you'll see an improvement. Keep them in the same spot so the bugs will know where to go. The last time we had an infestation it took about a month and they were all gone. Haven't had them since. It's been years.

You don't need to empty it, or anything, just maybe move them if you're having guests.

The Sum of Awe

It's not too expensive. mason jars. and cheap apple cider vinegar, you can probably get a gallon-ish for 5 bucks.

Fill the mason jar about a half inch, just that much. Then screw on the lid with the insert so the jar is sealed. Then take a steak knife ( or even a butter knife might work ), and make a slim incision in the lid. It's really soft aluminum.

So, when you're finished, there's a shallow half inch pool of cider at the bottom, and a slit in the lid of the jar. That's it. You want the pool of cider low, so the little buggers can't easily fly back out. Make, I don't know, 3 of them. And spread them out where ever you're seeing them buzz around. Hopefully in a week you'll see an improvement. Keep them in the same spot so the bugs will know where to go. The last time we had an infestation it took about a month and they were all gone. Haven't had them since. It's been years.

You don't need to empty it, or anything, just maybe move them if you're having guests.
Thanks!

Are you saying you still have the same mason jars of apple cider vinegar all these years?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Thanks!

Are you saying you still have the same mason jars of apple cider vinegar all these years?

no, we got rid of them eventually. but we did have them out for, probably, 6 months or more.

BTW, I just got back from the store. the mason jars are kind of expensive. They had a pack of 12 for $15. And the cider is $5 for a half gallon. So you'll be in it for $20 hoping it'll work. It worked for me, but, obviously I can't promise anything.

The Sum of Awe

no, we got rid of them eventually. but we did have them out for, probably, 6 months or more.

BTW, I just got back from the store. the mason jars are kind of expensive. They had a pack of 12 for $15. And the cider is $5 for a half gallon. So you'll be in it for $20 hoping it'll work. It worked for me, but, obviously I can't promise anything.
Alright so I did just that. I got a couple of mason jars, filled them maybe a 1/4 cup full of Apple Cider Vinegar, and put 3-4 knife holes in them with a butter knife. Is this all I have to do? I set one by my trash can and one in my bathroom.

Orbit

I'm a planet

Red wine, my friend. Put out a glass of red wine. They will drown themselves in it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Alright so I did just that. I got a couple of mason jars, filled them maybe a 1/4 cup full of Apple Cider Vinegar, and put 3-4 knife holes in them with a butter knife. Is this all I have to do? I set one by my trash can and one in my bathroom.

if you have extra lids, i would recommend 1 small slit. small. the problem is with the bugs escaping. If you don't have extra lids, some tin foil could be added under the lids, then poke just one slit open with knife.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't know if i posted this in your first thread so anyway...

Plastic pop bottle. Cut off the top just where it straightens out .

Add a little water and cut fruit or fruit syrup to the bottle and put the top into the bottle upsidedown

how-to-make-a-fly-trap-1389066-07-e2bee799b9ac4a0797ab350b5429eacd.jpg

Fly's etc can get in but have little chance to get back out.

sanderrobert

I use Dawn dish soap to get rid of gnats because it acts like a gnat trap and messes up the water's surface, so gnats can't fly away. You can pour it into small dishes or disposable cups for the job.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not so ethical perhaps, but I tend to use the sticky film traps one can attach to windows or an electrical one to use at night. Judging by the numbers of bodies on these both they seem to work - if not nice to look at. :eek:

The Sum of Awe

if you have extra lids, i would recommend 1 small slit. small. the problem is with the bugs escaping. If you don't have extra lids, some tin foil could be added under the lids, then poke just one slit open with knife.
I have done the traps you suggested, and I've caught a few in each already (I have two out). I see no more gnats flying around. Thanks!