• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay

EyeofOdin

As a gay man, I don't argue with homophobes (who are usually conservative or of abrahamic worldview, let's be real) for various reasons.

Firstly, I can't control what others think. Frankly what others think is none of my business and out of my control. Trying to change people, even if they're being blatantly ignorant, is only going to end up with me losing energy and time.

Secondly, in a zealot's debate, to be blunt, that's not MY god. Those aren't MY rules. Jews can refuse pork as long as they don't look to force everyone else to give up bacon. You can follow your own rules in The US, but the only ones we all must follow are the American laws which are meant to have no ill will nor preference to anything associated with God, spirit or religion.

If in your culture, you believe a man is dishonorable for marrying a man, whatever. I'm not of that worldview though. Your sky god, honestly, doesn't mean anything to me, like how my gods mean little to you. Just like how I can't control others' ignorance, they can't control my love.

I don't waste my time with people converting me because neither of us has control over the other.

gsa

As a gay man, I don't argue with homophobes (who are usually conservative or of abrahamic worldview, let's be real) for various reasons.

Firstly, I can't control what others think. Frankly what others think is none of my business and out of my control. Trying to change people, even if they're being blatantly ignorant, is only going to end up with me losing energy and time.

Secondly, in a zealot's debate, to be blunt, that's not MY god. Those aren't MY rules. Jews can refuse pork as long as they don't look to force everyone else to give up bacon. You can follow your own rules in The US, but the only ones we all must follow are the American laws which are meant to have no ill will nor preference to anything associated with God, spirit or religion.

If in your culture, you believe a man is dishonorable for marrying a man, whatever. I'm not of that worldview though. Your sky god, honestly, doesn't mean anything to me, like how my gods mean little to you. Just like how I can't control others' ignorance, they can't control my love.

I don't waste my time with people converting me because neither of us has control over the other.

All well and good. But we need to develop public policy based on something, preferably something that is empirically demonstrable. If we are being honest, that means secularism. All of the religious arguments are completely irrelevant once that point is acknowledged. No one who is religious has any special standing to argue from their monotheistic, deistic, polytheistic, etc. point of view.

JoStories

As a bisexual woman, I have to ask. What is your point here? I agree of course but I also am a Buddhist who believes in God. I say the Christian homophobes can stew in their own juice and live with their bigotry. So what exactly are you asking or attempting to discuss here??

Thana

Lady

I guess..
Though I don't like to dismiss people just because I disagree with them.

Marisa

But the argument here in the US isn't about whether or not you "can" be gay. It's about what rights you possess as a gay American. That's a conversation you should be interested in because it impacts your ability to care for yourself, your loved ones, hold down a job, etc. I try really hard not to argue archaic mythological perspectives on basic biological realities put forth by a people not sufficiently developed to understand those biological realities either, because I tend to agree with you in that people who place more relevance on the 2000+ year old writings of people who believed bats were birds probably aren't going to be reached. But it is of great importance to me which direction the conversation of basic rights and freedoms goes, and that it continues to move in the direction of granting rather than restricting. You're not the only one depending on the direction of that conversation.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
The main portion of Christians in America seem to not understand what secular law is.
You'll see videos all the time about "this country was founded on Christian morals" when it's the polar opposite.
-
I have nothing against any of the LGBT.
A cousin of mine is trans and my girlfriend is bisexual.
It is vary obvious, to anyone willing to pay attention, that you all are normal people like everyone else.

If some bigoted idiot doesn't like it then that's on them.
-
I agree with your OP, though I do not believe in any Gods, and wish you a proud life.
:thumbsup:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I will always wonder if some people are homophobic because they are Christian or are Christian because they are homophobic.

By the way. If you are a gay man we have something in common :)

Ciao

- viole

elijoe_15

I'd just like to say that as a Christian I don't support or agree with homosexuality.However does this in no way mean that I'm afraid of/hate/judge them because I believe all sins are the same so who am I to judge you when I am not without sin myself.I am called to love the sinner and that's exactly what I'll do but in showing that love that doesn't mean I accept their actions.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd just like to say that as a Christian I don't support or agree with homosexuality.However does this in no way mean that I'm afraid of/hate/judge them because I believe all sins are the same so who am I to judge you when I am not without sin myself.I am called to love the sinner and that's exactly what I'll do but in showing that love that doesn't mean I accept their actions.

Right there is an example of the passive-aggressive thought pattern of many Christians, back-handed or left-handed compliments. Christian belief is binding only on Christians. It's unmitigated and indefensible gall to hold non-Christians to a standard they don't accept by saying we're all sinners. No, my belief system has no concept of sin. So for me, sleeping with another man carries absolutely no divine penalties... the gods have bigger fish to fry. We're subject only to the laws society establishes, which ideally are for establishing something called frith, meaning peace, security, i.e. life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Marisa

Very few people ask for your permission to be who they are. Even fewer ask for your approval.