• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting through tough times

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Wasn't sure where exactly to post this so move it if you want to ...

Hope you are all well and if not I wish you all the best for an improvement in your mood.

I found this phrase on a site and then plugged it into Google as I am fond of doing just out of curiosity.

This was the first psych site I found

Ignoring your emotions is “like trying to run away from something that’s right on your shoulder. The only way to truly be free is to stop and face your emotions,” said Hibbert, who also specializes in women’s mental health, postpartum issues and parenting.

Still, you might worry that your emotions will be too overwhelming. While this can happen, people tend to get stuck because they’re actually not feeling their emotions, Hibbert said. “Instead, they think about, wallow in, and replay events. But they are not letting themselves really feel the pain, loss, sadness, anger, that is lurking within.”

Hibbert developed a method called TEARS – “Talking, Exercising, Artistic expression, Recording or writing experiences, and Sobbing” – to help individuals cope with their emotions, particularly with grief. “These five things can give us something to do when feeling overwhelmed by life stress.”

She also suggested clients set a time limit to feel their emotions every day. Even 15 minutes can help to process your emotions.

Read the full-article here -

Therapists Spill: 14 Ways to Get Through Tough Times

Best wishes to anyone who is struggling at the moment!

Ayjaydee

Hope you are all well and if not I wish you all the best for an improvement in your mood.

I found this phrase on a site and then plugged it into Google as I am fond of doing just out of curiosity.

Ignoring your emotions is “like trying to run away from something that’s right on your shoulder. The only way to truly be free is to stop and face your emotions,” said Hibbert, who also specializes in women’s mental health, postpartum issues and parenting.

Still, you might worry that your emotions will be too overwhelming. While this can happen, people tend to get stuck because they’re actually not feeling their emotions, Hibbert said. “Instead, they think about, wallow in, and replay events. But they are not letting themselves really feel the pain, loss, sadness, anger, that is lurking within.”

Hibbert developed a method called TEARS – “Talking, Exercising, Artistic expression, Recording or writing experiences, and Sobbing” – to help individuals cope with their emotions, particularly with grief. “These five things can give us something to do when feeling overwhelmed by life stress.”

She also suggested clients set a time limit to feel their emotions every day. Even 15 minutes can help to process your emotions.

I'm always envious of modern day self appointed gurus who can take the freely available teachings of past teachers ,repackage it in hip language, and sell it for a profit

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I'm always envious of modern day self appointed gurus who can take the freely available teachings of past teachers ,repackage it in hip language, and sell it for a profit

Are you just being a wee bit cynical here? :)

There are many ways people handle their challenges and I say whatever floats your boat in terms of seeking assistance. Not sure if most psychologists would consider themselves self-appointed "gurus". The Buddha was very psychological in his teachings.

There are all kinds of personalities in this world of ours and what works for one person may be useless to somebody with a different disposition.That is why Buddha gave an estimated 80,000 teachings ... and there have been countless other teachers all wanting to help people out of their suffering.

Wishing you all the best.

Ayjaydee

There are many ways people handle their challenges and I say whatever floats your boat in terms of seeking assistance. Not sure if most psychologists would consider themselves self-appointed "gurus". The Buddha was very psychological in his teachings.

There are all kinds of personalities in this world of ours and what works for one person may be useless to somebody with a different disposition.That is why Buddha gave an estimated 80,000 teachings ... and there have been countless other teachers all wanting to help people out of their suffering.

Buddha gave one teaching in many ways. And of course I'm cynical
Deepak Chopra et al are enough to make anyone cynical

sciatica

Notable Member

he is much more than cynical

sciatica

Notable Member
geof nice post
perhaps this thead goes in psychology.
im interested in your topic. we cant ignore emotions. exactly.
get into healthy habits of meditation and prayer. distance from thoughts and emotions.
its like we aim to be a 3rd person . the observer more than the actor.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
geof nice post
perhaps this thead goes in psychology.
im interested in your topic. we cant ignore emotions. exactly.
get into healthy habits of meditation and prayer. distance from thoughts and emotions.
its like we aim to be a 3rd person . the observer more than the actor.

Glad to please someone :)

Yes meditation is a healthy habit - I doubt I would still have most of my marbles if i hadn't started meditating over 30 years ago! I was almost "forced" into it.

Observing your thoughts as they come & go is something not a lot of us are doing. The best advice I ever read was to observe them with friendly curiosity.

I do this most of the time but I do still have my moments!

Thanks again for the feed-back.

Enjoy yoru day!

Gambrinus

accumulative error

Geoff, thanks for posting this good information.
I liked it when you said (what ever floats your boat in terms of seeking assistance) it shows that you have an open mind and a willing to learn.
If we are not capable of learning we are not capable of teaching anything useful.

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Geoff, thanks for posting this good information.
I liked it when you said (what ever floats your boat in terms of seeking assistance) it shows that you have an open mind and a willing to learn.
If we are not capable of learning we are not capable of teaching anything useful.

Thanks fro the feed-back!

Yes - I like to think my mind is open as possible.

I try to respect every individual's right to make up their own mind - just as long as they are not harming themselves or anyone else!

We need ALL the help we can get! :)

I know what it feels like to be angry & cynical so nobody is more amazed than me ...

Wishing you all the best and try this site if anyone wants to read about the benefits of an open-mind -

Being open-minded can be really tough sometimes. Most of us are brought up with a set of beliefs and values and, throughout our lives, tend to surround ourselves with people who share the same values and beliefs. Therefore, it can be difficult when we're faced with ideas that challenge our own and, though we may wish to be open-minded, we may struggle with the act of it from time to time.

I'd like to say I'm a fairly open-minded person, but, like most people, I do have some pretty strong views about specific topics and find it hard to sway from those opinions -- no matter how others might try to persuade me. Of course, I fully believe that having strong beliefs can be a wonderful thing and I believe we should all stay true to what we believe in, but having strong beliefs doesn't have to mean having a closed mind.

Though it can be tough to do sometimes, I've always found that when I open my mind, I've reaped a lot of rewarding benefits. There is much to be gained from opening the door to your mind and letting new ideas and beliefs come in. Here are just a few of the benefits I've uncovered when I've taken the time to view the world around me with an open mind...

Read the rest here -

7 benefits of being open-minded

May not be precisely on topic but it is my thread so I can bend the rules a little ...

CIao!

sciatica

Notable Member
as Christians we are warned of the dangers of relativism. creating truths to suit ourselves.
but now i see there is more danger in inflexible absolutism and dogmatism.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
as Christians we are warned of the dangers of relativism. creating truths to suit ourselves.
but now i see there is more danger in inflexible absolutism and dogmatism.

I was raised on some pretty-heavy dogma and was convinced I was headed for eternal damnation because as a teenager I couldn't stop myself from having lustful thoughts and even thinking about sex outside of marriage is a sin.

Then I discovered that other religions also have different dogma and they were completely convinced they were owners of "absolute truth" as revealed by the creator ...

If anything I favour Buddhism but there is some great stuff in most religions if we all kept mindful of the golden rule it would transform the planet!

Thanks for sharing and wishing you all the best. And don't fall for anyone's dogma - even mine!

:)