• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fundamentalism in Buddhism?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, its quite common among new converts to any religion or philosophical school to be over zealous for a while.
True. The shiny object so new and exciting. ....... . ....... . ..... with many old farts poo pooing away at all the
Hub a bub.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think Buddha referred to this as generating karma that is neither bright or dark--the karma that leads to the ending of karma. (Generating enthusiasm for practice.)

I dont think that's necessarily the same thing, honestly. I feel like i've noticed that over-zealousness can be ignorant and mislead(ing). I think that would be the "over" part of overzealous.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I dont think that's necessarily the same thing, honestly. I feel like i've noticed that over-zealousness can be ignorant and mislead(ing). I think that would be the "over" part of overzealous.
True. Overzealousness is a move away from beginner's mind, and can cloud your perception. :yes:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Have you ever experienced fundamentalism in Buddhism?

Personally, I have barley encountered fundamentalism from an overall school, but I have from members of both Nichiren and Tibetan. Then again, I only experienced it from a few members of very large schools; so I'm not sure if it would be fair to classify the schools themselves as "fundamentalist".

Nichiren Buddhism is very arguably fundamentalist, but not necessarily in a negative sense. It is Lotus Sutra fundamentalist, to be more precise.

Nichiren was Tendai, but he wanted Japanese Buddhism to be uniform, and admit only the Lotus Sutra as scripture. In this kind of exclusive insistence on the Lotus Sutra, he diverged from Tendai teaching, and so his following eventually became a movement all it's own after his death.

Nichiren Buddhism is one of the so-called Kamakura schools, because during Japan's Kamakura period- Japanese Buddhism enjoyed something of a thought revolution. Several new schools came about, including Dogen's Zen.

Last edited: