• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genes Influence Gender Identity

Michelle

We are all related
All babies start out the same in the womb, other than our unique DNA and genes, and our chromsomes. Normally we are X X (female) or XY (male), however, there are XXY, XYY, and XO chromosomes as well. The fetus will start to turn female unless testosterone and dehydrocorticosterone are introduced to the fetus. The SRY Gene (Sex-Determining Region of the Y chromosome) will determine whether or not we have XX or XY chromosomes and will release TDF (Testes Determining Factor) which turns the gonad into testes. The testes then release androgens such as testosterone and dehydrocorticosterone which will complete the developement to male. There is a window of opportunity for this to happen and things can go astray. Our sex isn't as easy as male or female in those times or when we have the XXX, XYY, or CO chromosomes.

We all have 5 semi-independent attributes of gender.
1, Gender.
2, Physical Appearance.
3, Brain Sex
4, Sexual Orientation
5, Gender Identity
It is possible for us to indentify ourselves as male or female differently in any of these 5 areas. This can create many possiblities as to how we indentify ourselves. Male, Female, Gay Guy, Gay girl, male to female transexual, female to male transexual, blah blah blah.
Reseachers at UCLA have found found 18 genes that were more strongly active in male embryonic brains, and 36 that were revved up in females. The finding suggests that genes play an important role in the early development of sexual identity, and probably have much to do with shaping gender in the mammalian brain. "This refutes the notion that hormones are the sole influence in gender identity," says Vilain.

link to the full UCLA article which was published Oct 24, 2003 in Psychology Today Magazine

http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20031024-000002.html

Other sources for this entry

http://www.indiana.edu/~lggender/sex-vs-gender.html

http://www.ren.org/bushong.html

QTpi

Mischevious One
Michelle said:
The SRY Gene (Sex-Determining Region of the Y chromosome) will determine whether or not we have XX or XY chromosomes
I just wanted to clarify something in your post. Whether we have XX or XY chromosomes is determined at conception. It depends on whether the fertilizing sperm contains an X or a Y chromosome to pair up with the X chromosome in the egg. A gene doesn't change a chromosome, but it can affect which other genes are "turned on" as you went on to explain.

chuck010342

you can see clearly how much Planning God had to do in order to create human beings. There is still no scientific evidence out there to prove that sexual orinitation is 100% cause by genes in our bodies

Michelle

We are all related
chuck010342 said:
you can see clearly how much Planning God had to do in order to create human beings. There is still no scientific evidence out there to prove that sexual orinitation is 100% cause by genes in our bodies
Does it really matter? Can God send a homosexual to 50 percent hell? Why should a fair God judge anyone that is gay if their genes had any effect on it? What about the hormone evidence I cited in my entry?

Pah

Uber all member
chuck010342 said:

There is a tremendous amount of evidence that show a genetic cause of homosexuality and an environmental cause. Both explictly remove "choice" from logical discussion.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3441
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3488
Both discuss the issue and both show, by their references, the science that have studied the issue.

-pah-

Pah

Uber all member
chuck010342 said:
you can see clearly how much Planning God had to do in order to create human beings

The previous posts clearly give reference to the fact that "God's planning" created homosexuality in the human animal. God thought so much (if God is indeed your creator) of homosexuality that he included it in other animals. Science has documented, in detail, over 300 animals that have this sexuality.

See Evolutions Rainbow by Joan Roughgarden and Biological Exuberance by Bruce Bagemihl

-pah-

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"The previous posts clearly give reference to the fact that "God's planning" created homosexuality in the human animal. God thought so much (if God is indeed your creator) of homosexuality that he included it in other animals. Science has documented, in detail, over 300 animals that have this sexuality."

i believe that there is a purpose to why God gave me the gift of homosexuality. i always remain optamistic

chuck010342

Who says homosexuals are going to hell? Jesus never said that, Homosexuallity should not be condemed rather people should accept homosexuality as it is. Jesus loves you no matter what and he wants to be a part of your life gay or straigt

Michelle

We are all related
Sorry I jumped to conclusions when you said

There is still no scientific evidence out there to prove that sexual orinitation is 100% cause by genes in our bodies
and I saw you were Christian. So it was an easy conclusion for me to make and that is about my life and not you. I am sorry.