• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giving God credit/blame for human actions

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper
It seems to me that the good in the world comes about through a human agent. For example, a homeless person gets fed because a stranger gives him money. Many people would praise God for that.
It also seems that evil in the world comes about through a human agent. For example, a person is mugged on the street. Many people only blame the mugger for the act.

My question is, if many people don't hold God accountable for evil that comes through a human action, why do they praise him for good that comes through a human action?

This question comes to my mind often when saying grace before eating. If we are thanking God for providing us food in times of plenty, then why isn't he responsible for not providing food in times of scarcity?

I am not questioning the existence of God. I think the question challenges either his omnipotence or his omnibenevolence.

:candle:
Crys

Smoke

Done here.
I always liked this line from Jane Smiley's The Greenlanders:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]Nevertheless, my intention is fixed, and soon Ragnhild will be thanking the mercy of the Lord, who moved my heart to send her these sheep. And so praise will rise up to Him who is fond of praise, but gives little in return for it.[/FONT]​

dagynfly,
Omnibenevolence, awsome word!
Good question you pose. We thank God for good things but don't hold him accountable for what is bad. I see you are a Satan worshipper, so it makes sence that you would ask this question. For many (not me however) all things bad, or evil are blamed on Satan. This is an example of shallow thinking, for anyone who believes that Satan is "Master of Evil" must also know that God created Satan. Based upon my own beliefs I cannot answer this question, but it is a good one.
Well done!!

imaginaryme

Agency in the form of (god, love, not-self) = example 1
Agency in the form of (satan, evil, self) = example 2

Simple, really. We ain't nuffink but a bunch of dumb monkeys, can't do nuffink right. Go, god! :D

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper
Agency in the form of (god, love, not-self) = example 1
Agency in the form of (satan, evil, self) = example 2

Simple, really. We ain't nuffink but a bunch of dumb monkeys, can't do nuffink right. Go, god! :D

I'm unsure of what you mean. Do you mean that God is responsible for the good that man does, and that Satan is responsible for the evil that man does?

Crys

imaginaryme

I'm unsure of what you mean. Do you mean that God is responsible for the good that man does, and that Satan is responsible for the evil that man does?

Crys
Not exactly; rather, that this seems to be the generalization often made. I, for one, often do stupid things when I get stupid; no god need apply. :D