• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glass candlestick holder shatters during spell work

Bret2140

As in, just sitting there, then shatters. Is that good, bad, something in between?

The spell was a healing spell.

sacredmeow

Light Seeker.
In my experience, I took it as a sign that other forces stopped that spell from working. A neutral. I'd put a lot of unhealthy energy into that spell and it was good that it was thwarted. Taking science into account, it could just be the candle burned really hot and the glass couldn't resist that energy any longer.

Since this is a healing spell, I would try again. Also, observe the candle during the burning. If the flame is dancing quite a bit, observe the direction the candle is blowing (make sure there isn't another air source blowing it). Does it pop? The flame will talk to you. If the glass broke and the candle started a fire, then I'd take that as an omen. :)

Regardless, if you don't already, I recommend keeping something flame-resistant under your candles in case this happens again. Never hurts to take a little extra precaution.

Bret2140

In my experience, I took it as a sign that other forces stopped that spell from working. A neutral. I'd put a lot of unhealthy energy into that spell and it was good that it was thwarted. Taking science into account, it could just be the candle burned really hot and the glass couldn't resist that energy any longer.

The candlestick holder broke, but the candle stayed as is from the wax that had melted around it. The glass around the base of the candle was just shattered. The spell seemed to work because the healing did take place.

What would you reccomend i sit the candle on. I have a homemade, makeshift alter made of cabinets with a hickory chest on top.

sacredmeow

Light Seeker.
I just get some of those candle plates which are reasonably inexpensive depending where you go. If you have a World Market in your area, I'd try there if you don't want to order online. :) I have non-altar-friendly cats, so I have to have safety precaution in case they get hyper/ADD. The shiny outweighs their memory of the "Argh! This burns my paw!" moments.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The candlestick holder broke, but the candle stayed as is from the wax that had melted around it. The glass around the base of the candle was just shattered. The spell seemed to work because the healing did take place.

What would you reccomend i sit the candle on. I have a homemade, makeshift alter made of cabinets with a hickory chest on top.

A question, just because I find this fascinating: shattered, as in broke in two, or shattered as in lots of little shards?

My experience has been that glass rarely breaks on its own (cats and children being favorite sources of breakage in my home); but except for really strong impacts (from tabletop to floor; thrown object, etc), "spontaneous" breakage doesn't make more than two pieces. Of course, I think I can count on one hand the number of experiences of that sort in my memory--a period of roughly 50 years...:D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, the candle was burning at the time? Glass candle holders have a limited heat stress tolerance, oddly enough. I wouldn't read anything into it. I've had votive holders shatter on me frequently - both because I have a bad habit of buying cheap glass candle holders and because I have a bad habit of using them improperly. There's a reason why I really, really like this kind of candle holder.

sacredmeow

Light Seeker.
I typically use those inexpensive star-shaped small pillar holders you can find at the new age stores. I burn different colored candles and those burn so neatly. If you all have any recommendations for more sturdy holders to use those (or other candles) with, please share :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The metal ones I linked to off amazon in the post above are an example. Metal holders can't shatter, but you have to watch how you set them because they'll absorb heat that can transfer to what you've set the holder on. I like the ones I linked to precisely because the eliminate that concern. I sometimes burn candles in my cast iron cauldron (well, it'd be more accurate to say I take a tea light and turn it into a conflagration), and when I do, I set it on top of a glass plate so I don't end up with scorch marks on my tables. :D

For most candle spellcraft, I'll use those 3-4" tapers. I have a crystal glass holder for them that has stood up very well, and I don't remember where I found it. I keep fearing it'll shatter like so many of my votive holders have, but it has yet to do so. For larger tapers, I have a ceramic holder I picked up at a botanic garden that looks like a flower. It hasn't exploded either, so it seems it was well-made. For generic candle lighting during ritual, I use tea lights inside a metal and glass holder that looks kind of like a lantern. The patterns on the glass cast interesting light effects along the walls, which is fun. For votives I have lately been using a ceramic leaf-shaped bowl-thingey. It lets the wax spread out more than I'd like, but it won't shatter on me precisely because it lets the wax spread out (it doesn't let it get so hot). I usually collect wax leavings to recycle into other candles, so the waste aspect doesn't bug me so much.

Bret2140

A question, just because I find this fascinating: shattered, as in broke in two, or shattered as in lots of little shards?

About 5 pieces. The flame wasnt close enough to the glass to get it hot enough to shatter.

But like I said, the spell came through for me. I think I'll take it as an omen that something supernatural took place.