• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

German Jews - threatened and unsafe

Jedster

I am rather shocked to read this. I am 60 and I think that the last time I heard an anti-semitic remark was nearly 40 years ago. That was from two brothers, both violent criminals with neo nazi links. I am truly sorry for what you have experienced. Perhaps it is different for me, I am an east Londoner. Jewish people have been coming here for more than a century to escape persecution and this must have had an effect on local culture. I guess it is not the same throughout the UK.
@rocala Apologies for the late reply.
It is only a certain type of person who is racist and does not pertain to any particular nationality. So far , in all my travels, I have yet to be in a place that is free of racism.
These days there are so many more groups to hate than there was in my youth(1950s). The racism I remember was against Jews & Black people.
My father had a business partner who was a lay preacher(Christian) and was a black man. They opened affordable housing in Hackney, which was desperately needed. I am sure you can imaging the comments of some people seeing a Jew and a Black person together, both born in England incidentally,actually getting something good together.

It seems that the extreme right is rising in Germany again. What are your thoughts about this ?
I also read the article you posted about the rise in crime in France. It seems it is time to leave Europe again, do you agree ?
@Jake1001
Extreme right(or left) anywhere should make everyone worry.
Whether people should leave Europe or not depends on their real situation.
The way things are presented in the media, can often cause people to think things are worse than they are.
I have met plenty of Jews who live in Germany and plenty of Israelis(Jews & Arabs) live in Germany.
I even have a relative who survived Nazi-occupied Ukraine and is now living in Nuremberg. Never heard any of them complain.

As for Jews leaving Europe en masse,no I don't agree.
I just don't think it's at that level, even though the media would have us believe that.

Flankerl

What a fun article.

Jake I live in Germany and take foreign news on the AfD with a heavy grain of salt.
The AfD stands for Conservative ideas who were found in Merkels party in the 90s.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
@rocala Apologies for the late reply.
It is only a certain type of person who is racist and does not pertain to any particular nationality. So far , in all my travels, I have yet to be in a place that is free of racism.
These days there are so many more groups to hate than there was in my youth(1950s). The racism I remember was against Jews & Black people.
My father had a business partner who was a lay preacher(Christian) and was a black man. They opened affordable housing in Hackney, which was desperately needed. I am sure you can imaging the comments of some people seeing a Jew and a Black person together, both born in England incidentally,actually getting something good together.

@Jake1001
Extreme right(or left) anywhere should make everyone worry.
Whether people should leave Europe or not depends on their real situation.
The way things are presented in the media, can often cause people to think things are worse than they are.
I have met plenty of Jews who live in Germany and plenty of Israelis(Jews & Arabs) live in Germany.
I even have a relative who survived Nazi-occupied Ukraine and is now living in Nuremberg. Never heard any of them complain.

As for Jews leaving Europe en masse,no I don't agree.
I just don't think it's at that level, even though the media would have us believe that.

You are probably fine in the UK, Jed, but I suggest you keep your eyes wide open.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
What a fun article.

Jake I live in Germany and take foreign news on the AfD with a heavy grain of salt.
The AfD stands for Conservative ideas who were found in Merkels party in the 90s.
The article is not fun and neither is the AfD. If you live in Germany you might consider moving.

Flankerl

Do you even realise why the AfD got so many votes during the last state elections?
It has very little to do with the electorate wanting to string up "non-Germans".

We can of course discuss the whys and why nots about the AfD more in detail but please no scaremongering articles.
And also don't base your opinion about something on a single article, if we do that we might as well just quote Guardian articles.

"Street protests rapidly descend into right-wing chants of “Merkel must go!”"

Oh my. Then half of Germany is right-wing, me included.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Do you even realise why the AfD got so many votes during the last state elections?
It has very little to do with the electorate wanting to string up "non-Germans".

We can of course discuss the whys and why nots about the AfD more in detail but please no scaremongering articles.
And also don't base your opinion about something on a single article, if we do that we might as well just quote Guardian articles.
My opinion is based on many years of studying European history. No worries, I will keep a close eye on this issue and report my findings. You are welcome to debate my findings and conclusions. Please cite reputable sources, as I do.

Flankerl

My opinion is based on many years of studying European history. No worries, I will keep a close eye on this issue and report my findings. You are welcome to debate my findings and conclusions. Please cite reputable sources, as I do.

Years of studying European History. I see. Well I live here, does that count for something? Let me guess, it doesn't.

So tell me, why do you think did the AfD get 15,1% in Baden-Württemberg, 12,6% in Rhineland-Palatinate and 24,2% in Saxony-Anhalt?

And because its very much related, why were all polls off by quite some percentages regarding the AfD?

Most Jews I know don't really fear the Neo Nazis as they've become harder to identify but rather other people. But if I open this can of beans here the usual will happen, so I won't.
is that anything new, it's not what you know that you fear the most but rather what you don't know and can't figure out that you fear most. All I can say to you is support them and let them know you are there for them. Is it safe to say the antisemitism is close to what it was before WW2?