• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GlobaliZation

St0ne

I'm planning quite a bit of travel in my lifetime and one of my greatest fears is that when I arrive in many of the places I wish to see it will not be that dissimilar to home. My government has over the last few years been promoting multiculturalism, the concept is admirable, I guess the eventual idea is that we can all accept each other for what we are and live peacefully side by side all around the globe, morally this seems like a good idea at first glance, we end up with a global community, a global culture, peace, the very thing man has been dreaming of for hundreds of years. But what of the cost? It really means that where ever you go in the world you would find the same things, diversity would be so diverse it culd no longer be called diverse, exotic cultures would hardly exist and be strongly diluted. Of course america is the main force behing globalisation in fact in Australian globalisation is more commonly called americanization often interchanging the s and z as a type of comedic example of it's effect, many cultural aspects around the world are being changed and we are losing more every day, at least I think if globalisation is going to continue it must be as sensative as possible to maintain world cultures.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Your predictions remind me a little of 'Brave New World' St0ne. :)

I don't think sensitive as possible is likely to happen. Do you?

kai

ragamuffin
i have traveled extensively in my life and i can say for sure that all countries have their own charactoristics, even the english speaking countiries are vastly different in cultural ways, theres so much variance in architecture, food,music ,dress, geography humans are such a diverse lot that i dont think you have to worry,

coberst

Globalization and the Human Condition

Globalized capital will drive globalized labor down to a globalized subsistence level.

What do you think?

Ciscokid

St0ne said:
I'm planning quite a bit of travel in my lifetime and one of my greatest fears is that when I arrive in many of the places I wish to see it will not be that dissimilar to home. My government has over the last few years been promoting multiculturalism, the concept is admirable, I guess the eventual idea is that we can all accept each other for what we are and live peacefully side by side all around the globe, morally this seems like a good idea at first glance, we end up with a global community, a global culture, peace, the very thing man has been dreaming of for hundreds of years. But what of the cost? It really means that where ever you go in the world you would find the same things, diversity would be so diverse it culd no longer be called diverse, exotic cultures would hardly exist and be strongly diluted. Of course america is the main force behing globalisation in fact in Australian globalisation is more commonly called americanization often interchanging the s and z as a type of comedic example of it's effect, many cultural aspects around the world are being changed and we are losing more every day, at least I think if globalisation is going to continue it must be as sensative as possible to maintain world cultures.

Global peace is a dream conceived by hippies. It doesn't exist and it probably never will. I have no problem with multiculturalism as long as borders are respected.

Global peace is a dream conceived by hippies.

Actually I have essays from the 19th century on world peace. On how war is pointless and againist ethical principles. The hippies bastardized it by having no real plan and bringing it to a large stage.

Culture will for the large part stay the same aesthetically, but intellectual accomplishments will reflect the times and the ideas of the times. From my experiences the differences in personalities and interaction are the really interesting things about different cultures. I don't think that will ever change.

Ðanisty

St0ne said:
In America we use the word Americanisation to basically mean we've taken something interesting and different and made it less interesting and different. I don't think you have much to fear about globalization if you're taking American into consideration. We're actually really, really bad at it. Most of what Americans consider cultured isn't really authentic at all.